1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Web Gets More Curious

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Sep 7, 1999.

1. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

I dont think we should give up Drew.

I rather give mobley than drew. Because with Drew gone. We have no backup pg. Mobley is a sg. I rather give mobley.. I wouldnt mind a deal like this

Mobley
    Mclean
    Maloney
    Bullard
    FOR

Christie and Mcgrady

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Wouldnt it be great to rip off BOTH the Canadian teams in ONE summer...The summer of 2000, the summer Rudy saved the Rockets franchise.

If this deal goes down, what will the critics say next? They are too young to win...?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess.

Drew, Maclean, Maloney,T. washington, Mirsad pick, Orlando Francis pick.

Rudy has been talking Drew up a lot. I think he is trying to increase his stock. Mobley has value, but only one year left on his contract.

This is if the Raptors actually want drew and see problems resigning McGrady.

4. thacabbage

Pippen33, it doesnt matter who WE dont want to give up man. You cant just take on a potential superstar and a very good role player for a bunch of scrubs. Hell, we are lucky that we would be getting this guy without even having to give up one of the big 4. You have to look at it from Toronto's side too. yea, I wish we could keep Drew and Mobley, and give up Bullard and Maloney for Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady. But its not in the other guy's interest. I think we should let them have anyone on our roster outside of the Big 4 for McGrady and Christie. Its the only realistic possibility.

5. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

Yeah i agree with u cabbage. I see what your saying.

6. popeye

popeye Member

Psssst Cole Slaw!

I saw your post,and edited mine in answer. Props to your sensible approach. [​IMG]

7. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Dont forget Toronto is stupid they were gonna send us the deeds to the house for Olajuwon, and dont forget about Willis, that guy is solid at best, certainly not worth the 16th and 18th picks in the draft let alone Pimple(Roy Rogers). Toronto is stupid as far as trades go, so lets take advantage of them. Camby for Oakley after they got Willis? Stoudamire for who?

------------------

uhhhhhhhmmmm..... whats a signature?

8. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

I could see the raptors going after Drew more than Mobley because Drew is a Pg and Mobley's position is really a SG. And the Raptors are REALLY in need of a PG.

9. thacabbage

Scarface:

In the Willis and Oakley and almost Olajuwon deals they were parting with young talent for proven veteran leadership which they wanted to mesh with their young talent. At the time, they felt that they had already enough young talent and they wanted the veterans. In the current deal we are discussing there are no veterans...

And in the Stoudamire deal, they got a player who was almost as good (kenny anderson) but he just didnt report and it blew the whole thing up.

10. thacabbage

Pippen33:

Who would you rather have? A player who can play BOTH the point and off guard, or just the point? yep. And one other thing, how many games did Bryce Drew PLAY in last year? How many games did Cuttino Mobley START in an UNNATURAL position last year? We know about Bryce Drew as Rocket fans and his great play in the revue, but what did he show last year? Now what did Mobley show? A LOT MORE...

11. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

Cabbage:

Even though i like Mobley. I dont think He can play the PG position. Barkley can play better.

Mobley is just not a Pg. I dont know who i would rather have. Bryce drew just didnt get alot of time to play last year. But i know Drew is going to become a good player.

12. thacabbage

right now I dont think it matters who WE like. It is who toronto likes. Im pretty sure if a deal happened they would BOTH be involved.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't forget about the rule mandating the Orlando Magic be involved in any trade that takes place this summer....Seriously,

If I remember correctly, the Chicago Bulls wanted the Celtics to draft McGrady (and Van Horn) so that they could trade Pippen and Longley for the pair. Hmmmm... Wonder how Pippen felt about that.

As far as McGrady, I read that Toronto is high on his potential. They thought (and still think) he could be a great player in this League and that he had the ball handling skills to mold himself in the image of a Scottie Pippen, Grant Hill, or an Anfernee Hardaway.....BUT the Raptors have also been concerned that he never stays after practice for the work that he sorely needs, he didn't add weight, he complained of sore feet (the same sore feet the every player in the NBA has during training camp), and remained in his Toronto apartment playing video games when he wasn't at work. Rumors also have it that Butch Carter devised a system that would give Tracy minutes in direct relation to how much time he put in to improving his game after practice. He didn't get a lot minutes from what I saw.

Tracy seemed to flourish when Vince Carter began to shine. I don't know what the correlation is with that, but maybe he will do the same with Steve Francis.

14. thacabbage

All I know is that Pip would be the best thing that ever happened to Tracy McGrady. His weight lifting habits could wear off on him, and McGrady is even taller than Pip at 6'9. With McGrady's ball handling abilities the Rockets could use him as a point forward when Steve Francis heats up, so he wont have to bring it down...It all seems too unrealistic to me though. They had a chance to trade him for Penny, and that was a much better deal. Whatever it is, I hope Rudy can find a way to work this out. Like I have said, the Raptors can have anyone on our roster for McGrady other than the Big 4...that doesnt leave much, but I guess a few draft picks could be thrown in (via Orlando trade, Mirsad Turkcan trade etc)....

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Did anybody mention that McGrady and Vince Carter are not just close; they are freaking cousins. I don't see Toronto making this deal without their frachise player's approval. It just doesn't seem likely.

BTW, don't McGrady and Carter play the same position, small forward? Maybe Toronto see that they can not both be stars playing the same position on the same time?

BTW2, who is Toronto's starting 2 that makes Christie expendable?

You have gotta think that Toronto would want to keep them both and would find a way for them both to be on the floor at the same time. Maybe having Carter drop down to the 2 spot?

16. thacabbage

Christie is expendable simply because he has been asking for a trade for the last 2 or 3 years now..Carter would probb drop down to the 2. I dont see this deal happening unless Grunwald is dumber than I think...but I can only hope.

17. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McGrady and Carter are 2nd cousins. They had never met each other until Carter was drafted. They didn't even know they were cousins until a few months after Carter was drafted. It's not like they've known each other their entire lives. I think Vince Carter would be more upset if hypothetically you traded away his good friend, Antawn Jamison. McGrady and Carter are not that close.

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady are not 2nd cousins. They're very distant cousins who didn't even know they were cousins until about a year before the Raptors drafted Carter. I recently read a story in Slam magazine that did a special on their relationship. They first met when TMac was a High School Freshman and Carter was a Junior or Senior. I don't think they knew they were cousins then but they soon found out.

ANyways, the fact that they just recently found out they were related and that they're distant cousins at that, their relationship has delevoped and increased faster than Thomas Hamilton's weight (hey, I had to get the now customary fat joke in here at the BBS) [​IMG].

They're reportedly very close now and both help each other out in their respective games. From my understanding, VCarter would be pretty peed off they traded his close friend/cousin.

Here in Toronto, they're making these two out to be the NBA's next great duo. But the same had been said about Howard and Webber, Penny and Shaq, Garnett and Marbury, Iverson and Stackhouse, Mercer and Walker and Baker and Robinson,etc.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Mobley AND Francis in the same backcourt? Can anyone say 'what hall-of-famers'?

19. thacabbage

"....Howard and Webber, Penny and Shaq, Garnett and Marbury, Iverson and Stackhouse, Mercer and Walker and Baker and Robinson..."

...McGrady and Francis.....

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

mobley and francis