1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This years rockets personnel + JVG > than this years personnel + Rick Adelman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 26, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Clutch brought this up a few days ago but it's also what I have thought for awhile. It is no secret that, despite the Suns' resurgence and the Warriors' improbable (fluky?) playoff run last year - halfcourt, slower paced teams with emphasis on defense have ruled the roost as far as going far in the playoffs and winning titles (Spurs, Heat, Pistons, Spurs, etc).

I think this year's Rox squad - subbing in Scola for Howard, and subbing in James/Francis for essentially nobody at backup point - would, IMO, be a legit 60 win vicinity team with JVG. Of course, this would hinge on a few things being overcome, namely JVG's love affair with Rafer...but with Scola (provided it is the good Scola, who is not the bad Scola who showed up tonight or vs. Dallas) in there and a guy (be it Francis or James) who can break up the doldrums if necessary, I think it would be vastly augmented.

This new team - I don't know, the game I saw closely, Adelman had Yao playing in the post a fair amount which I take to be smart. I didn't see the game tonight but from the commentary I gather he hasn't had as much post time tonight, which I think is a mistake (high post is a triple threat position for a lot of players, but not for Yao cause he can't drive well enough, IMO). Yao may in time learn to become a high post threat but do we have that luxury to wait?

2. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

No duh. JVG is a great coach, better than Adelman.

If JVG was only a little more flexible, then he'd still be here.

3. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

Your assessment is dead on but I believe that Coach A's stubbornness is not as perplexing as JVGs. If Yao's low post dominance is evident and destructive against opposing team's defense then I feel he will utilize that parameter of his game until it ceases to work. His flexibility and willingness to change is something we need not worry about unlike Van Gundy.

4. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

It didn't work out for 4 years so it was probably wise to seek some change.

Just like Yankees had to replace Torre.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I hope you are right, and I hope that 6 months from now I am not watching Yao clanking jumpers from the high post and instead watching the early 06-07 Yao being beastly down below. Only time will tell.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sam I feel sort of in the same way but I also know that it is too early to make a judgement about Coach 'A'. I would like to see what he draws up after seeing many blunder in the preseason. Possibly in the early season we can see if Coach 'A' is observant enough to ensure that he gets the best out of all his players.
    It might take longer because to convert players, who have mostly played without a team concept to team players may just take months.
    The big thing I see is that Yao Ming has to be a primary scorer, if he doesn't get it going it won't matter how many assists he has. Coach 'A' has to believe that this is a fact, Yao is no Valde!! :p

7. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Agreed. totally.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've also expressed doubts about Yao in the high post in the past for similar reasons (Yao isn't a triple-threat). After a couple preseason games, I started to see the benefits of using Yao out there. Even if he's not a threat to take his guy off the dribble, he can still do 3 basic things -- backdoor pass, jumper, or pass/screen for a player at the top. I like the extra space it leaves in the paint area for penetration, and that it gives Yao some offensive possessions to rest and still be a part of the offense. I'm not an advocate of keeping Yao in the high post in a majority of his possessions, and I'm sure Adelman isn't either.

At the same time, I appreciate what JVG was able to do with the team last year. 52 wins, with all the injuries we sustained to Yao and McGrady, with Bonzi Wells apparently not giving a damn, and with limited talent/experience with our role players, was pretty good. With the team we have now, and some better health, I think JVG would have been capable of coaching us to a top-3 seed.

But I'm very happy with Adelman, and optimistic about the season. I would say he and JVG are in the same class in terms of coaching pedigree, with vastly different styles. One is a master of team offense, then other is a master of team defense.

9. howe070523

howe070523 Member

exactly.Its like giving up your biggest strength for something unproven.
    Yao is no Vlade, Yao>Vlade.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well, he wasn't flexible. not even one bit.

how do u know adelman can't coach this when we HAVE NOT PLAYED ONE GAME of season basketball.

if we were all to judge preseason, lebron would have been a bust. the pacers are the team of the NBA.

y'all are a bunch of people who complain about everything.

give adelman A CHANCE to show that he can adjust. PLEASE GIVE THE WHITE MAN A CHANCE (word to kanye)

11. blockstack

blockstack Member

I think it's too early to decide and too late to give much thought but yeah...

12. BlackSombrero

BlackSombrero Member

It's evident that this team's biggest weakness is lack of chemistry. Bad passes and silly turnovers only make it more apparent that our players lack knowledge of each other's game style. With more practice and games together I truly believe that everything that Coach 'A' is trying to instill in them will become easier to execute. Just you watch, expect a more graceful and quick offense as soon as these guys start clicking and being more clairvoyant of each other's movements.

13. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

How would you know before the season even starts? Even after the season starts, give it at least 2 months before making a judgment.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

JVG's teams lacked offensive spontaneity in the post season. They missed a lot of gimmes that could've been attributed to our predictable offense (the other team gambled on us taking them).

We haven't seen enough of Adelman's team or the Rockets true rotation to even judge.

Bringing up JVG just seems unfair both to Adelman and the Rockets. Half of the people here wanted him out...

15. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

didn't people forget how the team played when tmac first came here. it took the team ONE MONTH to get the team on the same a lil bit and didn't get rollling until the 2nd half of the year.

so RELAX. hopefully it won't take that long. i REALLY want the best record

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

if we still had JVG then bonzi wouldnt be on the team. we'd essentially be the same team except with Mike James and Scola, which isn't enough for a championship run.

17. yao_fan_2007

yao_fan_2007 Member

If Adelman was our coach last year, with all the injuries to both Yao and T-Mac, do you think the Rockets would even reach the playoffs?

Some of you are forgetting what a masterful job that JVG did last year. JVG is a master coach with just one small problem: His huge ego, and his stubbornness.

There is no way that Adelman is a better coach than JVG with the same roster. This year's roster is superior to last year's, but they may end up with the same record.

So let's not be too quick to forget the job JVG did here. I'm glad Adelman is here and excited for the upcoming season, but let's overreact and forget everything JVG did.

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

adelman's offense + defensive discipline from JVG (which we still retain btw) >>>>>>>>> JVG's no offense + defense

19. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

:cool: So lets see, you concluded this based one preseason game you didn't watch that JVG is better than Aldeman. Okay..!

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It's official. I truly live in a world gone absolutely mad.

Van Gundy is even more unbalanced in his direction than D'Antoni and Don Nelson are in theirs...he wouldn't play Wells at all last season and probably wouldn't play Francis at all this season as Rafer logs 35+ mpg.

Lest we forget what great use Van Gundy made of the NBDL....

And after one preseason game which is unviewed this conclusion is drawn.

The problem isn't Yao in the high post. It's Yao in any post with slow, unathletic players who stink in transiton.

News Flash...when Van Gundy's Rockets were faced with major personnel changes (Francis/Mobley/Cato out - McGrady/Howard/Lue/Sura in) they started their season at 9-12.