1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Under 25 Rockets: What is their Upside?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 18, 2017.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

there was that article after game 6 that said he liked here and can call it home or some sht.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

A whole lot of nothing on that list besides Capela

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

future Raptors

T for 3 and LCAhmed like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Never ceases to amaze me about how some 'Rockets Fans' will dog our players
    but will go gaga over some obscure scrub sitting on someone else's bench
    that is. . . . until they come to the Rockets Bench . .. then they are a scrub too

Rocket River

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Capela - league average (roughly 15th best) starting center
    Dekker - quality 20 MPG bench player
    Harrell - at the border line between rotation big and benchwarmer

Others - not much

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

yep. or 76ers....

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In NBA2K ratings (a game I haven't played in 3 years) their ceilings would be about....

Montrezl Harrell - 73 overall
    Chinanu Onuaku - 69 overall
    Isaiah Taylor - 64 overall
    Troy Williams - 74 overall
    Kyle Wiltjer - 67 overall
    Sam Dekker - 76 overall
    Clint Capela - 85 overall

GRATZ.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Zhou Qi has the highest upside other than Capela. Why wasn't he listed?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc there's absolutely nothing that tells anyone that

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed. This happens in general, just look at when we signed Anderson or when we got Lou...i guess as today a lot of people would say different things.

Personally, i have good hopes for Dekker, Nanu and let's say Trez too.

Dekker seems like that kind of player who has just too much feel and understanding of the game to not grow into a solid player, i think he's going to get better and better just by playing as the time goes on.

Not sure why people is soo low on Nanu, not saying he's going ot be 100% something special, but i like the potential of this kid, especially thinking we got him in the second round. He's still soo young...but you can already see he's pretty smart for a big man (which is rare as today), seems like he has also some swagger (which is also a good thing imo), and the fact that he accepted to shoot fts like he does, tells you that he's willing to do anything to get better and win, that's big. Again, he's very young, he's 3/4 years younger than Capela...i want to see how he does next season if he's going to get some playing time.

Trez really needs to develop a decent/good 3pt shot, it all comes down to this with him imo, with a 3pt shot he can be a good player in this league, without that eh...not saying he's going to be out of the league, but he has no chance to be a starter ot an important guy off the bench going forward.

On Wiltjer, Taylor and Williams i don't know, on paper i don't see anything special (aside for Kyle having a terrific shooting ability) but who knows, they're also young and they didn't have a chance to play much so...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Space City

Space City Member

Why is this here? Completely off topic. Also, are there still people who want to add Rudy Gay? Why? He's never won anything and he's been on some halfway decent teams. In his 11 year career, he's made the playoffs once and was bounced in 7 games. Sure, he's about to show the world he's on Durant's level, but let him do it somewhere else.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Don't you know that the wife of the neighbor or the boss is mostly hotter than one's own wife?

Or at least people have more fantasies about them than their own.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol i still remember some people wanted to trade a 1st pick for
    [​IMG]

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Here are my random guesses. First, if these guys totally flame out, and second if these guys tap every last bit of their potential skillset and then some, which I'm calling the "ludicrous case". Flame suit on.

Montrezl Harrell - worst case: Joey Dorsey, ludicrous case: Kenneth Faried
    Chinanu Onuaku - worst case: Hasheem Thabeet, ludicrous case: Theo Ratliff
    Isaiah Taylor - worst case: Ish Smith, ludicrous case: Monta Ellis
    Troy Williams - worst case: Omri Casspi, ludicrous case: Rudy Gay
    Kyle Wiltjer - worst case: Steve Novak, ludicrous case: Channing Frye
    Sam Dekker - worst case: Carl Landry, ludicrous case: Andrei Kirilenko
    Clint Capela - worst case: Tyson Chandler, ludicrous case: Dikembe Mutombo

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Furious Jam

"The young player they had that was picked by Houston is pretty good," Durant said. "He is long, he is agile and he can shoot the basketball really well."

I guess Kevin Durant is "absolutely nothing" in your estimation.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

what else is he supposed to say when asked about him? oh he sucks ok

17. Furious Jam

Durant was not specifically asked about Zhou. That's why Durant referred to Zhou as the "young player they had that was picked by Houston" - he couldn't remember his name.

Regardless, Zhou has a wingspan wider than anyone in the NBA other than Rudy Gobert, plus he shoots 3s on top of that. I'm not saying that he'll be an all-star or anything, but if you're talking about Rocket prospects 25 and under, he's got to be high up on that list.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean the fact that he has yet to step foot in the nba and played against real competition probably has a lot to do with it

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm very high on Capela. He has his ups and downs, but he just turned 23 and this was really his first full season. If he can get stronger and improve his rebounding, post defense, and shotblocking, he'll be a poor man's DeAndre for us for the next decade.

Dekker can be a solid contributor. He's not starter material, but he could be a terrific reserve if he improves his jumper. His athleticism is way better than I ever anticipated, especially coming off of back surgery.

Harrell is 8th or 9th man material. I think he's good enough to get minutes on a contender, but only 10-15 tops. His physical limitations are what are holding him back. He's not big enough to bang down low with the 4s and 5s of the league, but he's not quick enough to be a 3 either.

20. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Montrezl Harrell - 23 - I think destined to be an energy guy off the bench. Probably not in the regular rotation on a great team.
    Chinanu Onuaku - 20 - Not impressed so far. Still super young though. We'll see.
    Isaiah Taylor - 22 - Not impressed so far. Don't think he ever cracks a rotation.
    Troy Williams - 22 - Can he develop a consistent 3pt shot? If so he's a keeper and a rotation player on a great team.
    Kyle Wiltjer - 24 - Has to become a passable rebounder and defender to ever see court time. I'm skeptical.
    Sam Dekker - 23 - Can be a starter one day. Probably best as a stretch 4 in today's NBA. Needs to improve 3pt shot.
    Clint Capela - 23 - Can be a top 10 center. Hope he keeps getting better. On a great trajectory.

Capela needs to keep doing whatever it is he's been doing. I'm very impressed with his development. Can be the Rox starting center for years to come.

Williams and Dekker need play 3pt HORSE together every day of the offseason. Just shoot over and over and over. If they both can get to the point where they shoot 3's in the high 30's they can both be mainstays in the Rox rotation next year. Obviously they need to get better as team defenders but I have high hopes for them.