1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The word of 'Jealous' in Yao' mouth in Chinese is different from that In English.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bjshot, Jul 30, 2007.

1. bjshot

bjshot Member

The word of 'Jealous' in Yao' mouth in Chinese is different from that In English. It's not a sour feeling of Yao to TMac.

What Yao expressed is That sometimes he want to be in TMac position -- a Heroic position. Who doesn't want to be a hero?

But yao didn't mean to do anything wrong to get to the position. He know his position -- a basement of the team. He can load the team in most time but the guards have to finish the game.

What Yao said is more like this in English,

"I want to have some heroic monments too, just like T-mac's 13 points in 35 seconds. But I know my position. I'll do whatever to get a win."

There is really a big culture difference. I wish that these kind of talk will not create trouble in team chemistry.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The word of 'basement' in bjshot' mouth in Chinese is different from that In English.

Just while we're clearing up misunderstandings ...

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

bjshot, how did you come up with that moniker? Are you the shooter or the shootee?

4. liangqj

liangqj Member

That will not create trouble in team chemistry.
    T-mac will belief the medium?He will belief his brother,Yao.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

which reminds us a masterb8t3r can be both a shooter and a shootee ... :p

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

'Jealous' =

1. the look on John Starks face when Maxwell sealed the NBA finals with a game clinching 3 pointer in game 7 at the summit.

2. when ESPN, loud mouth Stephen A Smith, and ABC look at the Emmy Awards, Rocket's heroes Charles and Kenny possess.

3. people who don't like Vince Young

4. anyone who hates my posts

7. zong

zong Member

The translated paper must be in another thread, this is from a long article in an interview, need whole article to know what is the meaning of the word Jealous here.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's an excellent point.

9. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Foundation?

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

WTF! All these Chinese trying to explain chinese things make me sick. Is this thread about paranoid?

I tell you jealous in chinese means jealous in English and nothing else.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I have the translation:

Jealous = Yi Jianlian

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Then you my friend are going to be sick quite often! You need patience to try and understand that many chinese words when literally translated do not carry the true meaning of the spoken word. It is important that we who speak english understand that and when our friends help us out with the correct meaning of words, we should be happy that they are so considerate to help us. :p

13. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

"Jealous" in Chinese means:

1. Jealous
    or
    2. Admiring, hoping could do the same

14. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

haha... good one :D

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Are you a chinese? otherwise, how can you know the word's meaning in chinese?

I think they are just try to say Yao and Tmac are still good friends. And that is sweet!!!

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Don't waste your time... He is just jealous.

Now, is he jealous in English or Chiness, that's the question.

17. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Don't worry. He double bogeyed every time and still happy.

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

My friend, that's what I am doing. I am telling you "jealous in chinese" is "jealous in English" and want you to understand. I really dont understand where this thread coming from. I, myself, am more than proficient in Chinese ancient literature and Chinese modern literature.

btw, chinese referred to sunburn skin which also symbolizes healthy should be translated as "dark" skin not "black" skin which so many Chinese posters here have mistaken in another thread. "Black" in chinese means "dark" (for example: as in sunburn skin) or "black" as in color. So, if you translated it as black, it will mean color black with referring to skin color.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think 'jealous' is a honor. That means the person gets some achievement. I think Tmac should feel honored if Yao said that.

BTW, I feel funny, why do you guys believe Yao said those words but don't believe Tmac's blog in sina?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

speaking of chinese,
    i found a great place in austin, its actually in lakeway called Pao's Mandarin House. i've been searching for awhile a place that can rival htown's chinese food.