1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TheRinger] The Rockets style is both good and bad in the Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 18, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-coaches-analysts-explain-playoff-cliches-ec1074245a89

The article is much longer than that but nothing is Rockets specific other than this section. Thought it was an interesting counter argument to the notion that the Rockets playing style doesn't work in the Playoffs. While relying on free throws to score can be problematic, the Rockets are able to beat you by being a strong half court offense and having a high eFG% thanks to our threes and layups approach. Also one of our weaknesses (rebounding) is mitigated in the postseason by being more prepared.

Overall, the Rockets play style, at least offensively, is built to win in the Playoffs. As long as we consistently defend we are a tough out.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Had no idea we were the #1 half court team in the league. Isn't it historically the case we say halfcourt offenses do well in the playoffs?

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I didnt know that either! Thats welcome news.

Halfcourt offenses do great in the playoffs. Fast breaks dont happen nearly as much

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This really isn't talked up enough. The McHale teams offense "needed" fast break points to be successful. I always lamented that and felt fast break points should only be a "value add" to a team. You can't always count on it. So this MDA squad having a great half court offense is quite nice.

5. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Great read! Harden is our last option when all adjustments have been made, which gives us a good shot all the way to the end.

If we continue playing outside/inside, we can keep the tempo and end this series in OKC. I want to see more Nene at the top of the key in some high-post sets, but that would have to been with some high-flyers like Williams and Dekker (just bad timing). Ariza doesn't have the jets to cut and score like he used to. Gordon could, but and maybe that's going to be helpful against Kanter.

That dude's soul got absorbed into Harden's beard in game 1!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All that methodical strolling up the court Harden does that some of us lament is perfect for the playoffs.

I was wondering why Westbrook didn't look like the same ferocious person in game 1. Playoff basketball is a different monster. a different game.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Mainly because vets play harder.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Rocket's main guys all have extensive Playoff experience; Gordon has the least of the rotational players. OKC guys might have been shocked by the intensity.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't want to start a new thread on this because I'm to lazy to look up the numbers at the moment.

But I actually think our defense is in fact underrated and by a lot.

I'm curious to find out what our defensive rating is when the rockets have out rebounded their opponent?

I do know for almost a two month stretch we we ranked as high as number 4 and as low as number 8 in defensive rating during December and most of January.

I think playoff basketball were it is more halfcourt tends to favor the rockets defense. Houston has a top 5 rating after made baskets and we have the number scoring half court offense. (really shows how great harden is)

So I ask is houston not only underrated on that end of the court but are they in fact possibly the 4th best defensive team in the playoffs with the Warriors Spurs and jazz being the three best?

I think they atleast have to be in the discussion.

Cash Cam likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rockets style is great as long as it is a W

Rockets style sucks if it's an L

YaoMing#1, napalm06, jbasket and 2 others like this.
  11. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

This is an interesting dichotomy for sure. I did notice that OKC's (failed) strategy was to stick to our shooters no matter what. Harden obviously did what he did, but this tactic interests me with a team like the Spurs. Can they put Danny Green on Harden and have Kawhi guarding the man who sets the screen so switches on to him? This was brought up to me by a Spurs fan, and it would put a serious wrench in our HC offense

12. tmacfor35

I have seen them run PNR with Anderson, Gordon, Capela, etc.

The Spurs generally trap instead of switch as it is.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Well we are #4 in fast break points, so we have that going for us too!

YaoMing#1, Deuce and DonKnock like this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This had been mentioned on one of the broadcasts a few weeks back, but I wasn't sure if it was still the case.

We get most of our points out of the PnR so it is not really that inconceivable.

Might have to dig up my "James Harden Plays Slow Myth" thread for this occasion:D

#14 DonKnock, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There was even a Lou Will-Harden PnP last game:eek:

ilovehtownbb and Fyreball like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We set picks with pretty much every person on the court. Even Lou Williams will come set a high screen. If the Spurs switch everything, we would set screens until we get the switch we want (Harden on Aldridge, Lee, Gasol, etc). The Spurs TRAP though, which allows them to use their length to mitigate passing angles, and jump passing lanes. Very few teams can switch on everything against the Rockets and get away with it. In fact, the Warriors might be the only ones.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Didn't realize we were 10th in offensive rebounding rate.

Figured we were low in all rebounding.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem with these stats is that we still have to face basically the best team every constructed in Golden State. They are truly outliers by all measure and greatly diminish the chances of any potential opponent. No team has ever had 3 elite offensive players, 3 elite defensive players, and the ability to switch anything at 4 positions.

19. tmacfor35

We certainly have a shot if Durant is injured and not playing up to par.
    Would obviously have to get by OKC and SAS in which we would be the underdog in that series.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Those are depressing facts.

I love my Rockets and I am thrilled that they are one of the best teams in the NBA this year.

Still, I do not believe that there is a team out there that can beat them in a 7-game series. Not the Spurs, Cavs or the Rockets. I think the "other" stars of the NBA have to realize how great is this current Warriors team and that to have a chance to beat them, they have to formed their own all star team.