1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time and Place for Tucker?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hemingway, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Now is the time to bring up Tucker and see if he is going to force his way into the lineup. Since Hinch is adamant about 13 pitchers during the regular season, once everyone is back in all likelihood Tucker will have to be sent down until the playoffs. You can bring him up right now and let White go or send Mayfield or Straw back down. As the others comeback:

Tucker + Straw -
    Altuve + Mayfield -
    Springer + Kemp -
    Diaz + White -
    Correa + ? -

Eventual lineup if Tucker is raking and everybody is back.

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Correa
    Alvarez
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    Chirionos

Tucker
    Marisnik
    Diaz
    Stassi

Who goes if they keep 13 pitchers? Presuming they can't/won't trade Marisnik, Reddick, Gurriel (which they won't).

Marteen likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They can’t have both Alvarez and Tucker on the roster if they carry 13 pitchers. Trading Reddick, Gurriel, or Marisnick during the season is not realistic. Here’s their best roster when everybody is healthy:

CF Springer
    LF Brantley
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    C Chirinos

Bench: Reddick, Diaz, Marisnick, Stassi

Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Miley, Peacock, Valdez*

Bullpen: McHugh, Devenski*, James, Rondon, Harris, Pressly, Osuna

Traded: White, Kemp

Optioned: Abreu, Armenteros, Deetz, Guduan, Martin, Perez, Rodgers, Stubbs, Reed, Mayfield, Fisher, Straw

60 Day DL: Smith, McCullers

*I expect them to trade for a SP and a RP; Valdez and Devenski would be traded or optioned in that scenario. Joe Smith could complicate that if he comes back healthy.

One interesting thing is that there’s no room for a 3rd catcher, which they’ve typically carried in the second half and especially in the playoffs.

Marteen and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hate to be a KOF but have to find a way to keep Kemp. For a low 200's hitter he seems to come up with a key hit, or scores on a walk, or makes a good play in the field. Plus... a good locker room and dugout guy (Hugs for Homers). Besides, I don't think you will get much if anything for Kemp (or White). Tucker is definitely the better player and next season I'd be all in favor of him competing for a starting outfield position, but prefer Kemp through this season.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Kemp is a capable major league player but he has no place on Houston’s 25 man roster. The only way to keep him is to keep Tucker down or trade a better player like Reddick or Marisnick.

Wulaw Horn and Marteen like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think we are in complete agreement. That's why I say bring Tucker up now so he can't get a month or so while Correa is out. Then you have to make a trade of reddick, diaz, marisnik, or Gurriel to keep him up, which I don't believe they will do. I can't see them going through the regular season with 12 pitchers. They can bring Tucker and/or Straw back up in September and decide which one to keep up for the post season when you can ride with 11 or 12 pitchers.

Marteen and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

One option is to use James and Devenski (each have options remaining) as taxi squad players. They can keep 12 pitchers, but if the bullpen gets overused, Devenski or James can be optioned and temporarily replaced by a fresh pitcher from AAA. Once the minimum days have passed they can be reinstated.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Its an idea. Either way get Tucker up now and get him the abs

Marteen likes this.
  8. Marteen

Marteen Member

I go to bed every night thinking about this lineup.

astros123 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

They're going to need to find a time to experiment with him again. The idea that he's already got some semi-reserved spot on the Astros is not at all the case. When he eventually comes up again, I suspect it's going to be his final chance to prove whether he ever will or not, because he got a chance last year, and I think made a really poor impression with it. That's my personal opinion, but I'm also surmising from stuff that Hinch and Luhnow have said about him in the offseason: "he's going to have to earn it."

Now, this does beg the question: when and how do you do this? The team is in a constant state of flux right now and pretty saturated with callups already. I don't think you'll see them bring yet another one up right now, especially an outfielder. And certain guys on the IL are going to start trickling back in soon including our starting CF.

Really hard to see how you get him in there. He doesn't have an offensive track record, nor does he have a defensive track record like Jake does. And if Yordan keeps Yordaning, there's no spot for him at DH. Gotta see him again to be sure, but man, there's a waiting list in the outfield on top of the guys that have already proven themselves out there. Maybe he should start learning some infield.

10. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Trade Tucker for a TOR pitcher. Problem solved

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No need for Tucker right now. He's still only batting .267 in AAA. Let him play the season in AAA until the Astros can expand the roster in September. If he's able to hit well during that time explore trading Reddick in 2020 to promote Tucker.

arkoe likes this.
  12. htownbball

htownbball Member

Throw out April and he's hitting like .325

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tucker was the Astros Minor league player of the month. He is killing the ball the last 6 weeks.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Tucker's time is in July....playing RF for the Nationals or Mets when we acquire Scherzer or Syndergaard.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Still would prefer more time down there to build his confidence and develop. We've got time. He looked rattled last time he was called up.

16. htownbball

htownbball Member

Right now if you want to get Tucker some MLB at bats, you're going to have to have Alvarez play some 1B. Have Bregman play SS and move Yuli to 3B and you now have room to put Tucker at LF/DH platoon with Brantley.

White leaves and Superjack gets sent back down to make room. If Tucker is mashing, you have to send Kemp somewhere. I think Straw's ability to play SS makes Kemp redundant as the IF/OF utility guy. Straw is a better defender in the OF and is a faster pinch runner.

His value to this team is more than it is on the trading block though, so you won't get much in return. If Tucker mashes, it also makes Fisher redundant. Perhaps package them for something.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Mad Max is the guy I want given the package and right circumstances. It's basically right place at the right time. Throw out the high BABIP, he's still a presence at the top of the rotation, at least that's what you're banking on.

IF the NATS can eat a good portion of the salary remaining... I'd give up Tucker and a few other prospects for Mad Max. 30+ million for the next 3 years is rather rough and means we couldn't keep Cole under any circumstance. On the flip side, it keeps you in win now mode (which we already in but it gives us an extra year of certainty if Verlander leaves at end of contract or retires) and it just makes sense.

BUT

A trade for Thor could maybe keep Cole for a bit even though ARB will go up for him. It would also require a bigger package to bring him in though. My gut say's they add Max Scherzer. I can't explain it but it's right place at the right time and would any other team give up a fringe top 10 prospect for Max at his age?

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If I believed there was a a real shot at resigning Cole I wouldn't be talking about a trade for Scherzer.

Wulaw Horn and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  19. CrazyJoeDavola

Tucker right now is being blocked by Reddick. No other way around it IMO. There are no other options as Brantley and Alvarez are going nowhere. Reddick is playing well enough that he isn't getting benched for Tucker.

a) Reddick gets hurt; Tucker plays
    b) Reddick goes into a tailspin; Tucker plays (tailspin would have to start now and go into July)
    c) Reddidk gets traded (highly unlikely as who wants him @ 17 mil and why mess w clubhouse chemistry)
    d) Tucker gets traded (I see this as likely as his AAA performance this year has resurrected his trade value; if he gets called up and struggles again, then his value would be hard to recover a 2nd time)
    e) Astros keep him in AAA all year (unless a) ) and give him RF to start 2020?

I don't see many scenarios where both Reddick and Tucker are on active roster?

20. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

But you make the deal anyways and get to the Cole part whenever the time is necessary. Can't let potential offseason decisions dictate a chase for a ring. In this scenario, you make the trade and deal with the ramifications later and if Cole leaves (which would happen after the QO) then you get compensation.