1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thinking back on that trade with Toronto involving Olajuwon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emoreland, Aug 7, 2000.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I was thinking about this just today; how Toronto reportedly offered Doug Christie, Kevin Willis, the #5 and #12 picks in the draft. Man I love Dream with all my heart and soul, my favorite all-time player. I bleed Rocket red throughout, but dang think of what we could have ended up with. With the number 5 pick, we would have had a chance at Johnathon Bender, and a decent player at #12, though I cant remember wh got picked there. Plus we get Christie and Kevin Willis. All that, and we get rid of Dremas big salary. As much as I hate to say it, I think I would have done that deal, as hard as it would be for me to do.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Of course, if we had made this trade we wouldn't have Steve Francis. Considering this, would you still like to go back and make it?

------------------

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Shows how much u love the Rockets. They dont bleed red anymore, but rather blue and white.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Insulting fellow posters without my permission is not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Annoying Mango can be really FUN!
    5. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Eat MANGOES & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

At first, that looked like a really awesome trade, but I don't think its really worth it.

Its basically trash for trash. I'm sorry to call Dream that, but thats what his game has consisted of over the past two years. At least we get to dump dream's salary after next season.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not only would we not have Francis, but Shandon Anderson would not have come to this team either with Doug Christie there. Then you would have Christie, Mobley, and depending on if they did the Francis trade, possibly Dickerson. No way Shandon would have come. Plus I don't think if you're Rudy or CD that you can respect yourself if you trade Hakeem after all he's done. And you think it'll be a struggle passing the arena now? Imagine if we didn't have Dream...

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Vote in the 64 player 1 on 1 NBA Tournament! (Third Round)
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000971.html

6. chinese

chinese Member

SirCharlesFan:
    Stop using your bad words to Dream.

Keeley,why don't you delete this thread?

------------------

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

If we had made that deal we could have had a lineup of

C: Kelvin Cato/ Kevin Willis
    PF: Jonathan Bender(#5 pick)/ Kenny Thomas
    SF: Cory Maggette(#12 pick)/ Walt Williams
    SG: Shandon Anderson/ Cuttino Mobley
    PG: Steve Francis/ Doug Christie/ Moochie Norris

Damn! that would have been an awesome team. You have 3 potential superstars in Francis, Bender, and Maggette. 2 excellent role players in Cato and Anderson and one of the best benches in the league.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

8. steviewonder

steviewonder Member

You got a great point The Cat. I don't want the Rockets to trade the Dream, but I think that he should retire, because he knows he is too old to play good anymore. I think that this year at his old age the Rockets will have to play a slower paced game which they are not used to. I remember a couple of years ago with Barkley, Dream, and Drexler we were one of the oldest, if not the oldest team in the league. But now tides have changed and it's time for him to retire. If we had made the trade we wouldn't have Francis. The Rockets would probably not be a very good team. They look like they are gonna have a good season behind Francis.

------------------
    Peace,
    Dave
    Rockets Online.com
    Write an Article For Rockets Online

[This message has been edited by steviewonder (edited August 07, 2000).]

9. Colby

Colby Member

Can't trade the Dream. Period. Not then, not now, not in '91. Sometimes you have to be a gentlemen and stand by the people who stood by you.

Even Colby has rules.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

10. The Cat

New Jack,

You can dreamcast all you want, but the facts remain it is VERY doubtful we have Francis or Shandon, and practically impossible in Anderson's case. Plus you have to remember a word called loyalty.

------------------

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I am glad Hakeem will be retiring as a Houston Rocket. I think we ALL need to plan on attending his last game and showing our love for The Dream.

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

I can uderstand why we might not be able to get Shandon Anderson if we made that deal but why wouldn't we be able to get Steve Francis?

We would still have Othella Harrington and Michael Dickerson to trade to the Grizzlies for Francis.

Also, if Doug Christie were the reason why Shandon wouldn't sign with the rockets then all the rockets would have had to have done was trade Christie.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

[This message has been edited by New Jack (edited August 07, 2000).]

13. The Cat

We got Francis as our young star to build around for the future. Bear in mind at the time we got Francis we were still trying to remain competitive for next season, and not trying to radically change our team from old to young all at once. I just think that the Rockets may not have found it necessary to make another trade for another rookie, because then we would have been building our team's success for the upcoming season around 3 rookies who have never played an NBA game. I think if they had done that trade, they would have had their "future superstar" to build around in Bender and kept Dickerson and Harrington around for depth, experience, and talent. Because if you make the Hakeem trade, you know Barkley wouldn't have come back. Bender wasn't ready to play last year. Kenny Thomas was an unknown rookie who didn't really come on until the end of the first month of the season. Who would have been our PF that year, considering we did not know that KT could work out? KT? No one, including Rudy, could have thought of him as a starting PF in August. Bender? Not even close to ready. Tmass (if you make the trade)? Decent reserve, but not a starting PF by any means. Keeping Othella would have been almost a necessity if you make that Hakeem trade, so therefore you probably wouldn't have Francis.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 07, 2000).]

14. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i had a bigger...i'd be a p*rn star..wait nevermind.. [​IMG]

------------------
    i am rather like a mosquito in a nudist camp..i know what i ought to do but i don't know where to begin...

15. Bruno

Bruno Member

Not only for the Rockets sake but for the Houston sports scene, we should have never even thought about trading Dream. In general, I think Houston has a lot of fair weather sports fans (except the guys here) and one of the main reasons is that we have no sports tradition. For example, name one icon of Houston sports. Nolan Ryan? Hell no, he had his best years with the Mets and Angels. Earl Campbell, maybe but we traded him away to the Saints.

Now let's talk other cities. Boston-Havlicek, Orr, Bird, Williams. Los Angeles-Koufax, Magic.

In summary, I think Hakeem is the only hope for a Houston sports icon. He played at U of H and will start and finish his career with the Rockets. Furthermore, I think Biggio also has that ability.

------------------

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If we had traded Mr. Olajuwon after he brought us our only two titles we would have been basketball pariahs. And deservedly so.

As soon as any free agent started to look at Houston there would be a little voice reminding him - "Look how they treated Olajuwon, he deserved much better".

No, Olajuwon shouldn't have been traded. The correct decision was made.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited August 07, 2000).]

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

All of those sports icons are from an era long gone. The money is too big these days.
    We will never see that again as the typical career. I appreciate everything Hakeem has done for Houston; his greatest contribution last year would have been to go to Toronto in exchange for a dumptruck load of talent.

We could still have gotten Frances and probably Shandon, too, although he wouldn't have been so absolutely necessary.

The team should always come first. If these guys want so much money, they have to face up to the reality of the economics in which we cannot afford to love and support them anymore.

Houston is where Hakeem always wanted to be; I don't get this stuff about him standing by us. The franchise helped empower him to become a championship player-- of which he was the most significant part.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

18. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Man, you look at Olajuwon in that ESPN rerun of '94 Game 7, with his anger and aggression, and you wonder where the fire went. Not the knees -- the fire.

I say the wife got it.

19. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

Even if an Hakeem trade had been so one-sided that it made us an instant contender again (which the proposed trade would not have done IMO) - wouldn't you feel a bit dirty cheering for a team that had to dump Dream to do it?

I would much rather watch us struggle a little while, watch Dream retire proudly as a Rocket, and then someday not so far away watch Francis and Mobley celebrating a championship on the court with Dream celebrating in his box seat (or throne or whatever we build for him in the new arena). [​IMG]

Call me an optimist. Call me a Houston sports fan.

-Drof

------------------

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a real problem with anyone calling Dream's game "trash." Do you watch Hakeem play? Even in his less glamorous moments, he is 10x more graceful than Shaq (now there is a guy who's game is trash, though effective). We deserve to give Dream what little he asks at this point, which is to play one more season, and then to retire in Houston. The man who brought us our only two championships deserves whatever he wants.

------------------
    "Nothing is certain but the unforseen."
    Some Dude