1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim, find a way to bring Adam Dunn home

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, May 26, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The Reds are having a fire sale and said Dunn is available. Tim Purpura better find a way to bring him home but I doubt that since the Reds probley won't trade him to a divisional enemy. Maybe Zeke, Lane, Everett for Dunn? Backe and Taveras for Dunn? I don't want to trade Chris Burke bt they probley have to have any shot at him.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't want to trade Burke, but you're willing to hand them Backe AND Taveras??

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Link?

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I saw it on Baseball Tonight so no link. Taveras is a decent outfielder but he isn't nothing special. Astros have a better and FASTER outfielder than Taveras in Josh Anderson, who is AA and he is left-handed. The Astros farm system is loaded with pitching and it has no postion players other than Burke, Scott, and Josh Anderson. To get Dunn, you have to give some proven talent and everybody knows the Reds need pitching. Astros could live with giving up Backe or Zeke because they have some studs coming up like Fernando Nieve, Jason Hirsh, Troy Patton, Juan Guteriez.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Chris Burke also plays 2nd base, which are to find then outfielders.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just curious, what is his salary situation? Can't be bad so why would be in a Fire Sale?

Isn't Sweeny an expensive Fire Sale option in KC?

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

About Taveras...you never can have too much speed in the outfield.

Troy Patton won't be MLB ready for a while. He is tearing it up...in Class A ball. Don't count your dominant starters before they hatch.

I would be more than happy to hand over Burke and Scott to get Dunn...may not be enough to get it done, but who knows?

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please.

Anderson is hitting right at .300 in AA, good for 17th. Taveras won the AA batting crown (.340s iirc). So far, Anderson is 17-24 in stolen bases against AA competition, 2nd in his league. Anderson's 7 CS lead his league. Willy is 16-18 in the majors, leading the NL. They've drawn an equal number of walks. Willy is actually slugging for a higher average against major leaguers and has more XBH. Anderson also has 3 errors already, which is a lot for an outfielder. He's hardly an uber prospect, and certainly isn't the prospect Taveras is/was.

I was looking forward to years of Oswalt-Miller-Hernandez-Redding. Only one of those guys is left. Only Patton and maybe Hirsch even approach the level of prospect Redding was, and look how he turned out. Backe on the other hand has shown he can pitch in the major leagues.

9. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Get it Dunn!

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Dun dunn dunnnn

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Double negative, so the sentence reads "Taveras is a decent outfielder but he is special."

I'd love to land Dunn, but not by losing Taveras.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I really hope they dont trade Taveras for anything at this point...he is the only youngster who has shown he can produce....he is leading the league in SBs for cryin out loud!

I wonder if they would take Burke and Zeke. (wishful thinking)

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with you entirely. I think it would be a mistake to trade Taveras. He's only going to get better.

As for Dunn...no way. No way you trade a guy like that within your division. Not gonna happen. Let's wait and see when he's a free agent, though...he might like to come home to play.

14. NJRocket

I just hope that if we trade for anyone midseason, and its a guy who can help us in the future, that we dont make the trade unless we can lock him up....I dont want a rental this year to get us to 3rd place in the division only to see him sign elsewhere this winter.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dunn for Lidge might be doable.

16. NJRocket

im assuming that was a joke :confused:

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd do it at this point. Sell high on Lidge to bring a hometown basher home? Sign Konerko in the offseason, then you just need to find a closer. Bring Dotel back? :)

Seriously though, this never happening lineup for next year would look great

Taveras
    Biggio
    Dunn
    Berkman
    Konerko
    Ensberg/Lamb
    Everett
    Quintero (sp?)
    Pitcher

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I was assuming that the other trade ideas in this thread were jokes.

19. NJRocket

I dunno....I'm still convinced that Lidge is a top 3 closer in baseball. I love that "would be" lineup....it would give us that "big 4" in the heart of the lineup.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oh, I am too. I do feel that having an elite closer is a luxury when your offense is so terrible. If you can add the reigning NL HR champ by trading your closer, I think you have to do it.