1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Time] Chinese officials want Lin on National Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Feb 22, 2012.

1. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

You must have been visiting all 57 states with Obama when you read that considering there are only about 200 countries in the world.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

good to see I am way off. haha. Go Taiwan errr.... Jeremy Lin.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol, they can have him.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

Some of you guys really need to learn how to read. Its a news agency based in China that said that, nothing to do with China as a country. :rolleyes:

5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'd give a 5% chance that Lin plays for China. The killer deal is renouncing his citizenship and lack of freedom of religion. Basketball is important to him, but his life/family and god is the most important to him. Some of you might of caught this from the Chronicle, Lin is wearing a Lakewood Church member bracelet when he takes it on the court. Lin would play for USA instead of China, I do not think he speaks fluent mandarin, so he might have a hard time communicating with coach, or the media.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think it is difficult for him switch passports then switch back when he is done playing for the Olympics....
    China is now more open to this if he is a special talent. You know, common folks do not enjoy those privileges

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't see why anyone here is surprised.

Didn't China do the same thing when Yao first got drafted? Apparently China demanded that clutchfans.net move its server to China.

8. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

Man, don't you see I am only giving examples of athletes representing China? There are tons of Chinese pingpong/badminton/gym... athletes on other countries' national team right now. Even in basketball, there are Americans playing for other countries (like Macedonia) purely for money. As I said, if the dual-citizenship is not a problem, it could very well happen.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You should definitely post a lot more.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

A billion people and you can't come up with a point guard?

Hell, Murray State came up with a point guard.

China and Taiwan are the Siamese twins of countries; co-joined at the wallet.

11. sinobball

sinobball Member

Meet Chris "Next Jeremy Lin" Tang Zihao, 10th grader. Yes, he's from China.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-OEitS-vJpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

LOL - please tell me that server in china thing China is a joke.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why doesn't rival have any data on this kid?

What I mean is doesn't rival rate 10th graders? He just have a height and weight data.

#113 pirc1, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

they are racist, that's why

15. rju1986

rju1986 Member

And we want China to renounce its secrecy with weapons of mass destruction; but let's be real, that's never going to happen.

16. sinobball

sinobball Member

Just for the record, I have family members in China that are openly Christians. Christianity is huge in Chinese countryside. I don't know why so many Western media reports have to insinuate that China is against practicing Christianity. I've worked for the U.S. Immigration court as an interpreter and have never seen anyone applying for political asylum on the basis of being a Christian successful, because simply everyone knows you would have no case.

17. sinobball

sinobball Member

It was a report on Xinhua, the article is this:
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/sports/2012-02/15/c_122704303.htm

The main point of the report, if you use Google translate you'd see this, is that it concluded that it would be very difficult for Lin to play for Team China, since he'd have to renounce his U.S. citizenship.

Then U.S. media picks it up and it becomes "China wants Lin to renounce US citizenship". Not that unusual to be honest.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Can someone post the google translation?

And I'm requesting that a moderator change the title of this thread to something less misleading.

19. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

The title translated by me: "JLin To Team China? Buzz among fans, but the hope is slim" I guess that sums up it. It basically says fans are calling/hoping for that, but the Chinese officials are saying it's very difficult as dual-citizenship is not viable.

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Once he's over there and his US citizenship is renounced.. China isn't letting him leave. Which I wouldn't mind, selfishly thinking about our pick.. but regardless..

[​IMG]