1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Turnover Question. (stats geeks, would love your thoughts)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pentajigga, Jan 8, 2014.

1. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

Hi guys, i wanted to start a conversation to examine the way turnovers are viewed. i hope that cluthfans w more experience on the matter can chime in w both data and other info.

what's on my mind:

1. high turnovers are not convincingly correlated w losing. rockets have a better wining percentage in high turnover games (or we did last i checked), and OKC is at the top of the league in turnovers and winning percentage. this will lead to the next thing on my mind...

2. all turnover are not created equal. just like we've been learning that all shots are not created equal -- a three or shot at the rim are, on average, superior to a mid-range shot.

i strongly suspect that a turnover created by a hard drive that could result in a very high-percentage shot (lay-up, dunk), or a turnover on a pass that would result in a very high-percentage shot, are certainly better for the team than others. i'm sure there are ways to show that attempting to create a 70% shot is worth the risk of a turnover as long as you can succeed 60-70% of the time with the pass or the higher-risk play (drive into traffic).

a missed shot is a turnover of sorts as well. and i can imagine that a hard drive to the basket that's stripped towards the end of the play may not really be worse than settling for a lower percentage shot. possibly, even a better percentage play for players who have superior drive and finishing #s.

in no way am i saying that the rox don't have turnover issues (though i'm actaully not sure), or am i saying that there are not bad turnovers. but i think it's a poor measure of play without more detail.

i suspect that truth is that...
    - many turnovers are worthwhile risks. (think a 37% 3pt shooter)
    - players bettering certain skills (control of the ball, passing accuracy) shrink their risk and raise their success percentage of risky plays, thus making these plays better for team. think a 37% 3pt shooter, who becomes a 41% shooter from 3 because of training.
    - players that better their decision-making can cut down on turnovers that are not worth the risk. think a player not taking a contested three that might be only a 25% shot, even for a 37% or 41% shooter.

thanks for any light you can shed on the subject!

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Are you just making excuses for Lin?

Remember Harden is leading the league in turnovers for 2 years in a row and he's a true superstar... Lololololo

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I always think 24 seconds violation(a turnover) is generally better than a low percentage shot, which more often than not ends up with a fastbreak and easy points for opponents.

Same holds true for defending shots: Good close out often lead to missed shots and ball possession, so technically it's better than blocking it outbounds.

However, 24 secs viloation make you look bad, and highlight block looks way more impressive...

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Are there stats anywhere that distinguish live-ball turnovers from dead-ball turnovers?

Live ball turnovers are killers, because they hurt you on both ends.

Edit:

nbawowy.com helps answer the question:

http://nbawowy.com/query/qpjq25f59nfm9529

According to this, opponents shoot 57.9 eFG% off of steals against us. They shoot 47.6 eFG% on shots that aren't off of steals. They shoot 40.2 eFG% off of non-steal turnovers (so, I think a dead ball situation, where our defense is set).

#4 durvasa, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

Turnovers (of decent NBA players) only hurt the team when the player stop playing aggressively due to the concern of turnovers.

6. JBar

JBar Rookie

I know the Rockets track live-ball vs. dead-ball turnovers, because early last season Morey said that they weren't too concerned about Lin's turnovers because a lot of them were dead-ball turnovers (charges and passes thrown out of bounds.) But it appears to me (from memory) that Lin's live-ball turnovers are up this season. Would be curious to see these stats for the whole team.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Click the ball-handling tab in that link, and that expand the TOV Details towards the bottom of the page.

8. timyeung

timyeung Member

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but last season, stats show that games where Lin had high TO's correlated more with wins, whereas games where Lin had low TOs correlated more with losses. For Harden, the TO stats made more sense. More TOs for Harden correlated more with team losses. As a guess, its possible that in games where Lin had high TOs, he played more aggressively, and thus we were more likely to win. Its only a guess.

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

correct if you have a beard they are ok but if you just signed with adidas they are not

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

Thanks, durvasa

11. JBar

JBar Rookie

So durvasa's link clears that up: Lin is indeed committing lots of live-ball turnovers this year.

And no Tim, that's a separate issue. But it could be true: In other words Lin's aggressiveness might, say, lead to higher turnovers but it also might lead to higher team TS%, which could outweigh the turnovers. That would be an interesting study: to see the link generally between turnovers and TS%.

12. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

This is one of those things that requires a lot more analysis to fully understand. Low turnovers, as defined by the box score, have been shown to correlate pretty strongly with wins (Dean Oliver assigns it a weight of .25 in his book "Four Factors of Basketball Success", with the other factors being scoring, rebounds, and free throws). However, one can perform other analyses that can show that in some situations high turnovers correlate with higher scoring (including higher scoring efficiency), which seems to intuitively run counter to the notion that low turnovers correlate with winning.

What I would say is that the idea that turnovers are, in and of themselves, classified incorrectly is probably correct. In some sense, each possession can result in either positive points (scoring the basket) or giving the ball to the other team. Within those two ultimate outcomes, however, are a whole slew of potential actions, each with their own probabilities of turning into either positive points or giving the ball to the other team. One example of this is simply shooting the ball, which can result in making the basket or missing, and then the results of missing are then determined by who gets the rebound, which resets the entire flow chart all over again (an offensive rebound having a high percentage to turn into points, while a defensive rebound means a loss of possession).

Taking into account every single possibility & probability, one can see how simply classifying something as a "turnover" or not might magnify what is in actuality a pretty small problem in the context of an NBA game. If roughly half of your possessions will ultimately result in a change of possession anyway, then the ~10-15% chance that there is a turnover could be understood as a comparatively small proportion of that pie.

What you really want to see is a flow chart or a stochastic process where each state has with it a corresponding probability. For example, shooting the ball might give you a 50% chance of points, with a 25% chance of an offensive rebound and a 25% chance of a defensive rebound. Having a better scorer changes those probabilities to 40/20/20. Having a better rebounder changes them to 50/35/15.