1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[thestar]Elvin Hayes, Scottie Pippen, and VERNON Maxwell on the same team!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 21, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clutchfans in maylasia need to go to this

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/5/22/sports/11336130&sec=sports

Dragons players to take on ex-NBA legends
    By KNG ZHENG GUAN

KUALA LUMPUR: For many aspiring basketball players, the chance to meet top NBA players will just be a dream.

But for the Westports Malaysia Dragons’ players, that dream is about to become a reality.

Dragons cagers will have the opportunity to brush shoulders with several retired NBA legends in a friendly match come July 16 at the Stadium Malawati.

They may have retired but the likes of Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Horace Grant and Jason Williams are still bound to dazzle the crowd with their skills as the US Professional Basketball Alumni (PBAA) have made Malaysia the first stop of their Asian Tour.

Besides the quartet, the PBAA’s All Star team will also comprise the likes Mitch Richmond, Jeff Trepaigner, J.R. Reid, Charoy Bentley, Flex Foyle and Vernon Maxwell and will be coached by Hall of Famer Elvin Hayes.

For Dragons youngster Loh Shee Fai, the opportunity to play against some of NBA’s legends besides meeting them was simply a dream come true.

“I’ve mostly only seen them on television and now I get to play against them. It’s really an unbelievable opportunity and I’m really excited,” said the 22-year-old Shee Fai.

And 30-year-old John Ng echoed his team-mate’s views and is similarly eagerly anticipating the chance to brush shoulders with his idols.

“I’m a great fan of both Pippen and Rodman but I’ve yet to meet an NBA player. They may be retired but they’re still my idols and it is a dream come true for me to play against them,” said John.

Even Dragons head coach Ariel Vanguardia seems to believe that the opportunity to play against the NBA former greats will certainly help his team improve in their own game and will serve to inspire others to pick up basketball.

“This is a great opportunity to expose basketball to this country and our players will certainly benefit from the experience of playing against the PBAA players,” said Vanguardia.

“Besides we want to see the development of the game and this friendly will enlighten the younger generations about basketball and encourage them to play the game.”

The All Star team will also head to Manila (July 18) and Kaohsiung (July 21) for friendly exhibition matches.

“PBAA is providing fans an opportunity to see world renowned basketball alumni up close,” said PBAA chief executive officer Charles D. Smith.

“The match in July is just a start and we’re looking forward to having more events in the future.”

Meanwhile, tickets for the match between the All Stars and the Dragons will only be available tomorrow at AirAsia Redtix.com and is priced between RM40 to RM225.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

In their respective primes, that team's starting lineup would be NASTY defensively.

Elvin Hayes - PF
    Scottie Pippen - SF
    Vernon Maxwell - SG

"Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Horace Grant and Jason Williams are still bound to dazzle the crowd with their skills as the US Professional Basketball Alumni (PBAA) have made Malaysia the first stop of their Asian Tour.

Besides the quartet, the PBAA’s All Star team will also comprise the likes Mitch Richmond, Jeff Trepaigner, J.R. Reid, Charoy Bentley, Flex Foyle and Vernon Maxwell and will be coached by Hall of Famer Elvin Hayes."

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Check it out, Bull's dynasty players. Kinda sad these dudes got paid so much and now need the money.
    So would this be the starting lineup? They should be able to whip the Malaysians.

PG Maxwell or Williams
    SG Richmond
    SF Pippen
    PF Rodman
    C Grant

Maxwell and Rodman on the same team. Wow!

#3 tinman, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think it is all about the benjamins .... they realize they are still welcomed by fans all over the world.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Day walker I'm thinking you are more of like the dark shadows vampire who woke up in the wrong era instead of the one in blade.

Go google pippen or rodman with the word broke.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

many of the posts is not about you and me. but I love your generalizations.

Pippen is broke, so do I have to google all of them :rolleyes:

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Rodman is broke too.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

First off, its spelled as Malaysia.

2nd, I'm the first to say that Dragons will get whip so bad, by the 2nd half, some of the all stars will play for the Dragons.

And I will be there to watch it all. :D

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Since when does Vernon Maxwell actually get involved in events like this, first time I've heard about it. Sad indeed that most players only play because they need money, no way they do it for love of the game.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hope they have paramedics standing by...

11. tinman

Supporting Member

my bad for the typo.

That's sweet dude! you should take pictures and post them up here.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#33 stole $9m from Houston.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

that would be sweet if Maxwell beats up Pippen in front of all of Malaysia

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Jesus, two quitters on the same team? I hope they have players they can count on.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Any news on if all players were there, any photos / footage?

16. engr chris

engr chris Member

Watched the game in the Philippines. No Mad Max. Disapponting :(

17. vernonmaxwell86

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually a lot of players pre-2000 were severely under paid and did not make nearly as much as guys today.

The most MJ was getting before his last two seasons was about $4M a year! (last two seasons, 30M each) You cant even sign a defensive only center for that much. Still more than us regular folks though

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Was Elvin Hayes there?