1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MD_in_Training, Apr 15, 2018.

1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The thing that stupid idea fails to conceptualize is this scheme DOES NOT take away the 3. It doesn't take away ANYTHING. Towns could dominate CP3 all night and they get lit up behind the arc.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

very true but theres a point where theres only so much you can do. there isn't an endless list of ways to play a team without just being unrealistic.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is what half the people dont understand. that and when hou switches theres already an understood gameplan on what to do when certain guys get the ball in certain matchups. but the average person wouldn't see/think about that. they can only see omg dont leave cp3 on an island with kat :rolleyes:

MICHAEL W LAND likes this.
  4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Well that’s the talking point about the Wolves. KAT wasn’t aggressive enough and didn’t take advantage of the mismatches. I’m sure Game 2 will be a lot different for him.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

but that's not true, we don't take the post match up. When we have a guard against KAT in the post, we either immediately try to get a switch or we double from the baseline. I think everytime we tried to trap KAT in the post, he skip passes to an open shooter, and we miscommunicate and they get wide wide open 3's.

Also this was a pretty common occurrence against teams with good big men, how many open 3's did New Orleans drill against us because we are always doubling Davis and Cousins in the post due to mismatch

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is why PJ is so important and also Moute. or even Ariza/JJ when theyre playing the other frontcourt spot. They play the "DG" role where they roam and create the extra pressure and its also on the other guys to read what happens. good defenses always choose to give up something. theres no such thing as covering every single area in a game. all teams have some sort of weakspot but the best teams find a way to counter and win the game

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

that does seem like a logical and plausible (hopefully) explanation. I don't remember EVER watching CP3 play like Cliff.

I think he will be back to his GOAT self moving forward. I guess game 1 jitters with a title contender for the first year with the team can have that effect on even season vet super stars.

8. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

If KATs defense continues to be a sieve for Harden drives and Capela oops, I think we'll be fine. Odds are that one or two of EG, CP, GG remember that they're really good at shooting. Odds are also that CP remembers he's a future HOF'er and stops turning the ball over like a rook. Minn is a really good 8th seed. I would wager that if there was a tourney between all 8th seeds in NBA history, this 8th seed would finish pretty high. Who were some of the best 8th seed teams y'all can remember? This Minn team, Denver with Deek, and the GSW team that beat up on Dallas come to mind.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

You don't think Green, EGO and especially CP3 had some nerves and rust? I'm hoping that's the explanation especially for CP3's case because he looked pretty not good last night.

10. smp

smp Member

My biggest take on the game was that Harden is the clear MVP. Last night it looked like Harden and a bunch of role players as the all star selections suggest. Harden is basically Capela's agent and should get a cut of his next deal.

I was happy with the defense. Nothing to change there unless Thibadumbass starts exploiting the mismatches on KAT. He's a bad coach.

I'm glad we didn't end up playing the Spurs, Jazz, or Pelicans because I think any of them would have won that game.

I was very disappointed in everyone not named Capela or Harden. Especially EG, Ariza, and CP3. Those guys have to make some shots. I don't expect much offense out of Tucker and anything GG or JJ scores is just a bonus.

Ryno needs to get back on the court and earn his check. It's like he isn't even a part of the team anymore. Luc needs to come back but stop dunking the ball with his bad arm. That shoulder is jacked and needs surgery. It will be fine for the post season if he just realizes the limitation and plays accordingly.

The bottom line is I'll take the win but it didn't feel great knowing only 2 players showed up. That might get it done vs. the Wolves but no way we get beyond the 2nd round with that type shooting from our role players. OKC would have beaten us easily and the Warriors would have blown us out last night.

The Rockets did not look like a Finals team in Game 1. OKC and GS did.

DavidRocket and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. illwil29

illwil29 Member

I will say this about Harden given how I have been negative about him in the past about his past playoff performances. I think he has made the necessary changes to lead this team to the championship, going off of last nights nights game. Kudos to Harden and the squad

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

against the Kawhi-less Ancient Spurs and the Rookie lead Utah teams

If either of those teams played the PACERs they might be one down

Rocket Riverr

Tankeio likes this.
  13. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Happy with Nene despite a few defensive mistakes, but if he continues that type of play, We will all be very happy.

Maybe worst game CP3 has had as a Rocket but I'm not worried. He'll be back to his normal form next time.

Ariza? Common dude.. we all know your not a 90% ft shoot but that was sad.

Happy with the win.. I'll be at game 2 with my sons and we'll be cheering loud.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My main take away is that was CP3's worst game as Rockets, even if the box score doesn't make it obvious. He was "OFF", nervous or whatever from the very start (hesitating missed 3) to the very end (turnover).

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

it was a good game but something that will change in game 2:

1) CP wont have as many bad turnovers in the game. I mean he just had some really bad unforced ones.
    2) The Rockets need to hit their 3s (understatement of course) the majority of the looks they were getting were good/wide open looks they just need to hit them. The wolves defense was not smothering them from beyond the arc in any sort of way.
    3) Bench needs to show up- The Rockets bench put up 16 total points (looks even worse when Ariza and Tucker only had 3 points apiece) - for comparison Derrick Rose by himself had 16 points off the bench. Overall the Wolves bench scored 38 points to the Rockets 16. The Rockets bench has been a strength for them all season - even without Luc and Ryno - the Rockets bench especially with Gordon, Nene, Green, and JJ should be able to score more than 16 points combined.

Deuce, topfive, smp and 1 other person like this.
  16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Teague was our MVP. He waived off KAT with a guard on him because Teague felt he had the more lopsided mismatch. Some of those possessions even had Tucker on Teague! (Granted Teague did well against him down the stretch)

Hopefully this continues and KAT wants out to play in Houston. What?

Little Bit likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Don't agree. Even though the Thunder are up they're far dumber than the Jazz because Russ dominates everything. They're much easier to beat than Utah.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fear the Rubio!

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They’ve put it together.

They use to be iso vs their opposite number.
    In game 1 they did some forced switching for favorable matches. Paul George joined the party Westbrook.

Melo had 9 quick points in the first quarter. The Thunder used Melo to get off to a quick start....then went away
    from him. On occasionally he got the ball a mile away from the ball on the perimeter...against Favors.

Against the Rockets they will feature it vs Tucker. Tucker defended Melo the last time the Rockets faced them.
    Melo put up 17 pts by the end of the first half. If the Thunder put Melo in the post vs CP3....no contest.
    Melo vs Gerald Green.....no contest. Melo vs Tucker.....battle on the post; but Melo wins. The Chuck Wagon
    defense similar to Chuck Hayes is ok; but skilled players learn to protect the ball as they go up. That swipe down
    as the ball is lower doesn’t work against the skilled player. They keep the ball high and protected.
    Hopefully the Rockets won’t face them and find out. Adams/Melo is tough for Capela/Melo.

Utah has big Rudy Gobert/Favors.....easier to pack the paint. Favors shoots better this year from 3.....but don’t
    trust him for the duration of the series. Jerbko is no contest. Rubio sucks still.

Just FYI, Barkley grilled the Wolves last night at half time on TNT for getting the Rockets to switch defensively
    and then failed to attack it. CP3 in the post, Tucker smaller than KAT. Gibson taller than Tucker. Others.
    Now every show today is saying that the T-Wolves will adapt. Many are saying that they still don’t have enough.
    I have been saying the same. Thunder are a different story. Rockets will have to switch everything except
    CP3. Westbrook doesn’t scare anyone with his shooting. That what forces switching. Curry step back quick
    release is why teams switch. Rubio doesn’t scare anyone either. Don’t switch on Utah. No biggie. Pack the
    paint on Mitchell. Rockets will force Gobert and Favors and Jerbko on the perimeter.

Sorry people. I was hoping the Thunder would remain stupid. But the so-called experts are pushing for it
    from the sidelines.....guys like Barkley. If the Thunder just went iso with no rhyme or reason like they did
    all year. Then I would say Thunder. Now they have been alerted by articles such as the evolution of the iso
    and post up articles.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  20. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Shoot better than 27 percent on 3s = blowout win ;)