1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stthomsfinest, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's a shame. Taker needs someone else to carry a match, and wasting AJ on Shane sucks for us fans.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Has anyone suggested Finn vs AJ? It's one of the matches that NJPW didnt/couldn't give, it's got instant back story and an easy as hell build up besides that. It'll have an inter-brand tension that this Brock-Goldberg once a week response shtick can't reproduce. Last but not least it could be the best match on Mania since HBK-Taker.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd be for that, for sure. IMO AJ is the best in the world, so I just don't want to see him wasted on a match with Shane.

DudeWah likes this.
  4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think an AJ/Shane match would be fantastic. Sits him up as the top heel and he can fued with Orton for the title after WM.

Rumored WM Cruiserweight Title Match

Neville vs Austin Aries. Austin Aries was cleared to return this week after breaking his orbital bone

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AJ is already the top. Beating up a white haired non wrestler (who can't wrestle) won't be the thing that puts him over.

Plus, he'll never be a true heel a la Miz (and, now, Joe). He'll always get mixed reactions.

I mean it would probably still be a decent match just cuz he can make almost anyone look good, but at a WrestleMania? Seems like a waste. I'm OK with less McMahons forcing themselves into the storylines.

vinsensual likes this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think AJ, KO, Balor, Joe, Bray, Zayn, Cesaro, Shinsuke, Corbin, etc all have a window over the next few years too have staying power in top card title matches/title runs. I don't see long term staying power like Cena, Orton, Lesnar, HHH & Rollins who have no urgency to relinquish with them...
    I think there perfectly fine with shorter WWE runs that seems to be what I gather with how much mental and physical health is regarded..Edge and Daniel Bryan would probably still be working full-time schedules if this was 2007.

The talent pipeline that NXT has produced has been able too boost the main roster too consistently good weekly stuff and ppv's.

Bobby Roode, Shinsuke, Asuka, #DIY, The Revival are all ready for title fueds/reigns on the main roster.

Dillinger, Almas, Strong (the Jack Swagger lisp is really what's going to keep him from rising), SaNITY, Itami, Aries, Oney Lorcan, etc add strong competition to the IC/US/Womens/Tag/Cruiserweight divisions.

I'm glad the UK Championship is being defended on NXT TV next week with Bate vs Trent Seven, it's getting MOTY list buzz from social media. Bate at 19 is already on the level of most elite guys entering there "wrestling primes" in there early 30's. It's exciting of how great he could become over the next few years getting time in the performance center with world class trainers and talent..maybe a mega star. Pete Dunne is in the same boat.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mojo Rawley can be a good singles competitor.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Decided to use my free month of WWE network for elimination chamber. Lots of talent in that cage. Expecting good stuff

9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

AJ takes so much punishment in his matches

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Bray Wyatt pins both Cena and AJ to win the WWE Title!!!!!

DudeWah and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I hope they get a good match for AJ at Mania. The rumors better not be true

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

As soon as Cena was out you knew it was gonna be Wyatt.

I think this is why I stopped watching wrestling so long ago. All I wanna see is extremely talented wrestlers put on great matches and hold the titles. Say what you want about Cena, but he puts on amazing matches when he's going up against amazing opponents. I think Styles vs. Orton would've been a good match. Not a dream match by any stretch, but it would've been main event worthy. In the roughly 10 matches I've seen of Bray Wyatt, he's nothing special. I can't see him vs. Orton being much better than tonight's Orton vs. Harper.

If Kevin Owens loses to Goldberg, I'm cancelling my subscription.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Well, you kinda need Wyatt to win to establish a strong heel on SD. Look at Raw, their Heels are stacked and legit. Now SD just needs to build on a credible babyface that's not vomit inducing since Cena is part time.

DudeWah likes this.
  14. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Well, Nakamura will almost definitely be SD bound since Samoa Joe went to Raw. I feel like he can be a top face. I just don't buy Wyatt as the top heel. I think he's just one of those guys that I will never like because of his boring move set.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

I'm with you on that, his work in ring stuff is not the best of the bunch. We'll just see how it goes from here.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You guys gotta be real here.

Smackdown has done an amazing job building up B level talent and reinventing guys everyone thought were stale.

Look at the Miz, Ziggler, and the Usos as an example. They are all so much better now than six month ago.

Smackdown is full of interesting guys and feuds and storylines get pushed really well on the show.

I can completely see Wyatt as a top heel. They had him pin both Cena and AJ to win the title. That is huge. Putting the title on him is a great call. He needs to solidify his faction and they need to dominate for a while. I'd like to see Rowan come back and be booked better as a strong enforcer for Wyatt. Not just the guy who always takes the beat downs and pins. I think overall though this will be a very well done run for Wyatt.

Additionally, Smackdown has the best talkers in the business atm. The Miz, Cena, Ambrose, Bray, AJ, and even Orton. All these guys can put on better promos than anyone on Raw aside from Jericho and maybe Owens.

The tag division on Smackdown somehow blows Raw's teams out of the water. This is crazy to me because (arguably) Raw has the better talent in this department. The Smackdown booking is just so much better.

That tag tournament tonight was awesome. American Alpha are of course amazing. But the aforementioned Usos are actually worthwhile again. Slater and Rhyno are still interesting. Even Breeze and Fandango serve their niche really well. Seems like they're trying to make the Ascension relevant but I don't see it happening. Those two are just **** at everything. I think there's some hope for the Vaudevillains. Those guys are unique and I could see something there eventually. Though I heard one of them has some negative heat behind the scenes.

I think Ambrose is being a little wasted right now. And I'd like to see him in a long term feud with Luke Harper for the IC belt, with Harper eventually taking the belt off Ambrose to put him back in the main event picture later in the year. Harper is a really good wrestling talent and id like to see him achieve some success.

Speaking of Harper, that match between him and Orton was very well done. Orton is another guy who has been stale for a while but reinvented on Smackdown. Terrific storyline and match.

I used to think Baron Corbin was boring as hell and just a useless character. The way he's been booked the last two months has been great and he's actually interesting (aside from his hairline and terrible promo work) as a Raven/Abyss hybrid type character. His persona and presence reminds me of Raven without any of Raven's promo skill at all of course. And his mean streak and finisher remind me of Abyss. Good character progression overall. I also like the whole "lone wolf" thing. I can see him winning a heavyweight title later down the road.

Going forth Cena will miss a lot of this year because of various movies and shows. That said, I have no idea which direction they go with Cena, Miz, Styles, Corbin, and Orton. I'm excited to see it though.

In general anything Smackdown related is usually an excellent product. I'm very satisfied. I'm pretty pleased in general with the state of WWE right now. Things are better than they've been in a while.

#5356 DudeWah, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    713 and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

^ This guy gets it

Bray has been due for a while now. Just hope he stays healthy. And I think his ring work is fine he just never gets much of a chance in a major match to show it off. I don't know how good Bray vs Orton would be but I'd love to see Bray vs AJ in a title match

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I loved how Bray took all negativity about a year ago and was asked if he was tired of jobbing to everybody, he took it like a champ, pretty much said you're lucky to even be in the business, and in the end, it'll all work out. Finally worked out last night, hope he stays the champ and gets his first WM win.

Friend mentioned they way they are booking Baron Corbin is how they should've booked Roman. Look dominate and get so much heat for doing it. Looking forward to a Ambrose/Ambrose IC title match at WM, if they go that route.

I really do hope Elimination Chamber is back every year now, really like the format and if you get the right talent for the match, greatness occurs.

Nick_713 and DudeWah like this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bray, Owens and Samoa Joe... there has been a quiet renaissance of chubby guys in the WWE.

Dave2000 likes this.
  20. SuraGotMadHops

Maybe far fetched, but it could be that the WWE is doing anything it can to prove CM Punk wrong, who always said Vince prefers to push guys with bodybuilder physiques.