1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Revealed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm surprised this didnt get a bigger thread. I just started. What an incredible game.

Cold Hard, RudyTBag and Yung-T like this.
  2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love this game. Finished the main story and just haven't hit the expansions yet.

3. joesr

joesr Member

If no one mentioned yet the game is on sale xbox live for 25. The edition with the dlc's.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Their next game will be in a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting, really got my hopes up for them to deliver again.
    Witcher III is incredible and set the bar really high for roleplaying games, Skyrim completely pales in comparison, especially story- and cinematic-wise.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's funny it seems FFXV tried to copy it but failed miserably.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I downloaded it the other day, they have been selling the complete edition for $25 for a while now and finally decided to bite.

Still trying to beat blood borne first, jeez this game is grueling and addicting as hell at the same time, I've never loved a game that I hate playing so much lulz.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You mean difficulty-wise?
    Nowadays I set difficulty to Easy in pretty much every game in order to just enjoy the story and atmosphere, don't want to waste time on coming up with the perfect attribute build or strategies to beat certain opponents.
    Also why I stopped playing games like Dark Souls, at one point the bosses are just there to f*** with you and the difficulty is no reasonable at all (see how certain bosses can kill you in 1-2 hits and rape you in a few seconds).

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah difficulty wise, but that's the whole point of the game. It's kind of like a modern arcade game, in that you just have to play it over and over again until you to advance to the next level / map. It's fun but can get tiresome. I don't know about others but for me Bloodborne would be unplayable without the internet, I have had to look up so much to find locations of things, how to beat bosses and the meaning behind the stories. You have to invest quite a bit of time playing through the game / figuring out the story but the amount of depth and quality they have in it is astonishing. Theres a reason it go so many game of the year awards and is one of the highest rated/reviewed games out there.

Sounds like your not really into RPG's, because most RPG's are about playing strategically and building players. I totally understand not being into RPG's, they take a **** load of time and effort and a lot lack in depth stories (or at least cinematic type stories). I was never interested in RPG's until I played fallout 3, absolutely loved fallout it's hands down my favorite game of all time so now I'll take chances of games like Elders scrolls / The Witcher.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure where you got the vibe that I don't like RPGs, couldn't be further from the truth. It has been my main genre since the SNES era and I've pretty much played every SNES rpg that was localized, then continued on the next generations of consoles and also played the important ones on PC (starting with Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate, Gothic, etc).

When you're saying that RPGs are mainly about strategically building your characters and less about in-depth story, you're talking about a niche of the genre and not how I see the origins and true meaning. It is an extreme version of modern Western RPGs like Elder Scrolls, which are more about customizing your experience in a sandbox world. Also, there's quite the gap between strategically developing your character (which I of course do and appreciate) and the sh** developers pulled of in games like Dark Souls, where bosses one-shot you and any tiny mistake is fatal.

When games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls are only comprehensible with research and looking up stuff, they have failed in my opinion and are not what the genre was about originally, mainly immersion and storytelling.

Which leads me back to my original point, dumb down the difficulty of games like Bloodborne/DS and there'd barely be any appeal left to play the game at all, no true narrative or well-executed plot that keeps you invested in the world and its characters.

Didn't quite get whether you would like more story in RPGs. If you do, check out more of the Eastern RPGs, starting from the NES era, especially franchises like Final Fantasy, Tales, Dragon Quest, Ys etc.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's the nature of RPG games at all. It isn't about "beating" the game. It is about "playing a role", dungeons and dragons style. That is the essence of RPG games, which can be done equally effectively on any difficulty. Obviously there is strategy involved, but that is certainly not what what defines a ROLE PLAYING game, IMO.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I bought this forever ago... still haven't played it. lol.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale are perfect examples. Imagination and absorption are the critical elements.

Yung-T and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've just recently purchased the enhanced editions of all of these games for the PC, and I'm replaying them presently. Fantastic writing in those games. All these years later, the games still hold their own. On the occasion when I do get free time, the Baldur's Gate series competes with any other game out there for my attention. Right now it's winning the contest.

Yung-T and RudyTBag like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have it as well. I played the tutorial, and will have to play it again when I finally sit down to play the game. But so far the tutorial is the only bit that I've played.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Well, next time you have a spare 1000 hours you should give it a shot. ;)

It is freaking massive.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I'm just happy to see old school RPG's are making a comeback. I just started playing Torment : Tides of Numenera (successor to Planescape : Torment). Also games like Tyranny, Divinity : Original Sin II, Pillars of Eternity II : Deadfire, and the Bard's Tale IV are either out or around the corner.

I'm probably going to shed a tear when Bard's Tale IV is released because the Bard's Tale series and the Ultimas were among the first RPG's I ever played on the computer. I hope it doesn't suck. :)

Yung-T likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry for the misinterpretation. I'll explain where I got the vibe from.

I thought your description to in your words dumb down the gameplay, in combination with not liking building characters or having to take the time to play strategically while enjoying the story reflected my thought of what a lot of modern game campaigns/story modes are, which are for the most part easily played through, heavily based upon story / tons of cinematic cuts scenes (like uncharted / Halo campaign etc)

My though was most RPG's I played had a lot of grunt work between the story aspects, most stories aren't cinematic or as well put together as a game like uncharted. Also the player building seems to be a essential part of the RPG's that I played as well as strategic gameplay when dealing with enemies. But I'm fairly new to RPG's, only played a handful or so sine 2010 (starting with fallout) and have never played a eastern market focused game.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

How is that? Torment I mean?

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure. I just installed it the other day and just started playing. I haven't really even put 20 minutes into it yet. :D So far, there's a lot of reading in the game, so if you're more about combat than the story, you may get bored, but like I said, I've barely even started playing.

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm not big on reading either. It doesn't seem appropriate for games given their massive budgets. Spend some money and have someone read the lore to me. About the only game I enjoyed reading was Watch dogs because as you peruse the city's locations you learned about all the real life gang activity and got to see the location where it happened. If you've thrown clues into the reading it's ok. But generally, no reading please even if the lore is good.