1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Beverley from an Arkansas fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman24, Mar 6, 2013.

1. rocketman24

rocketman24 Member

Sorry for another thread on Beverly, but I've been wanting to write about him for a long time and was waiting till after the Orlando vs. Houston game (just got back from a trip to Orlando) to write about him.

Patrick Beverley is exactly what you would expect from a Chicago point guard. Hard working, tough as nails, and a born leader. In my time watching Arkansas college basketball, I've never seen anyone work harder, dive for as many looseballs, or play one on one defense with as much intensity as Patrick Beverley did.

The one thing I will never forget about Patrick Beverley is a four game stretch in college. We were 13-5 at the time and not even on the radar for the tournament. In the next 4 games (@LSU, vs #25 Miss State, vs. #19 Florida, and vs. Mississippi), Beverley dominated THE BOARDS from the pg position (and his 6'1" frame) to the tune of 15 rbs, 10 rbs, 12 rbs, and 13 rbs. From an effort perspective, it was one of the most incredible stretches I'd ever seen. We won all 4 games, ended up making the tournament, and won our only NCAA tournament game in the last several years. He ended up leading that team with over 6 rebounds a game. After leaving (or getting kicked off) the team after his sophomore year, I knew we were in trouble. There's nothing like losing your hardest working player off your team. We went 2-14 in the SEC that next year.

I honestly never thought he'd make it to the NBA, because his shooting stroke was way too slow/mediocre at best and he didn't have many point guard skills (both dribbling and passing weren't his strong suits). He was defensive SG in a point guards body. Given how hard he works, I should've known better, and the improvements he has made since college. He's truly shown that the europe route is a lot better for some players.

I waited till the Orlando game, because there was one thing I couldn't see on TV. Back in college, it took him about a week to become the bonafide leader of the team, despite a senior heavy roster (including Sonny Weems). The fact that he was a freshmen never phased him and his teammates seemed to listen to him. He was always the first off the bench, the one talking the most on defense, the one who would encourage someone who was struggling or call out someone who was acting up. Patrick Beverley wasn't the best player, but he was always accountable and mad sure everyone else on the team was too.

Those traits were still there when I went to see them in Orlando. He (along with Garcia) did the most encouraging from the bench. When D-Mo made too consecutive mistakes on D and came back and slammed a chair during a timeout, Beverley was the one who went straight over and started talking to him.

I bring this up, because every team needs that non-superstar to be a second leader for the team, especially if James turns out to more of the "lead by examples" types. Derek Fisher, Shane Battier, Jason Kidd, and a few other vets come to mind. I think that's Patrick Beverley's destiny as a player: a bench player who plays hard, keeps everyone in line, and isn't afraid of big moments.

I'm a bit too young to remember this player in his prime, but Darrell Armstrong during the end of his career is someone who always comes to mind when I see Beverley play. A leader on those T-mac Magic teams, he wasn't that talented by the end of his career, but he would pick up the other teams point full-court, and hound him the entire way down. He was a gnat that just wouldn't go away. The same could be said about Lindsey Hunter near the end of his career. Knock down open shots. Help the younger guys in practice. Make the other team's point guard work. Hopefully, we'll see Patrick grow into one of Rocket Nation's favorite players. Until, of course, he gets traded.

Other thoughts from the Magic game (my first time seeing this team in person):
    • That stadium was so depressing. I understand the theory behind taking, but boy that has to be tough for a die-hard fan. No energy. No cheering. Just dead.
    • With that said, the stadium and the set up around it is very well done and very cool.
    • Love Garcia's energy off the bench
    • Asik is so much bigger in person
    • Jeremy Lin has so many fans. I'm assuming the huge following is the same in every stadium.
    • Kelvin Samson is a huge asset. Did a ton of coaching throughout the entire game.
    • Carlos Delfino is such a troll. Came out from halftime and kept blocking Tobias Harris' warm up shots. He's becoming one of my favorites.
    • Orlando has a lot of young talent. It's shocking that they may have gotten the best of the Orlando-LA-Philly trade.

I'll put up pics if I get time later. I figured the post was long enough.

17 people like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Great read

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Great comments.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thanks for sharing. Beverly's intensity is great for the team.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Did you have to quote the whole original post? (Not trying to be an ass)

6. moose

moose Member

looking forward to pics. good read!

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good point.

But, OP - - thanks for a great Post!

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

He needs to be careful with the cheap fouls. But, man, I like his hustle, and how he bothers the guy he's covering. I'm hoping he'll make Westbrook crazy, stupid, and gone in the playoffs.

9. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

yeah...he got under Westbrook's skin the last time we played the Thunder....

he's a nightmare to play against for any point guard in the entire league...

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Armstrong is perhaps the best comparison I've heard for Beverly yet, but, when it comes to physical tools, Beverly is more gifted than Armstrong. Skill wise Armstrong was better, especially when it comes to traditional point guard traits -- but Beverly has shown the dedication to radically improve and add facets to his game, so I like his chances of reaching the role the OP suggested, and perhaps even surpassing it.

He is probably my favorite Rocket player to watch (it is close between him and Donatus), primarily because of his defensive intensity and hustle.

I sort of see Beverly as a lower middle class man's Avery Bradley: point guard size without point guard skills, improving shooting, hustle, defense and quickness.

Also, speaking of Bradley, I'd like to mention how much Rick Barnes sucks. Hook 'em.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Odd timing... trying to up Bev's fan stock before Brooks wipes the floor with him?

JK

Great analysis man, keep posting! Bev is a good role player. We've needed a fighter like him for a very long while.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I like Beverley a lot. He's definitely a keeper. I'm not sure he will ever be a starting guard for a contending team, but I think he will have a long career. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. I love players with heart.

13. smr6

smr6 Member

LOL!!

14. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Man...the whole time I was reading this article I kept thinking of TD. Hustled hard and always was positive no matter what. I respect TD and felt bad when he got traded, but understood why. Reading this and thinking back about Beverly's play so far this season really makes me realize that Beverly is TD 2.0...hustles hard, pesky on D, but shoots better and runs the offense a little better than TD. In short, he is TD with europe experience.

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Some times you can accomplish things with out trying... Gerat Job...!!! :grin:

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

In regard to Delfino being a troll... his personality is really shining and I think he's the new "battier" which fans can't help but enjoy watching/listening to. Love what he brings. I think he's the kind of guy who can help keep things positive for players. He has exceeded expectations for his veteran leadership.

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Beverly is waaaayyyy more athletic than Douglas. Probably one of if not the most athletic players on the team...

18. Peanut07

Peanut07 Member

What did he get kicked off the team for?

19. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Somebody wrote a paper for him

20. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

LOL I love the delfino tidbit, that guy is awesome