1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Threes in theory are better but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 1, 2019.

1. mockster

mockster Member

I’m all for our system, I think it’s wise to take a lot of threes and I know in theory instead of taking that long 2 just step back a little and hit the three. It makes sense but it’s a harder shot. The farther the distance, the more of a chance for a miss because of the force/power on it and just distance measuring in general.

I think we really miss out on some good opportunities to get back in games by avoiding the mid range game altogether. Also shooting mid rangers can get players out of a funk.

To me warriors have a perfect set up, they take a lot of threes but they don’t live and die by it rockets style.

I mean look how many missed shots we have when we could’ve converted them into points

Look at game 7 last year vs warriors missing all those threes. To me it’s not that wise to literally be so predictable

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I support this plan.

Step 1: Acquire 3 all-time great shooters
    Step 2: Let them shoot from everywhere

3. mockster

mockster Member

That wasn't the point though, we obviously know there great shooters but they do take alot of threes but there not so close minded to only live and die by them

Harden doesn’t even take mid rangers and neither does Gordon. They are both great shooters but yet limit themselves or should I say morey limits them

chadyang, Lawlruschang and smp like this.
  4. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

htownrox1, chadyang and cbs1507 like this.
  5. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

3 > 2 BUT,

Effectively a made 2 > missed 3
    2 > 0
    Plus missed twos can put us on the charity line. This is where Faried > Capela in ft %. (65% Faried vs 52.5 Capela career ft%) (Nene is 66%)

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you shoot 35% from 3 and you shoot 40% from that mid range area:

35 out of 100 3 point attempts: 105 points
    40 out of 100 mid range attempts : 80 points

Unless you're shooting at a ridiculous clip, like 55% (55 out of a 100 nets 110 points), I don't know why you'd think shooting mid range shots in lieu of 3s is a good idea.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It adds another dynamic to the offense.

8. mockster

mockster Member

Okay, your right I guess every nba championship team shooting those pesky 2s must Had the wrong formula. Michael jordon scores 40 points just off two pointers with no three attempts

Also idk why people are misreading my post, I’m not saying we should ditch threes, we should make it out main focus but to ban mid range altogether is silly. It’s taking a point of attack away for no reason

Lawlruschang and PDJACK7 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not necessarily.....remember when we couldn’t stop Aldridge couple years back...I wouldn’t say he’s a lights out shooter.

10. mockster

mockster Member

This is a clear example of why living purely by the three is dangerous

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Aldridge
    Bosh
    Duncan
    Dirk
    Gasol

So forth and so on where all midrange killers and aside from Aldridge they are all champions.

mockster likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but it's a lesser dynamic.

HP3 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Isiah Thomas did break it down perfectly when discussing this matchup on first take and why we would lose.

BeBreezy, Sidarma and JayGoogle like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Still a threat the defense must account for.

mockster likes this.
  15. mockster

mockster Member

Missed shots is even a lesser dynamic

It’s called being tactical and unpredictable

Adding a strategy level

Every team does it and every team has won doing this. Rockets have yet to shoe living purely by threes is effective way of winning rings.

As I said we should take a lot of threes but we need to be more diverse

16. YaoMingsSoulja

I love it when these threads come out in the playoffs. Do you realize we're playing the 2 time defending champs? Arguably one of the best , if not, the best team ever assembled? Are you following me? FFS....

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What's your analysis for why a 73-win team plus Kevin Durant aka the 2 time champs aka the team featuring 4-5 All/Super Stars is barely outplaying the Rockets featuring James Harden and role players?

What is causing us to play at their level? How come they are not easily sweeping us?

18. mockster

mockster Member

They didn’t make us miss 27 in a row

Also I’m not Saying warriors aren’t good. Obviously this is why we’re struggling I’m just saying we need to observe our tactics

#18 mockster, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

MDA is in his third year with us. During that span, how many teams have tried this diversified approach to bring down the Warriors in the playoffs? Answer: Every team they've faced except for the Rockets.

Who has come closest to actually bringing them down? The Cavs, who accomplished it because they had the best player on the planet, and the Rockets, who likely would have if not for a fluke injury. That's it.

#19 topfive, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  20. YaoMingsSoulja

you do realize we wouldve won that series if cp3 doesn't go down right?