1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Hakeem Hatred is getting stupid.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Dec 7, 2000.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

All he asked for was a few more shots for himself, and a few less for the likes of Kenny Thomas and Carlos Rogers. These guys are not that great. Hakeem is at least the second best player on the team behind Stevie, and he has made a good point about getting more low post offense. He NEVER publicly asked for a trade, and only threatened to SIGN somewhere else NEXT SEASON. He is not going anywhere. All you people who want him to leave must have ZERO respect for what he has done for this team. NO young players are being hurt by Hakeem wanting a few more shots. Even if the young players were being effected by Hakeem, that would simply mean that they were not very good players in the first place.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death?"

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

All I have to say is.

"HAKEEM IS OLD"

[​IMG]

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

3. MManal

MManal Member

ZRB, I dont think your understanding why people are annoyed. First off, Hakeem who is known as a classy individual handled this matter in a completely tactless fashion. He should have discussed it behind closed doors instead of coming to the media.

Another point, whether the Rockets win one or two extra games this yr, it doesnt matter. They are still nowhere near championship material, and the young players need a certain amount of touches in game situations to develop. I personally dont care if Hakeem gets the ball or not, he is getting 16 mil so he needs to zip it and accept his role. Its not like Hakeem is not receiving the ball at all in the low post, he is, but just not as much as he used to. Personally, I feel they need to start establishing Mo Taylor more on the low block when he gets back into action. KT can ride the pine as far as Im concerned.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

But you're wrong, this team could be a contender if Hakeem was allowed to play in the fourth quarter. This guy's clutch play could garner some surprising upsets in the playoffs, but they have to get there first. Hakeem knows the only way to do this is to establish a decent low post game. Not more shots perhaps, but just some consistent play time. Mo deserves more shots too. Less for Mobley and KT.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death?"

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

"But you're wrong, this team could be a contender if Hakeem was allowed to play in the fourth quarter. This guy's clutch play could garner some surprising upsets in the playoffs, but they have to get there first"

Sorry, we don't need to have sunshine up our @sses...

If you think the Rockets can come out of the West without a star PF or C, you're fooling yourself...

Let's see...

Pho-Googs, Robinson, Rogers...
    LA-Shaq
    Por-Sheed
    Sac-Webber

Those are most likely the top 4 teams in the West, and they all have PF's or C's to rely on for the WHOLE GAME...

I could care less about how Olajuwon can do in a 12 min span when the fact is that he doesn't do much in the other 36 mins...

There is no way the Rockets can get out of the first round of the playoffs, and with that, the main objective of this year is to get our young players to continue to improve... Olajuwon's precious stats be DAMNED!

If you're a TRUE Rockets fan, you would rather see Francis and Co. to get their shots and improve...

If you're an Olajuwon fan, then you wanna see Olajuwon get his shots...

There is a difference b/t the two...

I am a Rockets fan, not an Olajuwon fan...

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

6. Summer Song Giver

Can't we all just get along?
    No....well then ok.

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

7. slugking

slugking Member

First off I'm a Kings fan and likec a lot of hoop fans I highly regard Hakem as one of the best centers of all time. But It just really depressing seeing him out there.When we were there in Houston, I believe he missed 9 straight shots and maybe had one board. He doesn't even look like he belongs in the league anymore.

Please Dream please retire you're embarrasing yourself [​IMG]

------------------

8. treeman

treeman Member

My only thoughts on the subject are:

1) Hakeem can have as much time as he wants (feels ready to play), but not at the expense of Cuttino's PT. Cat is definitely more valuable at this point - no question.

2) Kenny should see more PT (at the expense of Hakeem's minutes). I think he might very well develop into a good PF, maybe a starter. Only time - and more PT - will tell.

3) We shouldn't be afraid to play Jason Collier when he gets back. He'll never be close to Hakeem in terms of prowess, but he is younger - and he will play more in the future, regardless (just like the other youngsters, he needs more PT to reach his full potential).

------------------

9. BlazerGal

BlazerGal Member

I disagree with that. Hakeem's actually fiding himself and and is proving he still DOES belong in the league for whoever doubted that from his level of play last year.

We can't call him Hakeem of the old, but he's still got it. You Rocket fans should have more faith in the guy cuz he's always been the guy who never let you down. he ain't going no where next year. and the Rocket organization is no New York Knicks! Hakeem will retire a "proud" Rocket.

------------------
    Blazing to the Title!

10. slugking

slugking Member

I'm a Kings fan visiting.

It's really painful to watch such a great person and player play at such a level that is so depressing to watch.It's li watching Jack Nicholus and Arnold Palmer play Golf.He should have retired two year ago.

Just my opinion.

------------------

11. treeman

treeman Member

Wow, a Blazer fan telling us to have more faith in Hakeem... Kinda puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

He still should've told the staff before the media.

------------------

12. MManal

MManal Member

ZRB, Rockets could be contendors this yr if Olajuwon got more touches? Now Ive heard it all. Before making ridiculous statements like that go watch some of the Western conference teams ie Portland, LA, SA, SAC, Phoenix. You know who these teams are right? When your done, if you have any semblance of basketball understanding, you will see the Rockets are a few yrs away. Even the most devout of Rockets fans believe that.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

slugking, you've probably seen Dream play once this year, vs. your team. And it was his worst game of the season. Unless you've been watching the Rox in other games, how can you have such a strong opinion on his level of play?

I'm not saying Hakeem is a great player anymore, but he's at least average among centers. Heck, he's outscoring and outshooting your man Divac, playing fewer minutes.

------------------
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve immortality by not dying. - Woody Allen

14. haven

haven Member

First of all, Hakeem is still a contributor, SlugKing. He's probably still in the top half of centers in the league, and can still shoot and board.

The problem is that he thinks he's still a star.

ZRB: Whatever Moe's woeful problems with defense and rebounding, his posts are probably more valuable than hakeems.

You're also deluding yourself if you think that Hakeem is more important than Mobley (and this is coming from an unabashed Mobley critic).

The media was a *completely* inappropriate venue for his complaints: that's how teams disintegrate.

zrb: do you *really* believe that Rudy is somehow purposefully keeping shots from hakeem? i can't believe that.

besides, we have a problem alread with shots. Anderson *doesn't get enough*, Francis *doesn't shoot enough*, and we need more O from taylor as well. With that many players needing shots, getting more to Hakeem to appease his feelings is pretty low on the priority list.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

15. stringthing

stringthing Member

Hakeem is my favorite Rocket...

That said, I am very bummed that he may choose to extend his carrer and that he will probably have to do it in another uniform.

It is difficult to watch a player come to grips with what all players eventually must, age. Dreams entire game was predicated on cat-like quickness and losing a step or two is more damaging to him than it would be to a "banger" like Shaq. I would hope that Rudy would give Dream the additional minutes and touches he wants, and that his streak of improved play would continue for the rest of this season. Hopefully Dream would reconsider and bow out with the class and style that I will always associate with him.

------------------

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

All I want is for Hakeem to be able to play in the fourth quarter, and play consistent minutes. Besides Shaq and maybe David Robinson, I don't see any other spectacular Centers in the west. If Hakeem averaged 15-8, you don't think we'd be contenders in the playoffs? He could reach those numbers if he got consistent minutes and just 3 or 4 more shots.

League pass has helped me to watch plenty of other teams in the west To be honest, Sacramento is probably the best team I have seen. Phoenix has no center or quality PF. LA has had some chemistry problems (losing to Warriors?) Seattle is crap. The Blazers can be mediocre at times (losing to Atlanta?)The Jazz will be half-dead by April. The Rockets have shown the ability to play with and beat many of these teams.

Perhaps I jumped the gun calling them contenders, however, if they can start playing consistently by March and April, they could become a problem for other teams in the playoffs.
    If Hakeem can get some decent minutes, and the Rockets can develop a consistent game-plan, they could be very dangerous.
    What if the Rockets were 12-6 right now. I bet people would be a lot more optimistic than a first round sweep. The Rockets could have been 12-6 right now if they had beaten LAC and Boston. That is comforting to me. Once the Rockets can beat teams like this, they will be in great shape.
    This all revolves around the Rockets developing a consistent post game (as many of you have said). They can do this only by trying their best to involve Mo and Hakeem much more.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited December 08, 2000).]

17. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

MManal, I think you are wrong to write off the Rockets' chances of going far in the playoffs anytime soon. The Rockets have played some very good games so far this year. The majority of the season remains. Only slight improvement in any number of areas could make a difference.

Who thought Sacremento would be playing so well this year. Many people, myself included, thought the Kings were the most likely team the Rocks could catch to make the playoffs.

As long as hard work and talent aren't a problem, then it mainly comes down to attitude. I think there are enough players on the Rocks with "the attitude". Stevie, Cuttino & Hakeem have the attitude and talent. If enough people are healthy, it is not far-fetched that the Rocks could do damage in the playoffs this year.

------------------

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Thankyou Moe.

------------------

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I agree with ZRB on most things. Hakeem needs to get more touches, and Mobley needs to quit jacking up those stupid jumpers. I think the Rockets are playoff bound and could have an upset

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    Who Else? The Washington SUCKskins!!!!!!!!! $100 Million down the drain!!!!!!! :):):)

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

im sorry ZRB but I side with MManal. Dream is way past his prime, the rockets need to let the young players grow and especially get mo taylor more pt and touches, he can be a mad baller for this team he just needs a little time and trust from rudyt. If dream wants to leave after this yr, itll be sad but its for the best.

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic