1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Is Just Stupid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I know... another gun thread. Sorry.

OK, so if I'm in a grocery store with my daughters and I see a guy walking towards the store with an AR-15, I'm sending my girls to the back and meeting this guy at the door. I'm either going to beat the crap out of him and take his gun, laws and jail time be damned, or he's going to shoot me. I'm not going to take the risk that this is some nut pretending to just be a carry guy. At some point, if enough of these losers keep doing this, there will be one that shows up and starts firing after people dismiss him as a carry nut. And with this guy, it looks like a very fine line, given the note and the reasonable assumption that he thought he would be shot. This whole gun thing has reached the point of absurdity. There is no reason in our society that someone should be allowed to walk around with a loaded AR-15 or equivalent.

2. Classic

Classic Member

He's 22. Hardly a man. Probably still on his mommy & daddy's health insurance.

BTW, I love that age group: 18 to about 23/24. Most problems in society it seems are with kids that age.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

BTW, I love that age group: 35 to about 44/45. Most problems in society it seems are with adults that age. They think they have it all figured out, until they realize they are just as ****ed as the rest of us when it comes time to retirement...if they live until then.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As a 25 year old I approve of both posts above mine.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If more incidents like this happen of guys trying to prove a point about rights is that a guy shows up with a gun and somebody else with a gun shoots him thinking he is a shooter.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How old are you? Most people 35 to 45 are well well well aware of what they do and don't have in life.

I mean of all the things to complain about this age group, complaining that they don't have it figured out seems the least appropriate.

Rather, the problems coming from this age group are more llikely because they do have it figured out, and don't like what they figured.

7. Major

Major Member

There was a similar incident in Oregon a few weeks ago where a couple of idiots wandered around with rifles on their backs near schools - caused all sorts of chaos but it was perfectly legal.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blog...-that-means-the-rest-of-us-get-to-bombard-911

This afternoon, Wednesday January 9, 2013, at 1:49 p.m., Portland Police officers assigned to Central Precinct responded to the report of two men carrying assault rifles on their backs in the area of Southeast 7th Avenue and Spokane Street.

Officers arrived in the area and contacted the two men, both age 22, and confirmed that they were carrying rifles openly on their backs. Officers also confirmed that both men were valid Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holders in Oregon.

The armed men told police that they were exercising their 2nd Amendment rights and hoping to educate the public.

Officers explained to the men that they would likely continue to generate 911 calls from an alarmed public, which would require a police response, but neither man seemed interested in these concerns.

The Portland Police Bureau would like to remind the public that the open carrying of firearms is legal in Oregon, and carrying a concealed firearm is legal with a valid CHL; However, doing one or both may generate 911 calls to police by an alarmed member of the public and that call will generate a police response, possibly tying up resources that are needed elsewhere to respond to true emergencies.

The Portland Police Bureau asks that members of the public who see people armed with guns to immediately call 911.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Understanding and enforcement of property rights would seem to clear this issue up. If the Kroger didn't want him to walk around looking like a mass-muderer, then they could have kicked him out if they so decided. Sure, he has the right to own a firearm (another property right), but he can't brandish said firearm on the property of someone else unless that someone else allows it.

Reminds me of a few years ago when the NRA (I think?) threw a s***fit and pursued legal action against Disneyworld (or something like that) for not allowing firearms in their parks. The NRA was in the wrong because Disney can enforce any rules it wants on its property.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm confused. Are these people advocating for more gun freedom or less gun freedom? People seem to think they're gun nuts, but their actions only seem to highlight the stupidity of our liberal gun laws.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It would be so hilarious if a cop saw him and took the appropriate action. Let's arm everyone as everyone else will know what everyone else's motivations are!!

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Read the article. Cops did see him and DID take the appropriate actions. He got detained, questioned and then released when it was found that he had done nothing wrong.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't know why I put cop. I meant another person carrying a weapon. Making fun of the NRA belief that if we were just all armed, we'd know exactly who the bad guys are and when to take them down.

13. justtxyank

I don't think many CHL carrying people really are "shoot first" types. Are there stories of people carrying a CHL thinking they were seeing a crime and justing shooting someone without asking questions?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm sure there are.

15. justtxyank

Can you find a handful so that I can get behind your theory that anyone with a gun will just shoot someone they see with a gun because people with guns are stupid?

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

FIFY.

I think it's very wrong to walk around with a loaded AR-15 scaring the crap out of families who wanted nothing more than to buy some groceries in peace. This guy's an a$$#0le. If the cops HAD shot him, it would have been this moron's fault, and could only improve the collective gene pool.

17. justtxyank

Yeah illegal is what I meant.

If the cops had shot him they would have been in the wrong as he had done nothing wrong. Cops don't have a right to shoot you for carrying a gun. If he had been pointing at people to where there was reason to fear he was going to shoot someone, then by all means.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This country is insane.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I will do that as soon as that is my theory.

20. justtxyank

You said it would have been funny if a cop saw him and "took the appropriate action." When I pointed out that cops did see him and they did take appropriate action you said you mistyped when you said cop (dubious claim) and meant to say "another person with a gun" and then implied that they would have shot him. This would indicate that you believe people with guns are shoot first types who upon seeing a man with an assault rifle that he is not pointing at people who pull out their concealed weapon and fire.

I'm justing asking you to give me some sort of reason as to why this is your belief?

Can you find one story of a person with a CHL seeing another person with a gun, not in the middle of a crime, and getting hero happy and shooting the person in error?