1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Three picks have Rockets active in trade talks at Chicago

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 10, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

From Jonathan Feigan's new NBA notebook this week. Also has some info on Horry, and why he still may return even though he didn't opt out.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/936837

Let's make a deal -- Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson made himself extremely popular when he picked up a third first-round pick. With NBA coaches, scouts and general managers gathered in Chicago last week for the pre-draft camp, and with the word out that the Rockets would love to package their picks to move up, Dawson was the belle of the ball.

"It's been very interesting for us," Dawson said. "All the GMs, coaches, scouts are all here, going around, catching up on what everybody is looking for. People are asking if we want to keep all three picks. I tell you, having three picks makes you pretty popular.

"Nothing comes out of 99 percent of the conversations. Not much happens until teams start to show interest and people start falling into slots. There's a lot of interest now, a lot of talk. But let's say you're trading a top-10 pick. Why do it now?

"You see if anything bites and set the hook. This is not a bad deal if anyone wants to add to their roster. It's a good draft. It's a good year to have three picks. Even if we use three picks, it's a good year for us."

Most of the top 15-type players did not work out. Some only went through shooting drills. If anyone has made a strong move, Dawson said, it might be Arizona guard Gilbert Arenas.

Retro Rocket? -- Don't completely rule out a Robert Horry return to Houston.

The former Rockets forward said last week that although he would like to be closer to his family in Houston and his daughter's care at the Houston Medical Center, he would not opt out of his Lakers contract with two seasons remaining at $5.3 million a year. But if the Lakers could find a way to send him home or close, he would pack his championship rings happily.

"It wasn't just Houston," Horry said. "It got focused on Houston. But it was any place nearer to Houston -- Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Orlando, Atlanta, even Memphis. It was not straight Houston or nothing at all. Instead of three hours by plane, it was just an hour so if something goes wrong, you know."

Horry said his desire to live closer to home was not a passing frustration. He decided not to give up his contract during the Lakers' 10-day layoff before the NBA Finals, but even the extra time at home did not dull his desire to move.

"It's an every-month feeling," Horry said. "That's why I was glad we were sweeping everybody. There could be more time at home. That's another four or five days. That was one of the main reasons I got mad we lost Game 1.

"You never know. Something could happen. You know me. I can change my mind. Family's first, winning second."

Horry would love a sign-and-trade, but he might find $5.3 million is a tough sell with a 5.1 points per game average.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited June 09, 2001).]

2. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

I think C.D. is the one being "cryptic". Some of the alleged "professionals" have us picking Arenas in their mock drafts, but I think statements like that and our alleged fascination with Pau causes me to believe we will not draft either, even if given the opportunity. C.D. is throwing bait to the wolves....

------------------
    Our purpose in life is to find our gift, and the meaning of life is to give it away!

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Would you take Arenas over Forte?

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

4. enbehay

enbehay Member

Lil Francis: I would, but I'd rather have T. Hassell over either of them. (I know, I know.....somebody would rather have Jason R over them but lets talk about somewhere in comparable ranges.)

------------------

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I read about him on NBAdraft.net and he averaged 20 plus points a game back to back yrs. He would be a nice pick at 18. They compare him to a great player in the league also [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.