1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Team HAS to Lose

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong.....I love seeing our Rockets on a roll and winning more than any other in the NBA. On nights when they're playing with confidence and are locked in and focused mentally, we see a team that can beat anyone in the Association. But the reality is this is still a YOUNG team that wins on confidence and talent for the most part. IMO in order for this team to become a real consistent title contender, they have to play to the highest level of their talent IN ADDITION to the highest level of mental fortitude and discipline. In order for the latter to occur, they must experience the highs of winning and then experience the challenge of the lows when adversity overcomes their confidence.

We've seen improvements throughout the season. Games they would have lost earlier on, they've started to pull out of it and win. However, they've still got a lot of growth to go through. To expect anything else is just being unrealistic. This team can win on any given night, but it needs to go through growing pains to develop the mental toughness required of a title contender.

I think they can get there. I think they have the talent and they have the makeup to develop the maturity. Outside of Howard, the rest of this team is still so young and another year or two we may very well see a window where prime years of talent intersect with experience and game pressure maturity.

In a nutshell, if anyone on here has learned to perform at the highest levels of their profession under intense pressure, they would know and understand the road to getting there is paved with heart breaking and the most discouraging failures. So as sad as it is to see them lose, even worse get blown out....seeing their discouraged, frustrated and dejected faces is a wonderful sight to see. Because I have to hope and believe they're taking the next step to mentally elevate their game. I hope each of these loses hurt like hell, because they'll need the lessons come time to seriously fight for the Chip.

I'm so impressed with how our Rockets have played so far given the circumstances. I just wanted to start a positive thread with a reality check to set expectations for where this young team is at. Enjoy the ride CF.....this team is just getting started....

Go Rox!

2 people like this.
  2. boondoggle

boondoggle Member

I don't know, but out of the top four in the west, I'd prefer taking on the Spurs in the second round.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This team HAS to win

jk... know what you mean

This team HAS TO lose the Finals this season.

wait... nah I hear you

Growing pains

4. sergio

sergio Member

This team needs playoff experience. First round exit won't be enough. WCF win or not would be great for the team going forward.

5. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

just end the last few games of the season with some wins. no late season collapses.

6. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

A team without playmaker will loss sooner or later.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Are you saying James Harden isn't a playmaker??

8. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Today was a lose we needed. A reality check...I feel the team looked passed the Bulls, focusing on the Heat.

9. Muaz

Muaz Member

operation "beat portland in first round, beat spurs in second, push wcf to 6 games reach big boy contender status trade asik and get good vets for cheap in free agency while maintaing cap flexibility" is still a goooooo

1 person likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

lol, repped....well done.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Championship teams have experienced road blowouts in the playoffs. I am not freaked out about this. The team were due for an asskicking. The seeds of this defeat were in the Portland game and the chickens came home to roost. There are plenty of teaching moments in the last two games. I expect the Rockets will lose in Miami, but they still have a good chance to make some noise in the playoffs.

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Yeah I'd be dissappointed with a 1st round exit because they'd be a regression in my book. But even getting to second round a losing would be fine with me as long as they're learning and building experience. The sooner this team gets humbled and learns to lock in mentally the better. I'd rather them take their licks now that get setup up for bigger failures down the road.

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I agree. We have to lose so we can fire mchale.

15. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

his kind of paaaaaaaaassive "coaching" is not the kind of thing needed to go for a championship

16. SK34

SK34 Member

Why do they have to lose? If they can win it all, they don't "have" to lose..

17. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

The wins over Miami and Indiana got to their heads. These 2 losses should knock some senses into them.

18. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Absolutely. That's why they spotted POR so much. I believe the OP's point is that theses guys - despite Harden & Howard's finals appearances - haven't grown up yet. Better for their mindset to be smacked back down right now than in the 1st round of the playoffs.

To be more than a GSW flash in the pan, they need to be battle tested. They haven't been yet.

19. arjun

arjun Member

agreed... a loss is a learning experience for this team...but i really think HOW you lose is a big deal.

the rockets didn't fight yesterday. thats not good no matter how you look at it.

20. masc0635

masc0635 Member

well, what I see is everyone is playmaker in this team except true PG.