1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Weakest Link

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc sports, Apr 19, 2001.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

Has anyone watched this show? What did you think?

I've seen it twice -- once because a special episode pre-empted another show I wanted to watch. [​IMG]

I'm not much for game shows, but it's not too bad. The format is interesting, and it's a lot faster than Millionaire. The questions range from rediculously easy, to very hard. It's pretty obvious that the American contestants haven't gotten the hang of it yet -- the biggest win was $78,000 (out of 1,000,000).

Bad points -- they try to make you hate the host, and she really isn't very scary. They also try to stir up emotions for/against the contestants, using these little parting shot between each round -- when it's silly to expect someone watching the show to get too worked up over a contestant on a one hour show.

Really Bad Point -- they need to find some way around saying the title of the show every other sentance. I didn't count, but let's put it this way... If we start a drinking game where you drink every time they said "THE WEAKEST LINK!," you'd pass out by the end of the second round and wouldn't wake up until sometime after the weekend.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

It's Survivor and Who Wants to be a Millionaire all rolled into one! WOO HOO!

I like it, and the host trips me out!

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I was gonna post about this too -- I LOVED THIS SHOW!

The questions are not that hard -- fairly mild, but the format is good. But the key to the show is the host . . . "You are the weakest link . . . goodbye". She makes it -- with anyone else, the show would be terrible.

------------------
    "Up and down, inside out, outside in, some you lose some you win"
    -- DMB -> "Sweet Up and Down"

4. Curly

Curly Member

Every time she says "the weakest link", I keep waiting for her to slam down some kind of stick on the podium! She reminds me of what you would see in some movie where they cast the stereotypical German woman that runs an orphanage. Her voice just cracks me up! Almost like the Soup Nazi!

PS. Insert usual PC statement about German woman...I'm part German, so I can say those kind of things.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I, too, love this show!

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    You had me at pagina.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I find the idea behind the game show interesting, but it could be done better. For example, why is there a commercial every 5 minutes? They should be able to fit one team into 30 minutes pretty easily. Second, I find the host to be very bad. Every once in a while she says something funny, but other than that she is not very exciting. Further, it bugs me that she is mean. Why do we have to have a mean host for the hsow to be successful? For example, last night was the first time I watched. Of course after every round she made some comment about how dumb the weakest link was, yet she was making mistakes herself. After one round she say "But its the vote that counts and you have 2 votes.....Byebye" when the person voted off had been voted for 3 times. I know this is trivial but if youre going to try and make fun of someone's intelligence you cant make dumb mistakes like that.

I think the show would be more interesting if there was a little Jerry Springer added and the teams were not 8 random people but rather 8 friends or 8 different family members.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

Supposidly, the folks in Great Britian loved her, and how she taunted the contestants. The U.S. producers were unsure what to do for a host here, so they just did like "Who's line is it anyway?" and hired her away. (Who's line has a new host -- Drew Carey -- but used most of the actors from the British show).

I'm not sure how the humor works here -- the taunting could get old. Like I said, the British love her -- but they worshiped Benny Hill. Their humor is just a little different.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited April 19, 2001).]

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

its pretty good , but the contestants are morons , They give the genius boy MTV questions while The High School hooker gets calculus .

------------------
    Vice President of Executive Operations of the Sean Colson Fan Club

http://bbs.babitze.com

[This message has been edited by moestavern19 (edited April 19, 2001).]

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I thought the host was really annoying.

------------------

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You are all the weakest links.

Goodbye.

11. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

The Australian host is really mean, but she tries to hard. I don't watch it on a regular basis, but last night one female contestant voted off some guy because 'he had a bad tie'. I don't get that.

It should also be called 'The Dumbest Link' because by the end of the rounds, all the smart people have been voted off by the dumb ones who want to win the money.

------------------
    Karma happens....
    Victoria Titans to win it all!

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

"You get to spin and then you get to choose!" Peggy Hill

------------------
    C-son
    ---------------------
    Dream on

13. DiSeAsEd MoNkEy

i found the host rather annoying

------------------
    im a girl...YAY!!!

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i have no TV and i like it.
    i havent seen an episode of survivor , big brother, the weakest mole at boot camp,
    "When good cops attack animals gone wild"

------------------
    right on