1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Third Democratic Debate SEP2019 @ TSU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I hope you and everyone this positive about Biden vs Trump is right.

I don’t have that level of confidence. I see too many vulnerabilities with Biden, starting with he is the “establishment”.

The swing Midwest voters have in every election starting with Obama chosen someone new and risky to change direction. Why would that stop in 2020? I have doubt it will, even against trump.

If the Dem do go with the safe bet, I wish there were more choices to select from. I wish there was an “establishment” alternative to Biden with less flaws.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think the Dems run the risk of turning their greatest political strength into a liability by the simple fact of talking too much about nit picking each other’s preferred plan, and instead have a unified position that is a POLITICAL OBJECTIVE.

My preferred objective would be to run on “Secure and Expand”.

Meaning we as Democrats should all have a unified statement that we believe in securing the current legislation and healthcare rights we have now, and have a SERIES of step by step priorities to increase coverage through legislation that can pass in Congress in first 100 days of the presidents term. A 100 day solution. That same party and top candidate can still in the same response say they personally believe in M4A as an aspiration, but my Secure and Expand 100 day plan is what I believe is necessary at this time.

And get the phrase “Secure and Expand” repeated a few hundred times a day on social, and MSM media.

Having this nit picking argument at every single debate is just going to lower the approval of Democrats to low information voters. Republicans didn’t do this in their debates. They generically ran on “Repeal and Replace”. Nobody had a replacement plan, nor did they want to nit pick each other’s plans they did have. They wanted to resonate to voters a unified objective they have... and guess what??... The Republicans won in 2016.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I kind of disagree with myself right after I send that. Tweaks can dramatically improve a flawed program as long as it’s not fundamentally broken. This thing is extremely complicated... and the public isn’t going to likely understand much of it. Simple mkt message will take over.

I bet trump team will come up with an alternative that might even leapfrog the Biden version. Don’t forget that he hinted at m4A in 2016. And m4A today is polling at 70% overall and over 50% among republican. So imagine if that actually happen.... Obamacare is fundamentally broken, no tweak will work. We will finish our job of completely removing Obamacare and replace it with a real working health plan - something like m4A. But for real American and the employer can still offer their plan if they want. It will be great. You get a real choice without Obamacare in the way. They could decide to give up on some moderate, win over more progressive in a calculated exchange, while maintaining his base which he will never lose.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nook likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Me too. :D

To be fair, that's all of 3 elections, one of which involved re-electing the incumbent instead of changing direction. And Obama won those states handily, while Trump won them by less than 1%. I think anti-Hillary played more of a role than anything else there - if Obama was running for a 3rd term, he carries those states easily again, IMO.

Klobuchar seemed like that person, but she has never seemed to gain any real traction, unfortunately. That said, I think Biden has more appeal to the Obama-Trump voters, is most likely to turn them to Obama-Trump-Biden voters.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hillary is still in the wings, don’t count her out.

Silent_Bob likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Funny how much conservatives want this to be true.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Andre0087, Hakeemtheking and mick fry like this.
  10. mick fry

mick fry Member

I don’t know why you think that, I can’t stand her but actually think she has the best chance to beat Trump if Biden can’t cut it.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And you want Trump to be beaten?

fchowd0311 and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

If people are looking for dark horse democratic candidates to emerge late and win the nomination.....

Sherrod Brown would be the most obvious.

He could potentially carry Ohio, and would do very well in places like Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

He is old enough but not senile like Trump or Biden.

Chris Coons is not someone that is terribly charismatic but he is a very good man with a very solid record. He is smart and would be able to walk the line between the far left of the party and the moderates in the Midwest and possibly even Florida.

A real long shot would be Tammy Duckworth from Illinois. She is not someone that Trump would be easily able to criticize. She is a very tough woman and politician and would appeal to moderates.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

This debate still has 10 people??? :eek:

edit: It's ****ing 12...lol.