1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Third Place Best of 5 Series

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, May 31, 2018.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So, with the innevetiably of a Cavs Warriors finals actually realized, I couldn't help but wonder, would fans actually watch a third place series? Fifa has it, and I get the imposition that since they only meet once every four years it's a great consolation prize, but if the NBA adopted a similar out would you watch? I hate to say it, as much as it pains me I would. I know it isn't worth much, or really anything, but I would watch. I won't watch these finals. I don't see any players signing into this, but I thought it might be a fun thought experiment to say the least.

Also, I chose best of 5 such that there's no way it could last longer than the NBA finals itself. Maybe best of 3?

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

No. There's no honor in being 3rd place.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Katy already bought the rights to that by riding b****.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

throw in a first round pick for the winner and its a great idea

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean I wouldn't hate that addition.

Truthfully, as sad as I would be, if Rockets vs. Celtics was on tonight I would watch. Even if CP3 would be out.

hakeem94 and B-Bob like this.
  6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

How about winner gets a player from the other team and you can protect 3 players?

Jontro, hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about winner gets a player from the CHAMPIONSHIP team?

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  8. HookemHorns1250

I think those that reach the conference finals and lose are just going to be too upset/demoralized after the series, that I don’t see why they’d ever agree to play for a 3rd place. Not to mention you’re risking possible injury for a 3rd place spot that has no incentives what so ever.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  9. Game7

Game7 Member

I was just saying that I would like this idea the other day. It's just a matter of giving people more games to watch. I doubt it ever happens, but this is the year I would love to see it for obvious reasons. The Celtics and Rockets was the finals I was hoping for.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I would watch.

This spark the idea of cross conf match up. With the final 4 teams, #higher ranking W vs #lower ranking E and vise versa.

For this year, it would be rockets vs cavs and Celtics vs Warr. Solve some of the issue of one conference being much weaker than the other.

11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

People would watch it, but the basketball season is way too long as it is. Plus if one team was swept and another team went 7 games, it would give the team that got swept an advantage, which seems wrong.

iconoclastic likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If the regular season was 60 games long, yes, I think people would go for it.

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No. They had those at the WC soccer and it just sucks. Nobody wants to be there. And fans do not like it. And with soccer it is just ome game.

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

incentives!
    give the winner a 1st round pick and teams would gladly play and fans would gladly watch

15. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

How about they just train their refs better?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3rd best in the World though.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you ain't first you're last, particularly in this sport where titles seem to be the sole determining factor of greatness.

It could be mildly interesting if they incentivized it for the fans and the players. Maybe create a top 5 pick that goes to the winner, and a huge payout for the role players. Short of that there's simply no reason to care.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

mildly interesting?
    morey, ainge and rockets and celtics would fight toot and nail for that pick!