1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They're not going to fire BO'B

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No huddle is just as much about the personnel as it is about the coaching (probably more so). Look at New England... where the no-huddle was a permanent staple of their offense over the last decade. But as soon as Gronk leaves, and their overall talent at receiver goes down, they no longer did it.... mainly because half those guys have no clue what route they have to run in that situation.

BOB in year 1-3 would have more disturbing gaffes... couldn't get the play to the QB on time, wrong personnel on the field, misscommunications at the line, pre-snap penalties galore (especially of the procedure kind). That did get better... but the 4th and 4 situation yesterday was unforgivable.

gucci888, gfab-babyboi and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Remember when DW had 19 touchdowns in 6 games? Really 5.5 games? Too many interceptions, granted, but that was the most creative their offense was with Watson. When he was thrown in not expecting to be the starter and it seems like they went with more of the college style playcalls to keep familiarity for DW.

Granted... 8 interceptions as well, AND Deshaun got hurt, so not like it was perfect, but we all know there's absolutely no creativity coming from the offensive genius that is BillyO.

Basically, his whole philosophy is play not to lose. With the talent they have, it gets them where they are.

red5rocket, gfab-babyboi and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. conquistador#11

Moses didn't get to enter the promise land. Moses was a leader, dependable and a good teammate. But
    Moses done F'd up. You know what god did? God fired him.

Sometimes you need a new face to take you where you want to go.
    Don Chaney replaced by Rudy T.
    Pete Carroll replaced by Bellicheat
    Del Harris coaching prime Diesel and Kobe replaced by Rambis then Phil Jackson

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. blackistan

blackistan Member

This is obvious...but he is getting an extension

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

The point isn't to immediately turn it around - we're not going to be contenders immediately.

The point is that this team needs a change of scenery, and we have nowhere to go but up. We're going to be stuck in mediocrity if we keep BoB...O'Brien just isn't the guy.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If I had one question for Cal McNair, it would be this: How are you ever expecting for BOB to improve and get us back to the position we were in yesterday? Up by 24 on the road in a game where, if you win, you are HOSTING the AFC Championship?? The man had this gift HANDED to him, and he still figured out a way to **** it up. Romeo Crennel deserves a lot of the blame, but he's dealing with half a deck because GM BOB ****ed him over and stripped him of his pass rush.

Ultimately, I'm just sick of this complacent, vanilla, milquetoast ownership. The players deserve better. The fans deserve better.

Nook, gatsby, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Change is coming

9. SemisolidSnake

I dunno, maybe stop hiring staff from the Patriots. How well's that been working out for us? Oh, wait, our expected new GM is coming from the Patriots.

My tinfoil-hat theory is that nobody leaves the Patriots unless Belichick knows that they're not good enough for his team and will actually make other teams worse. And he's well aware that other teams will snap them up like candy because they came from the Patriots, so he carefully releases them into the wild in such a way that only he knows what's coming.

We need a purge.

Mr. Clutch and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. JayZ750

I disagree with this. The talent on this team can make them instant contenders. Heck, they WERE up 24-0 yesterday.

Look at the Packers. Since BillyO was hired as Texans coach, McCarthy went to 2 conference finals (texans obviously zero) and once the divisional round. Sure, they then had "down" years missing the playoffs, so McCarthy was let go, and now they're back in the conference finals.

The really disappointing part of this coaching staff is that they probably actually do have the talent to compete RIGHT NOW. Heck, next year. It's not top talent in every aspect of the game, but it's enough offensive talent to score 27+ppg with a good/creative playcaller, and enough defensive talent that competent coaching should be able to at least come up with schemes to prevent 51 points in a playoff game.

As noted in another thread, instead they just schemed man defense, which Reid KNEW they would scheme, so the game-planned for that, and there you go.

OBVIOUSLY, they need to try and get more defensive talent, but even SB teams have offseason needs.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Perhaps but it's because that when you are talking about Professional Football in Houston NOTHING EVER CHANGES! This is no kneejerk reaction on my part but rather the result of DECADES of watching football futility in the city of Houston. I was born and raised in Houston. I went to my very first Oilers game at Jeppesen Stadium and later to their games at Rice Stadium (where they played before Bottom-Line Buttass moved to the Astrodome). The point is that I've been watching nothing but football futility in my hometown for over 60 years and that can make one somewhat cranky AND very cynical. Sorry.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

They may not even fire GM BOB.

gatsby and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He hasn’t met with Cal yet and like I said before ball is in Cals court

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Do you know something?.... SPILL, MAN....

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I wish I did

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yeah, BoB is here to stay...A poor man's Jason Garrett, he'll never get let go until his contract is up in 2022...

Suffer like Dallas and be stuck in mediocrity....

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cal would have no one to lean on if he fires O'Brien.

Easterby? ROFL. Crennel is about ready to retir and Kelly is a graduate assistant. And no GM of course

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BoB is a bad head coach and GM but him being here is a sympton of McNair's incompetence as an owner.

Texans are never going to win anything until Cal sells the team.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Any change we can think of outside of defense would put BOB in a lame duck situation. Going from Frank Bush to Wade Philips is a change where the power was clear. I don't see BOB allowing an outside OC to install their own offense, when up to this point BOB's only had his own (fall)guys at OC.

And there's still bound to be something in the circus-like Caserio chase that will either mess with crucial draft/FA timelines, or create more pause about the hire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. JayZ750

Billy just said in his press conference today that he hadn't spoken to Cal yet.

So if there' s a glimmer of hope, it rests with Cal manning up and firing his buddy.

Rudyc281 likes this.