1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thousands of Hurricane Damaged Cars Heading Back to the Market

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Oct 26, 2017.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find it shocking that so many flood damged cars can be marketed without telling buyers that they were flooded. I would be very careful about buying a used car for the next few years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...-heading-back-to-market/ar-AAu2MrB?li=BBnb7Kz

Thousands of Hurricane-Damaged Cars and Trucks Heading Back to Market

Almost half a million cars and trucks that were damaged in Hurricane Harvey and have since been sitting in impromptu holding lots are set to head back out onto the roads or into scrap yards with salvage titles. And thousands more that were uninsured are out in the wild and could be headed anywhere, with no information stating they've been in a flood.
    Of course, the same is not the case for the thousands of uninsured vehicles that were damaged in the storms. The Insurance Council of Texas has said about 15 percent of Texans drive without any insurance. And the NICB has acknowledged that while owners of uninsured vehicles should have new, branded titles that denote flood damage, "many flooded vehicles that weren't insured will be cleaned up and sold with no indication of any damage."

This is where some due diligence on the part of the used-vehicle shopper can help. If you're in the market and want to make sure a car or truck is not a flood survivor, some recommendations include checking the vehicle's carpeting for water damage, looking for rust on screws or metallic bolts that typically wouldn't get wet, and seeing if there are water stains on seatbelts or other interior upholstery. Another area to check for water damage is under the spare tire. It's also good to look for mud or other signs of earthy residue in the engine compartment. If interior and exterior lights look foggy, it's a sign the car or truck could have spent some time submerged in water. The smell of mold or an otherwise musty odor is also an indication the car may have been flooded. In short, if the vehicle's history report seems questionable, use your eyes and nose, and then your best judgment.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Do you though?

justtxyank likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good advice. I remember spotting mold behind the freaking gas cap cover of a car I was looking at years ago. Digging around in obscure parts of the car and sniffing for mold might be unpleasant, but you're right. There will be tens of thousands of flood damaged vehicles people will be trying to unload. People and some dealerships.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's fine to sell a flooded car so long as that information is communicated and reflected in the price. I wonder though on the uninsured vehicle -- even if they aren't forced into a salvage title, if they use any sort of reputable carshop to mediate damage or fix anything that went immediately wrong, wouldn't it show up on the carfax?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're right I shouldn't be shocked by this.

6. BleedsRocketRed

For this very reason my dad is coming to meet me in Illinois to get his new truck and we are going to drive it back home to Houston. Too much to worry about after Harvey.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I once bought a flood car but it was a Honda. It was fine.

8. Asian Sensation

They should be more coveted since they’re survivors and showed resiliency.

Jontro and Zboy like this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do you think the flood cars are going to be more concentrated in Houston than other parts of the country? I suppose buying from an individual, there will probably be a definite bias. But, if they end up in dealerships, they can end up just abouty anywhere, can't they?

10. BleedsRocketRed

It is possible, but dealerships don't really move around used vehicle inventory cross country unless they sell it to somebody who does move it. They may go to auction, and after that its free game. However, we plan on purchasing it from a local dealership here (Ford, Dodge, Chevy...etc) and they will be able to provide a vehicle history report. That way we can see if the vehicle was at any point registered in the Houston area during the flood period. If so its a hard pass. Obviously a truck registered its whole life in IL will most likely not have been affected.