1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There are many ballers not in the NBA who are better players than guys in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Apr 11, 2018.

1. basketballholic

I've been waiting for the opportunity to demonstrate this to you. Many of you falsely think that the NBA is the 450 best ballers on the planet and that if a guy isn't in the NBA he's simply not as good a player as a player in the NBA.

The truth is that the NBA has somewhere around 200-300 of the best ballers on the planet and 150-250 of the players in the NBA could easily be replaced by players just as good or even better that are not in the Association and may never get the opportunity to be in the Association.

The proof was there in front of us last night. Andre Ingram, a 32-year-old rookie, who has never played an NBA game, came in from the gleague and in one game proved he has NBA level skills. Ingram, is a better player than several players on the Lakers roster and is as good a player (currently) as at least a hundred or so players with guaranteed contracts in the Association.

So the next time you decide to throw out the old "if he's better than (one of your favorites) then why isn't he in the NBA?" when some of us are telling you about players not in the NBA that are actually better players than players in the NBA.......think again.....and develop better reasons to convince us that guys like Terrence Jones should be making $80 million when we knew they shouldn't even be in the Association.

tmoney1101, hakeem94 and boomboom like this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Five star thread. Would Like again.

Ingram is a baller. I know tonight probably won't be like last night...but I bet some teams might give him a longer look for next season. He definitely earned the look. At this point, I'd take him at the end of the Rockets' bench.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Clearly this Ingram guy is going to average 19 points a game in the NBA.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

BBH: I saw [this]
    Everyone else: Yule C

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It would be shocking if it wasn't the case that many NBA players at the bottom end of the league are replaceable with the players who are not in the league for a variety of reasons. Anyone who says "he'd be in the NBA already if he was any good" really isn't making any sense. That said, expecting a guy who isn't in the league to be an impact player, if just given a chance, is a stretch.

saleem and da_juice like this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I am one of those 150-250.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

5/5 thread.

I like the T_ones name drop at the end.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nicely disguised Jared Uthoff or joshua Harrelson thread

Well done

apollo33 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

......I.D.I.O.T.

#10 daywalker02, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Os Trigonum and arabrocket like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Small. Sample. Size.

But he is worth 42 large?

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Most of the players who get drafted are out of the league at the end of their first contract. Those players are on rosters for their upside moreso than their skill. One could argue that there are players in the G League who have no upside but are better players. Obviously there are Euro players who can play in the NBA, if they wanted.

iconoclastic, Easy and da_juice like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

like @juanm34 breh, i too am one of those 150-250

juanm34 likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The Ingram fella believes he’s the MVP

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc 1 fluke game proves everything. no. once again you are wrong

Nick_713 and CallMeTheDream like this.
  16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Exactly; a 32 year old G Leaguer or Euro player may be better than a current NBAer; but few teams are going to sign them because of their age or lack of upside, lack of positional for etc. But let's not pretend that it's not that way everywhere. Job turnover would be tremendous if everyone who COULD do something better always replaced the person doing it. Success comes when skill meets opportunity

kiwirocketsfan likes this.
  17. basketballholic

True. At any given time there are 50-75 guys on rookie deals taking roster spots that will NEVER fulfill two ounces of their potential and don't belong in the league. But they've got a guaranteed contract and to cut them means dead money on the books. So teams run out the string, and try to trade them at the end of their deals for anything of value.

My point is these conditions make it difficult for guys like Ingram who have put in the work and do belong, to get their shot.

To the nitwit posting that Ingram is going to average 19 points a game.....you've missed the whole point. The point wasn't what guys stats will be. The point is there are many guys that grind away and develop great skill sets, that you could drop into an NBA court, and they can give you an efficient 19, or double digit boards and great defense, or can create and pass, or some other skill combination, and he'll the team WIN GAMES!

Jontro likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I saw Corey Brewer drop 51 pts one time

19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The craziest part of all this is that the g league has been around for 10 years.

20. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think there are 250 but if someone takes into account the busts that are usually given 2-3 years chance, most of the 2nd round picks and the end of the bench players and so on there are many nbaers who are worse than the best players in other leagues for sure. Maybe 100 or so.