1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman: This is our window to win a championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 12, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought we already shut up and listened.
    Books hitting the shelf just now?

#41 daywalker02, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

How much u wanna bet he wont lol....availability is the greatest ability. Cp3 wont even been there when okc needs him

Invisible Fan and amaru like this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Because he’s still gonna make money off the Rockets whether they win a ship or not. He’s just being honest...

4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Tilman is still learning how to be an owner. Sooner or later they all calm down...

mike2k132, Rock Block and Nook like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Harden and Tilman, the gift and the curse.

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

It could be worse....we could have Robert Sarver, just saying.

D-rock likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

Andrew Wyeth painted it best.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

Seems like a lot of dumb, simplistic, general nonsense with of course some over the top cowboy redneck statements that he will come back on soon.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman on 97.5

https://embeds.audioboom.com/publis...#Tilman Fertitta joins John & Raheel with Del

I'm doing all these interviews for the book and all the sudden someone asks you 'Is this the time for James & Russell?' I said 'It is.' It's just the reality that both have a 4-year contract left. We signed Clint & Eric. The core guys will be here for 4 years. Hopefully P.J. we get re-signed. We have Danuel House signed up for a few years. Let's be honest, it's hard to get 2 superstars. You cannot win a championship without 2 superstars. When at the end of their careers, if James & Russell haven't won one, by the time we're able to attract two superstars again, it's just not automatic that when these guys are gone, you get two more superstars. It's hard. It's funny how it went viral but it's true. Daryl & I were laughing about it yesterday. He said 'What you said is true. Chances are we won't. This is our window. We have to do it now.'

When did you know you had a chance at Westbrook?

When Paul George was traded. The basketball world is very small. Chatter gets out there immediately. I remember watching Russell last year. He runs up & down the court like a gazelle. He's by far, not even a close second, in how many points he scores in transition. We went into a lot of slow down isolation ball. You'll still see some of that but you'll see us in transition be a totally different team. Chemistry is great between Russ & James. They grew up together in LA. They know each other. They can look at each other & say 'Listen you dumb son of a gun, don't do that again' and not get their feelings hurt. It'll be great. Russell & James are both gentlemen. I think it'll be great chemistry. I think Chris Paul will surprise everyone & how much he has left in the tank. We would have never won 65 & 53 games without Chris Paul. I can't thank him enough. I think he'll surprise everyone how good he still is.

Do you enjoy owning the team or have the frustrations of not getting over the top taken its toll?

No, nothing takes its toll. All you can do is set yourself to be one of the top 4-6 teams every year, which we've done, and then you need luck. Toronto was down 3-0 and came back and they had luck with Durant & other injuries in the Finals. You can't put a team together & say I'm going to win the championship every year. As great as Golden State is, in the 5 years they were there, they won 3? It's impossible to be that great. You just set yourself up to be successful, one of the top 4-6 teams and then you need a little luck. If the luck doesn't go our way, it doesn't go our way. Two years ago, Chris got hurt. Last year, we didn't hit a couple shots at the end of the game. We should have won that game & taken it to a 7th game. That's all we can do. Set ourselves up to be one of the better teams.

Tilman on 790

https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/fe...wner-tilman-fertitta-on-the-matt-thomas-show/

Did anyone ever tell you to 'Shut up and listen' or how did the title come into play?

Kind of a funny deal. We were sitting here towards the end of the book & I do sit around a round table & want everyone's opinion but something happened and I said 'Y'all just shut up and listen for a minute.' Someone said that'd be a great title for the book. ...

Daryl Morey said he wasn't trading Chris Paul. That was the truth until Paul George became a Clipper. Take us through that conversation as much as you can about the thought of Russell Westbrook wearing Rockets gear.

We weren't trading Chris Paul because with Chris Paul we won 65 & 53 games with him. For me to have him in my first two years, I feel fortunate & lucky. We were fine going into this year with Chris Paul but Westbrook became available. You do the analysis & emotional part and felt this would be better for Chris Paul and better for the Houston Rockets and better for Westbrook. I think everyone is happy. They needed what Chris has and we needed what Russell had. I think both teams will be better teams today.

What role did James play in this?

We were ecstatic. These two guys have been playing together since the early days in LA. They can talk to each other as HS buddies, differently than just bringing in two players who had never played together. They can look at each other and go 'What the hell are you doing on that last play' and the other not get their feelings hurt. Both are 30 and know these two contracts they have now are the ones they need to win a championship in. I think they'll do whatever it takes to win a championship. I've said this over & over, you can?can't? put the best team together, you still don't necessarily win the championship. As great as the Warriors were, they lost 2 of the last 5 because you need luck. We'll put a good team on the floor & then need a little luck to win a championship.

How much have you taken from your business side to the Rockets or vice versa, what you've learned as a basketball owner and taken it to your business?

It's definitely from the business side. Know what you know & know what you don't know. I have a great guy running the business side in Tad Brown, a great guy in Daryl Morey running the basketball side and great coach in Mike D'Antoni. I believe you know what you and don't know. Am I the owner? Yes. Can I veto anything? Yes. But I listen to my basketball people & business people. Do I look at things differently? They say yeah but it works well together and we sit around & make good decisions.

Any things Daryl has thrown at you that made you go 'Wow!'. I've told the audience I'm not taking July off anymore.

It is amazing and you have all these rules but yet things seem to happen. The NBA offseason this year was unbelievable. I think it was great for the sport. How exciting will the season be with all the changes & how competitive the league will be?

Mike D'Antoni?

Nobody I'd rather have coaching this team than Mike D'Antoni. We'll get through this year, hopefully win a championship and it'll be a lot of fun. We're all excited about this year.

D-rock, Deuce, JW86 and 1 other person like this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

Let’s see if Tilman puts his money where his mouth is.

D-rock likes this.
  11. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Tilman or MJ who's a worse owner?

13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Sorry to burst your bubble Tilman, but Westbrook won't do any of that... at all.

That's just the truth. If you wanted someone to fill that role then you should have gotten Klay Thompson.

Also, I don't understand how Chris Paul failed the 5% rule? In fact, he was the one who led the Rockets in the 4th quarter of a crucial game 5 of the Western Conference Finals in 2018 before his hamstring blew up. He made one clutch shot after another in crunch time to put your team up 3-2 in the series.

If anyone failed the 5% rule then it was your role-players who went 0-27 from 3PT in game 7 at home. That's where you should have invested your business acumen and enormous wealth to fix. Instead, you chose to go the cheapskate route and gutted your bench for Luxury Tax Savings.

So shut up with all this bullshit about you having business insight and life wisdom like you're some kind of oracle -- a discount Warren Buffet of the cheap and crass variety.

cheke64 and BigBum like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jordan = WOAT

Worst owner (of) all time :D

It could be worse (to name a few)...
    Robert Sarver
    James Dolan
    Glen Taylor
    Robert Pera
    Buss family (post Jerry)
    Jerry Reinsdorf
    Michael Jordan

D-rock likes this.
  15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

People cause chris Paul cant stay freaking healthy n is old.

I dont get it what dont people understand. A healthy not old chris Paul is a goat. This chris pual isn't. When he good he gets hurt. So idc ic he was mj....if he always hurt it doesnt matter. So that's why he dont pass the 5 percent rule buddy.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Ever heard of the butterfly effect?

17. amaru

amaru Member

LOL don't share this garbage. I'm not going to watch it but I bet they provided no real insight other than surface-level analysis. It's pretty much now or never for all of the NBA's top teams for various reasons.

18. bullman0036

bullman0036 Member

That MDA comment is probably BS but I actually agrees some of his perspectives. Nothing unconventional but seems pretty clear minded about the teams window, the league’s dynamic now, the health factor became paramount and what areas he want to improve (athleticism, clutch time performance, etc.)

He said next 3-4 years would be the window. That probably means Iggy is not a priority and he would rather spend on someone else younger (same reason why he extended Gordon but not Tucker)

amaru likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Smallball effect in this case.

amaru and deb4rockets like this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

That seems logical to me. Tucker is the perfect role player but you have to figure that his production is going to start to decline rapidly as soon as this coming season.