1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Two Step

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 15, 2009.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock if already posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/...ss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4563546

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good.

It's dumb to say one thing in the rule book, when its been enforced a different way pretty much for as long as I can remember.

Until that TrueHoop blog, I always assumed the rule was you couldn't take 3 steps. 2 steps just seems natural to me.

3. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

LBJ will start taking 4 steps......

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's what I'm afraid of. When the rule was one step, players got a way with 2 or 3. If the rule is 2 steps, will players get away with 3 or 4? It's one thing if the rule is changed to match reality. I just hope it doesn't make the problem worse.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think it removes the ambiguity. The main reason why players got away with two steps (other than star power) was because 1 and a half steps were allowed, making it hard for refs to make on the ball judgements if it was a half step or two whole steps. Now that two steps are allowed, I think calling traveling violations will be simpler for everyone.

6. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

LBJ will be fastbreaking the full court without dribbling.

7. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I wonder if they are going to call this the Lebron James Rule ala Crab Dribble :p

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I shouldn't be surprised, but it's still disappointing to see them bastardize the game formally.

This is exactly why the US has struggled in international play the past decade.

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

it's a sad day for basketball fans. :(

the nba is pushing it's superstars to the max and that's really bad for the game in general. it just sucks.

10. durvasa

I don't know of any league - high school, college, professional -- where they enforce a 1-step rule after picking up the basketball.

And its not just players like LBJ who take more than 1 step. Anyone ever take a close look at the Dream Shake? That is : (1) step back with right foot - turn, (2) second step with left foot - fadeaway jumper.

Virtually every post move where we praise the player for "great footwork" involves utilizing two steps. This rule change needed to be made. It's always a good idea to remove ambiguity on what's allowed.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is pathetic....it takes away a defensive players ability to ...well...defend.

DD

12. durvasa

"Borgia, whose father was also an NBA official, said he cannot remember a time when NBA referees did not allow two steps."

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well most NBA players wouldn't be able to stop on a dime when running at near-full speed. :p

So two steps is reasonable.

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

ridiculous. What's next? Lower goals? Bigger hoops? the elimination of dribbling altogether?

These types of moves show that Stern has an insecurity complex regarding the short term appeal of his sport, and his decision to "market" it by changing the rules is deplorable.

Sadly, it's these things that will lose true fans in the long run, not gain them. True fans don't want the rule to change to accommodate subpar play in order to see another highlight... they want the game to be officiatde fairly and accurately according to the rules in place. This one would seem to be part of the very fabric that makes up the game, and we're going to change it for highlights and ratings?

Next you'll tell me that MLB is turning a blind eye to p.e.d.'s and changing the baseballs to artificially enhance the excitement of the game in the face of a century of tradition and ethics.

oh wait...

I'm sure players like Battier are as sick about this as I am.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't understand the hate for this rule change. Anyone here actually play basketball? Who doesn't take two steps when shooting a layup. This certainly isn't new in the NBA. Check out Dr J's famous "Rock The Baby" dunk. How many steps is he taking here?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbQKzTg0SPI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbQKzTg0SPI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

what else is new

17. durvasa

We could go back further than that. How about late 50s -- Elgin Baylor in college (see at 0:58 that he takes his last dribble .. and proceeds to take 2 more steps):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQAuXFMLU3c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQAuXFMLU3c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The old rule was like a step and a half, you could step while picking up your dribble for the half and take one more.

These rules will allow for 2 and 1/2 steps......

DD

19. thething

thething Contributing Member

I believe the refs are told to officiate the same way as they always have. This should have no impact on the game. It's only wording--nothing to worry about.

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Wow, exactly. This is a genius post.