1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There Was An Offer from Detroit for TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Yak

Yak Member

I can't believe how many people wanted to pull the trigger on this trade.

Tmac gets scrutinized so much for not performing well in the regular season, but Sheed hardly ever gives a good deal of effort during the regular season.

Sheed is on a extremely steep slope and is getting worse ever year by a highly noticeable degree.

And I am not impressed with Rip. His stats will begin to decline with Billups out of Detroit.

This was clearly another knee-jerk thread.

After the Suns game, how many of you want to do this trade now?

2. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

After I hear this news, I'm ready to kill myself. No matter how much older Rip and Sheed are, its better than our injury-prone McGrady. Rip can still score and moves well without the ball. Sheed provides us with some veteran leadership and good defense. We're stuck with T-Mac for a few more years... what knows what could happen at anytime.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

TMac has ONE good game. He might play well for awhile, he might not. He might slip on a fleck of dirt and throw out his back/knee/trick elbow for 20 games.

Sheed is still averaging 9 boards and 2 blocks. And we have NO other shot blocking on this team right now (Battier averaged one per game last year, I think).

Rip is still Rip.

I think part of the thing is, you lose in some departments (assists), you gain in others...and the gain exceeds the loss.

It would be a very difficult trade for Morey, though. TMac has been the heart of the franchise (which has been good and bad).

And yet, Morey's recent comments on sports 610 seemed rather on the lower end of neutral regarding how the offense has been for the past four or five seasons. It doesn't mean any imminent trade, but "the past 4 or 5 seasons" equals Tracy and Yao, and Yao is absolutely untouchable.

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Yeah. The Detroit fans I know pretty much can't stand Sheed and have been wanting him gone for awhile.

5. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I was already having a crappy day. You just made me sick. I can't believe Morey would turn it down. Either it is not true or Les wouldn't give his ok. No matter what we think of T-Mac he is one of the most popular players in the NBA (especially overseas).

6. rterry

It's just as much knee-jerk to think all our issues are solved after McGrady has a good game as it is to want to trade him after a bad one. The bottom line is that T-Mac is damaged goods, takes too many bad shots, and has never go out of the 1st round. None of that applies to any of the Pistons in this thread. Oh well, I don't think it was true anyway.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The OP did not say that the Pistons extended this offer to the Rockets, and we refused. It was something they were considering. I'm sure there are all sorts of trade ideas that teams consider internally while never reaching the stage an actual offer.

8. rterry

Thanks! I feel better now. I can go back to thinking Morey is a god.

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Definitely would have done this, huge fan of Rip's game but I doubt this is true.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

will sheed or rip do anything in the playoffs? tracy has proven to elevate his level of play in the playoffs.

you can say what you want to see about his effort/inconsistency in the reg. season, but the dude wakes up in the playoffs.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

...i don't know if i would have compared playoff performances of sheed/rip to tmac if i was making a case against this trade. ;)

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I have to agree...I love T-mac but man, there was definitely some value to be had...

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm saying individual playoff performances. sheed has basically been a non-factor in most playoff games and they won last yr. does that mean he was a better playoff performer than tracy?

all i'm saying is those guys don't play better in the playoffs. tmac does.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

IMO he's been downgraded to demi-god .... angel ..... djinn .... saint?

Show me some more miracles Morey!!!

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As much as I am turning against T-Mac for his lack of mental toughness and his choking, I would still prefer him over Rip + Rasheed (and losing Chuck).

All you need to do is look at his playoff performance the past two years to see how he has elevated his game when it has mattered. He was in the top 5 in playoff PER last year, after barely being in the top 50 in the regular season.

I would also disagree with the assessment that Rip is better for Adelman's offense than T-Mac. Yes, Rip can cut better than T-Mac, but T-Mac is still probably the best "facilitator" in the game at the wing position. No one can pass better or have better court vision at the top of the key, and so far he has improved his decision-making this year by not jacking that 20-22ft jumper early in the shot clock. He HAS sucked so far this year from being injured and staying out of the flow of the offense or holding onto the ball too long when he does have it, but I think that will pass when he gets his leg muscles back up to speed.

If you are looking for someone who is ill-suited for Adelman's offense, that would have to be Yao. He is an anchor down in the paint and needs 4 shooters around him for his ideal offense; but the problem even in that scenario is that he is a piss-poor passer. He can read the double-team well enough, but by the time the shooter catches the lob-pass his man has already rotated back onto him. I think Adelman will realize this after going back over that Phoenix game and watching how we made our run when he sat down, Hayes and Brooks came in, and the floor just opened up completely for guys like Rafer, Brooks, T-Mac, and Artest to penetrate inside and start the ball movement or finish if their defender was off.

As far as Detroit is concerned, watch how bad they become with Rip, Rasheed, Prince, and AI. The heart of that team was Billups, and I would have done Billups + Rip for T-Mac in a heartbeat, but not Rip + Rasheed.

16. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

T-Mac is actually 6th ALL TIME in playoff PER.

17. Just2MuchHype

Just2MuchHype Member

without billups, the pistons look confused. Billups was the playmaker for the pistons. Tmac is the playmaker for the Rockets. Trust me without him, we would suffer because the defense won't have to worry about double teams anymore. I don't think Rip can cause the same attention as Tmac does. Rip usually finds his shot off the pass on a set shot. Tmac can find his own shot, he is one of the best at it. Rasheed has been on the decline. Even Joe Dumars isn't fond of him anymore. At the end of this season, watch for the Pistons to get rid of Wallace and Iverson.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The fact that someone who's never won a playoff series can be ranked so high proves PER is a complete and total joke.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm not surprised so many here would have done that trade, but it's a good thing it didn't go through.

Look. T-Mac is a shell of his former self and may only give you 30 good games during the regular season. And Hamilton/Wallace definitely would make this offense flow more smoothly and upgrade our talent overall. But you're not going to win an NBA championship with a very undependable Yao Ming and running Rip Hamilton through screens as your top offensive options. You have to have players with the individual ability to take over the game. Yes, there's a strong chance T-Mac is so broken down that he may not ever be able to do that again, but I would rather take my chances with him, because at least it gives you that chance, as small as it may prove to be. With this trade, you have absolutely no player on the team with that individual ability, and you thus have no chance to win. Even 5% is better than 0%.

And someone might point to Detroit winning the title as a counterexample to my argument, but I would argue that not only was that title an anomaly historically speaking, but that team also had more overall talent than we do ie: a much younger Rasheed etc.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

not to mention they were playing some GREAT defense, Big Ben was single covering Shaq.

...and i agree with pretty much everything you said. For the regular season and fantasy bball (stat watchers), consistently good is far better than occasionally great. If you want to win a championship, at some point, you have to be great. If this trade ever came up. I'm sure that was one of the main things the Rockets were thinking about.