1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thought this was interesting (PF/C)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by edward nigma, Nov 5, 2014.

1. edward nigma

edward nigma Member

The Milwaukee Bucks currently have five players on the 15-man roster that can play the power forward position. They are John Henson, Ersan Ilyasova, Khris Middleton, Johnny O'Bryant III and Jabari Parker. For that reason, general John Hammond might begin shopping at least one of them since they all can't get enough playing time.

From Gery Woelfel of The Journal Times: "Bucks glut of PFs is rearing its ugly head: Henson averaging just 16.7 minutes; Ilyasova a mere 11.3. Neither can be happy."

Currently head coach Jason Kidd is starting Middleton at small forward and Parker at power forward. O'Bryant III is out with a sprained right knee and will play sparingly this season. Henson can get some minutes at center, but Kidd already has Larry Sanders and Zaza Pachulia at that spot and as long as both stay healthy there isn't a lot of time for Henson.

Early on Henson is eighth in minutes played on the Bucks, with Ilyasova 11th. Ilyasova struggled last season for a few reasons, including a lingering right ankle sprain, and he's hopoing to bounce back in 2014-15 after spending a lot of time working with the training staff. Ilyasova has had a lot of admirers among NBA executives since he can be a top "stretch 4" and the Bucks will likely field some calls if he can show that his ankle has completely healed.

Ilyasova is on the books for $7.9 million the next two years followed by a small amount of guaranteed money from his $8.4 million salary in 2016-17. Henson is in year three of his rookie-scale contract and he's making $1,98 million this season and $2.94 million for 2015-16.

John Henson gets my vote.

2. bmd

bmd Member

Is Henson better than Jones?

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No but he is better than DMo.

4. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

If we can buy low on Ilyasova, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It was just two seasons ago that he was putting up 44% from 3 -- and it wasn't a fluke, because he did it in back to back seasons ('11-'12 and '12-'13).

The Bucks should have traded him when his value was high. Hopefully, they'll be willing to deal him on the cheap to clear the logjam.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

In those years he was only making one 3 per game, so he wasn't really lighting it up from beyond the arc.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ilyasova has a contract that extends beyond next year at 8 million, so he's not a good option for Morey. However, John Henson is the PERFECT player for us to get. He's 6'11 and can play a little bit of center when needed, although he'll make his money has a defensive, good rebounding PF.

The only reason he's not getting playing time is because Larry Sanders is basically the same player, but slightly better. We need to buy low on Henson. I would trade D-MO and 2 second round picks for Henson and call it a day.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I would take one of their PFs as a back-up over D-Mo any day! However, I am surprised McHale has not tried Garcia at SF back-up and Papa at SF & PF!

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Your proposal:

Morey: Hey Jason, I hear you guys have a glut at power forward! What do you say we help you with that? How about Henson for Donatas Motiejunas?
    Kidd: Isn't Motiejunas just a crappier power forward? And didn't he complain about not getting enough minutes with you guys last year? How in the hell does that help us with our glut at power forward?
    Morey: I don't know. Ask Medicine N Music. I'm just pitching his idea.

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D-Mo is the exact opposite of John Henson. D-MO can play 4 or 5 and is more of an offensive player with a decent post up game. He also has positive value and can be flipped at a later time. If they need to get rid of Henson, they may as well get value back.

Basically Henson for 2 second round picks and a player of value w/ a premium skill in the NBA.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not sure you can just take a 2 year flyer on a salary like Ilyasova's for a reclamation project. It seems unwise. At the very least acquiring him would end any possible flexibility to do anything besides MLE signings and trades.

I like Henson but they won't just be giving him away for peanuts and I can't see them particularly wanting any of our bench guys as a centerpiece.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What is Milwaukee's biggest need? SG?

I don't think I'd trade Papa for Henson, but I might do Troy Daniels for him. I like having Daniels on the bench, but he is getting absolutely no burn and between him and Nick Johnson I'd rather keep Johnson.

I'd do Daniels plus 2nd rounder for Henson....

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is pretty fair. Milwaukee needs shooters.

13. jedicro

jedicro Member

I like DMO the dude, but I can't wait until either he figures it out, or we replace him. He's the weakest rotation player by far.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Me likes.

Could you give Morey a call for us? Hook it up?

Side note: And yet, I think they like Henson, despite Kidd's inability to get him minutes so far this season.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Henson is OK, but I'm not a big fan. Admittedly, I haven't seen a lot of him live so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

BTW - who was the guy on here who said he saw absolutely no difference between John Henson and Anthony Davis? I think it was the same guy who said Royce White could be like "Majic" Johnson.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

We've already got a Henson type player in Capela.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Henson would be able to contribute this season though. Daniels and a 2nd rounder would be a great deal for both teams.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Don't know if Henson would move the needle much but I think Illyasova would definitely be a useful player. I'm just doubtful the bucks would sell so low on him.

19. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

That's what I was about to say, meaning defensively.
    On offense, Henson shows great strech 4 promise, with a good shooting touch, while Capela plays essentialy above the rim for the near future.

20. Andrew Wiggins

Henson is better at rebounding and shot blocking due to his length. Jones is the better shooter. I love Terrence's hustle, but Henson is relentless too. Jones gets you rebounds and easy tip-ins. Sometimes you want him to kick it out to the open man for three when 3 guys are swarming him, but he has been better lately at not forcing it, taking his time, and using fakes.

Henson is clearly better than D-Mo.

I doubt they want Capela and Nick for Henson. I would give them the Pelicans pick for him. I think the Pelicans will play well enough this season to render that pick mediocre at best. Having Henson this season is so much more valuable then ending up with another project.