1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fetitta bets big...[House Money]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

James is only 29, his game should age gracefully as Paul's, so I'm seeing a 3 year window at the minimum.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We’re not going to give up unreasonable assets, to break up this team, to get Jimmy Butler. But we would love to have him.” “You can be the headline if you want to be the headline,” he says. “But the deal has to make sense.”

"We are not going to include PJ Tucker in a trade package for Jimmy Butler." ;)

AroundTheWorld, jch1911 and joshuaao like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

These are excellent and important points. Important context. You can bet Morey could present a handful of avenues to Tilman on rebuilding. And it would be conducted with much better optics than what the 76ers did.

It is clear that Tilman trusts his management group. So, if they are all aligned and have trust, I am sure the process would good well.

Nook likes this.
  4. Rocketsfan3422

No reason too. I agree.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The celtics "anti tanking" approach only worked because they DID choose to rebuild and got an insane package from the nets .

They chose to move on from their old stars and ended up getting two top 3 picks because of it .

If Tillman expect Morey to conduct a fleecing like that , he better hope there are still some shitty GM's around .

The celtics haven't won anything yet . How does their roster look if they don't have Tatum and Brown . What about Smart ? He was a #6 pick by BOS . They may not have purposely sucked that year ..., but they did only win 20 something games

malakas likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets are 3rd behind the Texans and Astros in this city...I think the lack of support for the team would reach ridiculous levels

Rockets tank and it’s 12,000 ppl in the arena, no national exposure, and no one caring about the team at all...I think the team will become totally irrelevant in this city

I’m not saying Tilman will refuse it, but it is something to think about

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rockets, then.

The point is 76ers are not a poster child, yet. Anyhoot, I hate these tanking conversations. Too circular, and dependent on semantics. I shouldn’t have spoken. My point was Tilman answered the question using the better example — the Astros — and we got his answer.

malakas, snowconeman22 and Nook like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aside from tanking....there is the FA route. Like Tilman said.

In 4 years Harden/CP come off the books. They will have Harden's bird rights and he will still be a solid player at, what, 33? (CP's age now).

If the team is competitive (likely) then they will be a good FA destination. I am sure that is PLAN A for Tilman. Plan B might be tanking....but cross that bridge if you come to it.

9. Nook

Nook Member

A whole lot can change in 4 years.

Only one Rockets player is still on the team from 4 years ago.... only two players from 3 years ago.....only 4 players from the team less than two years ago.

There is a lot of turnover and things change quickly in the NBA....... there is likely a 15-20% chance that Harden isn't even an all star level player in 3 seasons because of so many unknowns.

malakas and Deuce like this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

@heypartner not sure if this question is in your wheelhouse, but can someone explain to me how this isn't tampering on the part of Tilman? Directly mentioning a player that's under contract with another team, by name, as a potential trade target seems like the definition of tampering, no?

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Morey has shown that going from Yao/T-Mac to Harden/CP3 tanking is not necessary. Are there mediocre years? For sure. Are there years where you know this team doesn't have a chance? Definitely, but as long as Morey is at the helm I think this team won't have to tank. You don't have to go 0-82 for a couple of seasons to win. In fact, entering into tanking doesn't always work out either. Cleveland had how many number one draft picks? It wasn't until LeBron decided to come back that Cleveland got its groove on. You could argue Kyrie was/is up-trending, but people were debating at the time of his extension if he was even worth a max deal. Since leaving the Cavs, we have yet to see any major proof Kyrie is a feature player on his own (admittedly due to injury, but whatever).

Again, there are a ton of what-ifs in this, and I get that. I feel like Morey has positioned this team to weather the storm. A lot of our deals are trade-able, and we still maintain a decent amount of our assets. Kudos.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good point. Yes, that qualifies as tampering, and we should note that Morey refused to mention Butler by name on Media day, and to date -- as well as never mentioning Melo. fwiw.

He should have replaced 'Butler" with "All-Stars" or "Team USA players."

That said, like many crimes/laws, tampering requires a team to lodge a complaint. And then, even still, I suppose Fertitta can claim some comments were off-the-record, and the writer broke his promise.

AroundTheWorld, hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anytime you can get "Team USA Players".......

heypartner likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

The owner is a rookie and it shows.
    Silver will call and give a warning he may also be slapped with a fine and he will learn.

AroundTheWorld and heypartner like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Didn’t mention his best acquisition of 2018.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better than "I wish my owner moves our only championship trophies to Florida and have his face all over the arena like he did anything but inherit a legendary team"

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Hey I'm not being sarcastic! I love Tilman so far and glad he's a Houstonian and not some yankee.

tinman likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Fly like a Crane.

[​IMG]

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That was a long ass read but a good one. So glad less sold the team. I was in denial for a long time of what a good owner was and now, I have seen the light.

hakeem94 likes this.