1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Unbelievable Efficiency of Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by azoghbi, Jan 24, 2008.

1. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

I fully realize that these stats are inflated and that they would go down considerably if Carl was given more playing time. But for now, let's just drool over these numbers...

Over the past six games, Carl has gone 20-22 from the field for an unreal 91% shooting. He's scored 48 points in 70 minutes off the bench with 25 rebounds and only ONE turnover. It's also important to note the instant energy he brings the team when he steps on the floor and the athleticism that he has that is matched only by Kirk Snyder. Alas, Kirk Synder is an idiot with no bball IQ, but Carl plays intelligently and has a PER of 35.35 (the next highest Rookie's PER is 18). Could this be a second round steal? Let's wait and see...

2. choujie

choujie Member

Very good offensive stats.

Defense is another story. Too many fouls and missed rotations. He's a rookie, he can learn.

3. jc1988

jc1988 Member

i think tonight RA let him stay throughout the 4th quarter (til he got fouled out) showed how impressed the coach has been by this rookie.

he could potentially become a perfect PF for Rox, a good defender, rebounder, mid-range shooter, finisher and a hustle player.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd like to see him get more minutes and mix in that mid-range jumper of his.

5. dedong22

dedong22 Member

his energy and atheleticism is what we need most

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

Hello to all you newley appointed LOF's ;)

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wasn't big on Hakeem working with Yao. It was whatever. But get Hakeem in the gym with this kid and see what happens over the Summer.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holl...://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings

Landry is ranked 4th in the NBA on PER. The first legit player is Lebron James at 29 PER. If Landry can keep this up, he'll be in very elite company.

#1 Jerome James 2007-08 Current PER: 46.74
    League Average Comparison: +31.74
    Projected PER: 0

2006-07 PER: 5.16Big Macs: $7.64. French Fries: $1.83. Slurpee: $4.29. Getting paid $30 million on the basis of four good playoff games: Priceless. James remains the shining symbol of the waste and ... Complete Profile

#2 Kosta Perovic 2007-08 Current PER: 43.59
    League Average Comparison: +28.59
    Projected PER: 14.21The Warriors used a chunk of their midlevel exception to bring over the 2006 second-draft pick from Serbia. Perovic played in the Euroleague last season and his numbers weren't ... Complete Profile

#3 Ian Mahinmi 2007-08 Current PER: 35.94
    League Average Comparison: +20.94
    Projected PER: 0San Antonio's first-round pick in 2005 surprisingly got the call to come over from Europe this year. His translated Player Efficiency Ratio from last season is only 7.85, so we're ... Complete Profile

#4 Carl Landry 2007-08 Current PER: 35.35
    League Average Comparison: +20.35
    Projected PER: 0The first pick of the second round, Landry is an undersized power forward whose best assets are strength and toughness. Though only 6-7, he has a solid 248-pound frame and could ... Complete Profile

#5 Randolph Morris 2007-08 Current PER: 34.77
    League Average Comparison: +19.77
    Projected PER: 0

2006-07 PER: 1.54In one of the more bizarre events in draft annals, Morris was eligible to jump to the NBA immediately after completing his season at Kentucky because he had entered a previous draft ... Complete Profile

#6 LeBron James 2007-08 Current PER: 29.86
    League Average Comparison: +14.86
    Projected PER: 26.76

2006-07 PER: 24.56James had a largely disappointing regular season, one that was completely forgotten in the playoffs when he had one of the great Thanks-Guys-I'll-Take-It-From-Here moments in sports ... Complete Profile

#7 Chris Paul 2007-08 Current PER: 27.92
    League Average Comparison: +12.92
    Projected PER: 24.67

2006-07 PER: 22When on the court, Paul was just as effective in Year 2 as he was during his breakout rookie season, but injuries limited him to 64 games and quite possibly kept the Hornets from ... Complete Profile

#8 Amare Stoudemire 2007-08 Current PER: 26.88
    League Average Comparison: +11.88
    Projected PER: 23.73

2006-07 PER: 23.15He fought microfracture surgery and won. Stoudemire's return got off to a slow start; he seemed out of sync at the start of the season and wasn't even in the right zip code on defense. ... Complete Profile

#9 Kevin Garnett 2007-08 Current PER: 25.77
    League Average Comparison: +10.77
    Projected PER: 24.1

2006-07 PER: 24.2By the standards of any other player, Garnett had a great year. By his own lofty standards, however, it was a bit disappointing. Garnett still posted the eighth-best Player Efficiency ... Complete Profile

#10 Manu Ginobili 2007-08 Current PER: 25.45
    League Average Comparison: +10.45
    Projected PER: 21.7

2006-07 PER: 24.18Usually secondary players on championship teams become somewhat overrated. Ginobili is the glaring exception to that rule. He's perceived as a nice, solid, complementary player ... Complete Profile

#11 Dwight Howard 2007-08 Current PER: 24.84
    League Average Comparison: +9.84
    Projected PER: 24.51

2006-07 PER: 21.19Howard took another big step on his path to stardom, making his first All-Star team while dominating in the basket area. The 6-11 center's increased power can be seen in his much ... Complete Profile

#12 Chris Bosh 2007-08 Current PER: 24.76
    League Average Comparison: +9.76
    Projected PER: 24.02

2006-07 PER: 22.72The smooth southpaw missed some time in the early part of the season with a knee injury, but it might have been the best thing that could have happened to him. Bosh looked a little ... Complete Profile

#13 Chauncey Billups 2007-08 Current PER: 24.75
    League Average Comparison: +9.75
    Projected PER: 19.98

2006-07 PER: 21.38Mr. Big Shot turned into Mr. Bellyflop for the second straight postseason, as his offensive game suddenly disappeared in May for no apparent reason. As the chart shows, Billups' ... Complete Profile

#14 Kobe Bryant 2007-08 Current PER: 24.73
    League Average Comparison: +9.73
    Projected PER: 25.34

2006-07 PER: 26.13Kobe had an amazing season, in a way that I'm not sure is fully appreciated. Bryant came into the season cold after having knee surgery in July. He didn't play any preseason games ... Complete Profile

#15 Tim Duncan 2007-08 Current PER: 24.29
    League Average Comparison: +9.29
    Projected PER: 23.72

2006-07 PER: 26.19One of the more amazing subplots of the MVP race was how everyone conveniently ignored Duncan's existence. While this is remarkably easy to do given his lack of spectacular highlights, ... Complete Profile

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

This thread would've never existed had JVG still been at the helm. Then again, our record wouldn't be the same either.

Anyways I'm ecstatic our boy CL is doing well with his minutes. I actually didn't even think he'd get any minutes behind Hayes/Scola. Here's to hoping Landry will make Morey look like a grand wizard.

10. ekim

ekim Member

JVG had no problem playing Chuck and Head... you don't see Adelman giving minutes to Novak.

Crap players such as Vspan and Novak will not see any minutes under any head coach in the NBA its not just JVG. Get over it.

11. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Ok I dunno if you remember but Head was played due to all the injuries.. it was out of necessity. It just so happened that he was pretty good at shooting that kept him there.

I'm not talking about V nor Novak. Vspan was a headcase and Novak was clearly useless. I still think Landry wouldn't have gotten these minutes under JVG, but that's assuming we'd have a better record. I think it's logical behind a healthy Scola and Hayes.

12. FFz

FFz Member

Oh okay... so the one thing that JVG did right, it wasn't really wasn't his choice. People seem to forget that JVG actually gave Vspan a chance in december last season and also gave Novak a chance as a STARTER! You can even go back earlier in his track record to see him developing young guys like Charlie Ward and Marcus Camby.

For the last time... quit hating on the man. He got fired half a year ago!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True, time to let it go.

;)

DD

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I love the passion and energy he brings to the court. I thought he was going to either cry or kill somebody when he got called for that foul last night that fouled him out. He REALLY wanted to be in the game.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think Landry had the highest offensive efficiency rating of any PF in the 2007 draft and that includes the beloved Glen Big Baby Davis. To actually think that there were alot of members on this board that wanted Landry waived when the rockets were making there cuts before the season started is hilarious. If you watched him play in college, you would have known this kid could play and there are facets to his game that we still haven't seen. He's the starting PF next season for sure and may have a shot at some point this season. He looks very good while playing along side Yao.

16. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

That's what sold me man. He seems to have a good rapport with the rest of the team too. I remember on some play he was saying something like "My bad Mac" to Tracy, Tracy acknowledged him and kind of game him an "It's all good" gesture.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Aargh ....

DaDakota, set this guy straight.

18. awo86

awo86 Rookie

EXACTLY, THAT'S WHY HE'LL NEVER COMPLETELY REPLACE HAYES.
    with these three forwards, they all have their strength and weaknesses. that's y i like them all very much.

19. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Blake had a pretty good post debunking this statement, so I'll just reference his post below on the subject. BTW, stop hating on JVG.

20. Nero

Nero Member

This is yet another reason to trust in Morey. Every thing about drafting Landry is a reflection of what Morey is about, and what he was brought here to do.

Landry may not have had the biggest 'star' name in the draft at his position, but all the scouting break-downs and stats analysis showed that he was always ranked at or near the very top in almost every category.

The only question I had was whether or not he was going to get any pt this year, with both Hayes and Scola in front of him.

But now, it appears pretty clear that Hayes is going to wind up being Landry's backup, and with Scola in that mix as well, we should always have a solid 48 minutes of heart and hustle.

Well done Morey.

Doubters, it's time to go Opus Dei on yourselves.