1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Tim Hardaway: 'I Hate Gay People'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Faos, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

Who wants to bet in 10 years Tim Hardaway comes out of the closet?

2. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Thanks for that. Now go fix me turkey pot pie.

Moving on. From wikipedia:
    "Hardaway is a player/head coach of the Florida Pit Bulls of the ABA. Tim Hardaway also co-owns an upscale Handcarwash with partner Cory Mason in Miami."

I thought he was a broadcaster. Shoot. I just bet that he would be fired, he might not. That team left the ABA, i think, and applied - and was rejected - from the D-League. Our man might have already hit rock bottom, before launching himself into the pantheon of Ignorant and Fearful Celebrity Homophobes. Well, darn. I dont think he can get fired from the team, because he may well own it.

Okay, I lose the bet. He wont get fired because his boss is himself.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Why are people racist? Why do people still physically attack people based on race, religion, and sex? Like I said, it's possible he didn't mean it literally. But why are you so convinced he didn't? Is it because he's a famous basketball player? He may be the only stupid famous person to admit how they really feel. BTW, it's possible he'll recant just to avoid further fallout.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Those comments by Timmy were so gay.

5. blender

blender Member

I'll take that bet, too.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think there are bigger problems in this world than worrying about who's anti or pro gay or why people like or dislike them. I mean, seriously, for every act of buggery there's probably like 50 incidences of lying or stealing or cheating. Yet sometimes we get so hung up on the homosexuality thing that we overlook all the other stuff in the world that really needs more attention.

How about someone come out and say I hate all the NBA players who cheat on their wives.

7. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

well yeah its possible that he might seriously hate them, i just think its impossible to hate a person, place or thing without knowing that person, but like u said theres ignorance out there from people being racist and sexist.

#47 BrieflySpeaking, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

(the primary problem of evangelical christians).

now, i don't go waving the rainbow flag on the streets, but good lord. what is his problem? it really irks me when people say they "hate" or "dislike" gay people. it really reveals their insecurities, in my opinion. why not just treat them like normal people? who cares what people do behind closed doors anyways? the hatred of gay people in america is astounding. whatever. hope hardaway loses his job.

9. hotballa

it's ironic that you say that since I consider myself an evangelical Christian as well. :D

I'm not gonna kill you on the statement though. I think it just shows the tendency of human nature to lump things together into one neat item. Lord knows I've done it plenty of times myself.

Well I have to admit, it's easy to fall into this trap because of the lumping things into neat items that I posted earlier. I've fallen into it myself plenty of times when it comes to dealing with people not like me. It's a terrible thing to do to just say "I hate a group of people" or "I pass judgment on them" simply because you disagree with their philosophy. It's why the Dems and Repubs are always mud slinging each other. They can't separate the philosophy from the person. Hell, even John Gotti was able to respect the cops that arrested him.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he's an idiot for this.

But I do agree w/BrieflySpeaking...I'm *guessing* that he probably made a poor choice of words and meant "I don't agree with their lifestyle". That doesn't sound as cool, and it doesn't roll off the tongue as quickly as "I hate".

I mean geez...BrieflySpeaking even said it, but later correect himself.

Hardaway should know to choose his words better if that's the case. And if it isn't..then wow. He has even bigger problems

(and so i'm not misinterpreted...I wouldn't agree with him even if he did just "disagree w/their lifestyle". But I gotta respect his opinion and let it go if that's the case)

11. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

As far as this being the first in this sport - I didn't see mentioned that Pittsburgh Steelers QB from about 20 years ago who I thought came out - at least everyone was talking like they knew for sure - and he wasn't long for the Steelers after it hit the news. Cliff Stoudt?

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

well hotballa, the main problem i have with the church's definitive and bigoted stance on homosexuals (notice i didn't say "homosexuality"), is that jesus never said a damn thing about them. as i christian i look at christ's admonition to feed, clothe and love the poor, hungry, and destitute. why isn't this the primary focus of the church? instead it's berating all the "immoral" people. to many churches (not all), their focus has become entirely political. and its sad.

one of the most telling and sad instances to me was when barack obama came to rick warren's mega church, saddleback, and spoke about the aids crisis in africa and how it's our duty as christians to help the people suffering over there. after the service the church website was flooded with hateful messages inquiring as to why warren invited a DEMOCRAT to come speak, and about AIDS no less. some guy even wrote "that's not our problem anyways, we should be focused on things more relevant to america." goodness gracious. it makes me sad. wheres the godly love and compassion christians are supposed to exhibit?

sorry for steering this even more toward D&D. The church/gay stance thing was brought up, and i tend to go crazy when i talk about it. :(

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Was I the only one who expected this to happen? The only thing I was wrong about was the fact that Tim Hardaway said it and not Karl Malone.

"This here Karl Malone coming to talk to you about homos. Karl Malone don't like nothing homo. Not homo sapiens, not homo-genized milk and especially not no homo dudes. Maybe homo chicks are ok in them movies but that's all."

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That suit looks kind of... well... not that there is anything wrong with that.

15. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i don't see anything wrong with him saying it in the media. it's his choice. what are the consequences? some people won't like him because of it. big deal.

John Amaechi is a publicity hound trying to make a buck now that he is out of the NBA. that is no less despicable.

16. hotballa

I think Jesus would deal with a practicing homosexual the same way he'd deal with the adulteress. Yeah, what she did was wrong, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I myself have forgotten this before, and I wind up making regrettable decisions.

I honestly don't know why the Protestant Church as a whole is so publicly obsesed with the sexuality thing. I don't agree with the focus on it, and I agree with you, it takes away from everything else that we need to worry about. The only thing I can say is that sometimes people let their good intentions lead them astray. As Christians, we're taught or should be taught to watch out for that.

That's disgusting for people to claim themselves as Christians and make those kinds of comments. If they pass themselves off as Christians and yet are still so self-centered, they should know that God has a special place in Hell for people who falsely use His name to commit sin.

Well I dont really think it'll go D&D since we're agreeing with each other for the most part. Least I hope it doesn't, I've taken a self imposed moratorium form there for a while :D

17. surrender

surrender Member

On the other hand, Isiah Thomas (of all people) said something smart

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2007-02-13-224/

18. hotballa

Ah that Zeke, always a mess of stuff. Magic shut him out for almost 10 years after his retirement because Zeke was spreading rumors that Magic (best friend at the time) had caught HIV via homosexual conduct.

Guess he learned his lesson about diversity

19. Mattj

Mattj Member

The only thing standing between Tim Hardaway and a broadcasting career is the english language.
    It's obvious to me that Timmy hates syntax and grammar much more than he hates homosexuals.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL :D