1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman: I was surprised by the decision to dump Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Sep 20, 2019.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Really? Neither MDA nor Morey have a great reputations around the league. Not sure what reality you're living in

cheke64 likes this.
  2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

MDA accepted the seriousness of the situation with the team by not fighting with ownership about the lack of a contract extension. Melo was a gamble but the pressure is on Capeala after the signing of House.

3. amaru

amaru Member

You mean somebody who committed to spending 2 billion dollars on an asset is attempting to use that asset to raise his profile and make money?

Shocking.

Pat and Patience like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Big Dilly most likely.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You need to get out of this slavery mindset. He paid 2 billion for an asset that will increase in value and generates a hefty annual return.

He didn't do it out of the goodness of his heart, and customers will **** on him when he ***** on them.

malakas likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

There isn't ANY other owner in the league who talks so often to the press. Now or in the past.

Why did he buy the Rockets? So he could give interviews and become more famous??
    Just shut up please.

Nook likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Slavery mindset? Dude if you think anything that has to do with NBA basketball is even remotely related to slavery then you are an idiot.

**** you for even bringing that institution up in this discussion. Seriously, from the bottom of my heart, **** you.

8. amaru

amaru Member

*Mark Cuban coughs*

vator and Der Rabbi like this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I didn't say it about the NBA. I said it about the way you treat an investment if you think we should be super thankful that someone invested in the insanely profitable asset that customers help make profitable.

10. amaru

amaru Member

If you think the way that Tilman is running the Rockets resembles anything close to slavery you are an idiot. If you think I have a “slavery mindset” because I’m not shocked that somebody is pile want to make money off of something they paid billions of dollars for then idk what to tell you.

You obviously have internet service. Do us all a favor and use it to go learn something. If you think anything in this thread relates to slavery or the “slavery mindset” then your teachers failed you.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why would he lie?

Patience likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why does Tilman running the Rockets have to do with it? Sounds like you desperately want this to be about something else for some odd reason. I specifically said it about the way you reacted to criticism of an owner using his asset to promote himself.

Yes, I do think it's a slavery mindset to be shocked that a customer would not like it for Tilman to do something to hurt the Rockets. Should I be ok with it just because it may be common across different industries?

13. amaru

amaru Member

And I think you're an idiot for even making such a suggestion.

Would you refer to something sports-related as a "Holocaust mindset"...........well you actually just might.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How dare we!

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Who cares? Melo was not good. The Rockets were a losing team when he played. He got cut. Then the Rockets went on to win a bunch of games. It was the right decision. I couldn’t care less whether Tilman knew about it or not.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I really don't have a problem with any of this. Someone on the basketball side of the business decided that Melo must go. They went to Tilman, and Tilman didn't overrule them. It was the right decision in my opinion. Maybe Tilman was surprised by the recommendation to drop Melo. I mean, I think it's possible.

Tilman was involved. But, the idea to drop Melo was hatched by the basketball people. You notice that Tilman was told of the plan before anything had been done. So, really Tilman signed off on the plan by not objecting.

I find Tilman annoying in the way he's always looking for publicity. But, I really don't think he deserves criticism on this matter.

#56 Newlin, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  17. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The disagreement between MDA and the Rockets was over a few million dollars. Yet Tillman was all in the middle of it. Why? Because it is Tillman’s money and his team.

The amount of money surrounding Anthony isn’t much different. Anthony was supposed to be a rotational player at worst. So we are to believe that the owner almost a year later doesn’t know what transpired that lead to the release of Anthony? That is the biggest load of bullshit.

I’m not defending Anthony. I am not even saying the Rockets were wrong to release him. What I am saying is that Tillman is full of **** about half the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

If Tillman doesn’t want to pay the luxury tax, so be it. Just don’t lie about it. Don’t lie about Ariza, don’t lie about the trade deadline, don’t lie about Anthony and don’t lie about MDA.

Better yet, take a PR class or let your GM and coach do the talking.

Deuce and YOLO like this.
  18. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

The bigger delusion is thinking that just blindly building notoriety is necessarily a good thing. Not a coincidence that the conversation then turned to James Dolan. But who are we kidding. This is the US. When you get that kind of money it’s really hard to not fail upwards in the long run.

19. Nook

Nook Member

According to Tillman they didn’t consult him about Anthony until AFTER he was gone and they never told him WHY he was gone and Tillman apparently never bothered to ask.... yet Tillman was highly involved with Westbrook being added... seems like Tilllman IS involved when it makes him look good and completely not involved when it isn’t positive.

Tillman May turn out to be a great owner, but right now no one can believe anything that comes out of his mouth.... and I supported the sale to Tillman based on his handling of UH athletics.

Deuce, topfive, ElPigto and 1 other person like this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Like many people, I could see Tilman wanting to have his fingerprints all over a good situation - wants to be there for the photo op...

I could also see Tilman being the kinda guy that 6 games into the season saying "We're 1-5, our new acquisitions dont look good, our defense looks clueless and I'm on the hook for luxury tax bc you told me I should pay the guy $160M and he's already missing games!?!? FIX IT, MOREY! I dont give a rats ass what you do - but you need to fix it!"

I could definitely see him as the 'dont come to me with problems - bring me solutions!' kinda guy... plausible deniability...

...and getting Bzdelik back into the fold to fix the defense was the first move - and that meant Melo had to go asap.... then he set to jettisoning other recently acquired underachievers... trimmed the payroll...

#60 kjayp, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Nook and RichieBanks like this.