1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The W(why)TF did Trump do this? thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The whitch hunt continues.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wanted to compliment @Bagwellian to the D&D, strong content and patient, respectful delivery.

eric.81, B-Bob and JumpMan like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ok , I misinterpreted your post.

In comparison to NFL players , trump certainly has a bigger platform and there are higher expectations on him . Twitter is the medium not the platform , so while they both use Twitter , trump gets his audience from being the president and NFL players get theirs from being famous athletes .

I have less of a problem with NFL players saying anything because they don't have as much responsibility as the president does to be tactful .

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I didn't say we accept poor immigrants.

Trump's question was why we accept immigrants from shitholes, regardless of the individuals' educational/skill/financial situations.

JumpMan likes this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you think what trump said is worse than not accepting people unless they are smart, rich, or talented? that's way worse imo but let's ignore that which is real so we can attack the easy, fun, target that is trump. i actually like it and am glad to see everyone out of their comfort zones.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What it God's name are you blathering about? Trump suggested we shouldn't accept immigrants from poor countries. This is anti-American.

7. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

95 percent of Bagwellian posts are anit-Trump. He's obviously a troll.

#248 RocketsLegend, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. Bagwellian

Bagwellian Member

I would very much like to support both conservatives and liberals. I feel that both groups bring positive philosophies to the table. At the same time, perhaps I'm a bit prudish, but I really do feel that the way one conducts herself or himself is important. And I have a hard time reconciling what President Trump does and what he says.

Put it this way - it actually makes me uncomfortable seeing the profane word mentioned across all the news headlines. I understand that's part of our dialogue, but I'd prefer if, at least sometimes, we as a society didn't have to use so much profanity. I say this b/c maybe I should just accept President Trump's form of communication- but it's very difficult.

I don't want to say I favor one group or the other, but I will say that, as a newbie, some of the liberal voices on this board are much more coherent with their arguments. Perhaps it's just that the more intelligent conservatives on this board are in a bad position with President Trump as the head of their party.

Most importantly, I am very glad that Jake Marisnick resigned with the Astros. That is the news of the week, as far as I am concerned.

#249 Bagwellian, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Nippystix and NewRoxFan like this.
  10. ipaman

exactly which means our current immigration laws and work permit laws are even more anti-american than trump because affects all countries. those have been around longer than trump you know.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL, wait til they learn Norway is full of libruls.

45 is just dreaming of miss universe contestants.

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What it God's name are you blathering about? Our current immigration laws and work permits allow qualified candidates from shitholes.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I take that back. I looked at his posting history and 100 percent of his posts are about Trump. you're not fooling anyone Bagwellian.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...u don't believe him....do u? Dick Durbin came out publicly and Lindsey Graham private already confirmed what he said.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You realize you're also calling yourself a troll right? 95% of your own posts are about Trump, which proves that you are a russian troll.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

A Do Not Travel warning is not a different way of saying the country is a shithole. Knowing your posting history, I understand why you draw that equivalence. I do not. There can be many worthwhile things about a country even while it is dangerous. Norway -- where they have 0.56 murders per 100,000 people -- probably see the United States as a pretty dangerous place, where we have 4.88 per 100,000. Doesn't mean they should think the US is a shithole.

I agree with this sentiment. I've been a little annoyed with how much of the reaction is about the vulgarity of his language and the racism of his sentiment. I wholeheartedly agree with both of those criticisms. However, it seems like the policies at stake are getting lost and battle lines will instead be drawn on whether or not you appreciate political correctness out of the president.

In the case of the Haitians, the Salvadorans, etc, there is the issue of populations that have been living and working in the US for years legally. This isn't about addressing the problem of people dodging the system and coming undocumented but about what values we evince in our immigration policies. The temporary immigration statuses we had extended were for humanitarian reasons because of catastrophes in those countries. The impacts of those catastrophes still exist in Haiti and El Salvador. So, are we now going to be a country that does not extend humanitarian aid, does not offer refuge to people in crisis? Worse, are we really taking back the invitations we already extended? Trump obviously says yes and I'm sure plenty in his base agree with him. Even though these people have been living here legally all this time, they do not accept Haitians and Salvadorans as legit residents. Aside from the administrative farce that this temporary status is de facto permanent, there hasn't been a problem with having Haitians and Salvadorans legally resident here. It is, in fact, very disruptive to revoke the status now.

The second case is the diversity lottery. The whole point of the diversity lottery is to increase diversity in our population. Alt-right predictably enough hates this mechanism because they don't see diversity as a thing to be sought. What Trump's Norway comment here reflects is that he does not want diversity either. Norwegian immigrants don't inject any diversity. African countries do. I'd love to have heard what his reaction would be to the idea of accepting more immigrants from mainland China.

Policy-wise, this is about the ascendant alt-right agenda versus the previous liberal agenda. This is about stopping the diversification of American culture and preserving the white majority. When one talks about the racism implicit in what he says, you're not even capturing the full weight. Some will say "he's not wrong" and others will admit he's a racist but move on like this is just another verbal faux pas of his, another little outrage to throw on the pile. But, it isn't a passing scandal. This is his policy preference that he wants to see borne out in how our government makes our immigration decisions: he does not want to accept any immigrants that will further dilute our country's white, Western, nominally-Christian identity. To get there, the 50k annual diversity visas have to go (to Norwegians), the 200k legal Salvadorans have to go, the 60,000 legal Haitians have to go, the 86,000 Hondurans, the 15,000 Nepalese, the 5,000 Nicaraguans, the 12 million illegal immigrants, and the 1,250 refugees from the Indian Ocean that Obama accepted from Australia all have to go. That should blanch the population considerably and make his friends who rallied at Charlottesville happy.

krnxsnoopy, durvasa and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. ipaman

they should cause sections of it are. i mean why sugar coat it, the usa has some horrible cities and hoods. i should know, ive lived in some of htem. go visit some of the small towns and cities in the rio grande valley and looks like 3rd world countries. no paved roads, no running water, no sewer, schools being closed for poor academics, etc... my mom and her family are from piedras negras mexico just off the border from eagle pass. near eagle pass there are many town/villages including Las Colonias where you would think you are in the worst parts of mexico or central america. and those are americans who live there so yea sorry to burst your naive bubble but parts of america are shithole and some americans live in shitholes. but let's keep talking about ghanians and haitians feelings instead.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Noob.

ipaman likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trump is such a liar and shame on Cotton for trying to give him cover.

Tim Scott confirmed that Graham told him the same thing right after the meeting and now Graham has confirmed it as well, also confirming Dick Durbin's account that he pushed back and spoke up against the president for saying it.

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I do believe he called Haiti a "shithole" but I don't believe he said to kick them out of the country.