1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"This is America"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, May 7, 2018.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Great video.

I've seen Donald do stand up as well as perform as Childish. I prefer his comedy/writing/acting over his music, but still enjoy it all.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Incredibly overrated is my first impression.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  3. theimpossibles1

So you find it "incredibly overrated," yet you start a thread about it? Weird.

Did Donald snub you on a fist bump or something?

Jontro and Tomstro like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Its getting mad pub. So i checked it out. Thought it was kinda stupid and decided to give my opinion while listening to others on it. At the time I didn’t see another thread on it. Once I realized my mistake, i apologized and then commented on the original thread here. But since when did creating a thread become a big deal? Especially in a place called “hang out”?

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  5. theimpossibles1

Not a big deal. I just found it curious, but hey this is the hangout and stranger things happen all the time :p

Jontro likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

True story: I know a guy who likes Childish Gambino but only really knows of him by his voice (probably just from Redbone) and knows of Donald Glover from Atlanta, but didn't know it was the same person until very recently.

Anyway, good video. It makes the song. The song alone wouldn't really be great IMO, but take that with a huge grain of salt because this isn't my preferred music anyway.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

He is an incredibly talented guy. Glad people are talking about this video, regardless of what I think about it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I like the creativity of the video.

But why does it feel like every rap song sounds the exact same these days? 3 beat mumbled sentence, break, 3 beat mumbled sentence, break.

9. Buck Turgidson

What does ChuckD have to say about this?

CometsWin and B-Bob like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The best music anything he has done is still the live performance of bonfire he did on Jimmy Fallon’s show years ago.

A million likes and respect to you anyone that is able to embed the video here.

ps I bet you can’t do it

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's didactic (and not in any particularly novel way, racism/cops/guns blah blah blah)

but it's not artistic

Tomstro likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Lando is pretty legit. The song really captures the current state of American values.

CometsWin and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Country fans would get angry, protest and stop buying the artists albums. Country fans are unbelievably thin skinned.

This is coming from a country fan.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

So as it turns out, this entire song was basically stolen from an artist named Jase Harley (he uploaded it in 2016 and it had just 3,500 YouTube views until today). From the rhythm, background voices, rapping cadence, beat, etc. No royalties or credits were given to him by Gambino and that's all that Harley wants. This is the problem with all forms of art nowadays. The established ones who've made it already will get inspired by the work of an amateur or up-and-comer and then bite their entire style for their own gain. Gambino had a #1 hit off of this. Donald Glover needs to give the man his clout!

[​IMG]

"This is America,
    Yo **** get stolen now"

Jontro likes this.
  16. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dude needs to get paid.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No way he's gonna get paid. It's way, way too different.

Technically there's no foul here, not even close considering how different the songs are, but it's just kind of lame on Donald for not giving the guy any credit or shoutouts, or inviting him to help him on the album/song that way he could pay him a little for influencing so a hit song.

It's all good though this hitting the media will probably blow up more then if Donald were to shout him out anyways. So it worked out for the dude in the end, and makes Donald Glover and his team look lame.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Glover is such a uniquely creative mind that I give respect to, but I always had an inkling that he faked a lot of it. There was a video years ago that had him outside a bar and someone asks if he could freestyle? He of course says yes and then proceeds to SUCK. This was a time where he was already known as Childish Gambino and his music was already out there. I wish I could find that damn video.

Jontro likes this.
  19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I actually like that American Pharaoh song better than Gambino's version of it. It does sound somewhat similar. That being said I don't think Gambino owes him anything and this dude Pharaoh/Jase should be happy he's even being noticed.

Scarface281 likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why does freestyle matter? I don't think that has anything to do with being a good, real or successful etc rap artist.

It's about having exceptionally produces beats, great written lyrics, the ability to vocally perform them very well (even physical performance when doing shows/videos) .... and then it's about 80% business with marketing and management etc to make successful rap artist, albums and songs.

It's always been odd to me that people prioritize freestyle performance when almost everything we listen to is written and revised like a hundred times... and I think that's the real rap talent anyways is the writing, story telling and poetry of it all. Not someones ability to slap sloppy rhymes together in their head... which in my experience aren't original or as on the spot as they seem, it's usually a grouping of memorized lines from things they have previously heard or thought of before.