1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Truth.com

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Since the topic had strayed a bit in the ads we hate thread, I figured I'd make us a new one here to debate this one.

Strictly from the perspective of clever advertising and a well-run campaign, The Truth ads are head and shoulders above just about anything else on TV whether you agree with them or not.

The ironic part is that the people at The Truth used the money that states got from lawsuits against the tobacco industry to fund their efforts, so, in essence, the tobacco industry is paying for those ads. If that isn't poetic justice, I don't know what is.

The tobacco industry has tried several times to sue The Truth because their ads are "too harsh" with regard to their business practices. I feel really sorry for them.

By the way, if no one has been to <a href="http://www.thetruth.com">The Truth.com</a>, definitely take a look. The site alone is worth seeing even if you don't agree with their stance. I have spent a lot of time there since developing SOR. While Clutch and I agreed we could never do they kind of Flash animation they do, we could certainly incorporate the kind of information they do. It is an amazing site.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK, I'll give my responses...

Jeff,

That is a pretty nice site and you are right about the irony - that is something I did not know.

As for the ad campaign itself (in response to AntiSonic):

First, people on the whole are dumb. When you are dealing with a mass market of viewers, you must assume they are stupid, so that you may cover all bases to get your point across. For decades, the tobacco industry (among others) has been doing the same thing and churning out misinformation.

Personally, I think The Truth ads should make things up - horrible things. Smoking causes IMMEDIATE lip fungus, etc. You do it enough, people will believe.

Our lives are so dominated by advertising, that we have very little defense. Ad execs know what colors to use to stimulate a certain response, have been known to flash things on the screen so quickly so that only our subconscious mind picks it up, and other dirty little tricks. Everyone does it.

So when a public health campaign bludgeons us with facts, is harsh, and may (for some people) treat us all like idiots - then I do not mind. They are just learning how to play the game.

Smoking is different than peanut butter cups - there are chemicals that encourage addiciton, and it can be damaging to the user as well as those around the user. Thus, I cannot say that if someone wants to smoke it is no big deal to me.

------------------
    "One evening I seated Beauty on my knees. And I found her bitter."

"I am a sick man...I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts."

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

AntiSonic, I'm just pointing out where you accuse them of completely demonizing the tobacco industry.

As of now, and even maybe a decade ago, I have no sympathy for those who smoke and become ill. But the fact still remains that for years the tobacco companies lied about the harmful and addictive effects of nicotine.

I hear arguments all the time that people make their own choices, then they turn around and blame Hollywood. At least be consistent. If people aren't dumb enough, as you claim, to not know the effects of tobacco, then they sure as hell ain't dumb enough to try weed or heroin because the see an actor doing it.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

4. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

what's wrong with making lawyers richer?!

[​IMG]

------------------

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I think the tobacco industry is evil, I have no respect for them.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

RM95- I wasn't blaming Hollywood. Sorry that you didn't pick up the sarcasm in that post(I thought I layed it on pretty thick when I not only put "making" in quotation marks, but also capitalized it), but I was calling for the people that call the tobacco industry murderers to have a little consistency themselves. Going by THEIR logic, the entertainment industry should be Public Enemy Number One.

"...then they sure as hell ain't dumb enough to try weed or heroin because the see an actor doing it."

I'm sorry, but wouldn't you think the "truth" people would give Tommy Chong, Chris Tucker, or John Travolta just a wee bit more credibility as threats than JOE CAMEL?!?! If you're going to claim that a friggin' cartoon character makes kids smoke, than you should be willing to also go on the attack of film makers. Again, I'm not blaming Hollywood, I'm just saying that there are some serious flaws in "truth's" campaign.

rimbaud- "Smoking is different than peanut butter cups - there are chemicals that encourage addiciton, and it can be damaging to the user as well as those around the user."

Exactly, but everyone knows the possible consequences before lighting up, afterall, they're written on the sides of the boxes.

There are a lot worse industries than the tobacco market, people. Pointing fingers at them and calling them murderers is going to do nothing but make a bunch of lawyers richer. And mark my words, if this kind of passing the blame continues, someday someone's going to sue Hostess for getting fat.

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited July 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited July 11, 2000).]