1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The truth behind a trio of James, Wade and Bosh would never work

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redrush, Jul 3, 2010.

1. redrush

redrush Member

Finally someone who isn't caught up in the glitter of this year's free agency speaks up. Everyone serve a role in a basketball team and it seems like these young talent has a problem understanding if they think a trio of James, Wade and Bosh would work.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ors-does-anyone-understand-basketball-anymore

NBA Free Agent Rumors: Does Anyone Understand Basketball Anymore?

So tonight on Charlie Rose they had a bunch of sports yahoos from ESPN and other outlets talking about, you guessed it, LeBron James.

First off, I would have thought old Charlie would have something else to talk about considering the bad job numbers earlier in the day, the new attempt by BP to contain the oil leak in the gulf, and Gen. Petraeus meeting with 1,200 people in Afghanistan on his first day as the new commander.

But nooo!!! He had to trot out a bunch of goofballs to contradict each other about where little Prince James might be headed. It was so bad they even had Jim Gray on the panel.

Along with the bald guy from ESPN who didn't play basketball. You know who I'm talking about. The guy your friends pointed to and said "Who's that?" all through the NBA Finals. The one who's not Magic, or Barry, or Wilbon.

The other guy. The dude no one cares about enough to Google search on their iPhone.

Anyway. A big part of the show was the new rumors regarding James and Dwyane Wade being interested in playing together in Chicago.

This is of course after the New York Times said James and Bosh to Chicago was a done deal last weekend and Fox Sports' Stephen A. Smith announced that all three superstars had discussed it and they were playing in Miami next year.

Now, I'm not saying that James and Wade won't be wearing Bulls colors next year.

D Wade met with his hometown team a second time in two days indicating that he has a definite interest. And James is meeting with the Bulls tomorrow. So who knows.

I just don't understand the logic.

If both players did end up in Chicago with Derrick Rose they will have a terrible team and anyone who knows basketball should know that.

Any team with Rose, Wade and James is a disaster waiting to happen. Three guys can't all handle the ball. That mean two players will have to change their games.

That's not easy to do if you're used to having the ball all the time.

It bugs me that there are so many idiots out there who don't understand the game and I'm starting to think D Wade and LeBron are as clueless as anyone else.

There's a reason that the Bulls didn't have a point guard running the show when Michael Jordan was on the team. Because the team ran through Michael.

The Boston Celtics of the 80's had two terrific guards in Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge but neither was a classic point guard. Because the team ran through Larry Bird.

Same with the great 80's Lakers with Magic, the Isiah Thomas-led Pistons and the current Lakers with Kobe Bryant. There's no confusion because everyone knows who the team runs through.

Then there's the question of what happens when the team inevitably struggles. Are they going to point fingers at one another. Will they implode?

Will they pout and give up like LeBron did when things got tough against Orlando and Boston?

That's why James should try to play with Chris Bosh if he tries to play with anyone. Bosh doesn't need the ball to be effective.

I hope they do go to Chicago. Then everyone can see what hubris and a lack of basketball knowledge will get you. What happens when you let the inmates run the asylum.

I guarantee they won't win next year. Then the year after that, there will most likely be a lockout.

Which means Prince James comes back after the lockout as a 30-year-old player with no rings starting the downside of his career.

That's about the time Kobe will be passing on the mantle of the best player in the game to Kevin Durant. And Durant has a team that fits him like a glove.

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

This article is full of hate and stupidity.

Lets just say that Chicago's super team didn't work, do you know what they could get if they decided to put any of those guys on the market? Oh they need role players? A team like Houston would give them every role player they need just to get any one of Rose, Bosh, Wade (forget about Lebron because he's never going on the market).

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He's right though, Wade and Rose is one of those disastrous backcourts where you have two awesomely skilled players who each play half the game effectively.

4. spysta

spysta Member

This article is so gay, he sounds like somebodies bitter ex girlfriend.

Yes, im sure two of the three best basketball players on earth dont understand basketball. :rolleyes:

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wade and Rose would adjust to each other. Rose has very good PG instincts and would adjust his game to be more of a facilitator. His scoring would go down and his assists would go up. Wade would adjust by scoring more off picks and slashing while letting Rose handle the ball more. The reduced wear and tear on Wade's body during the course of the season would allow him to take over come playoff time. The two would also switch roles from time to time. They would be the dominant backcourt for years to come. For the sake of comparison, think of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli on steroids.

Chemistry-wise on offense, Bosh would be the better addition to those two than LeBron. He doesn't need the ball as much and he plays more of an inside game than LeBron.

The key to their championship aspirations would be defense. When LeBron and Wade focus hard on defense, each guy goes to a ridiculous level. We've all seen highlights of what LeBron can do to people. Wade also makes incredible plays on defense because of his instincts, intelligence and ridiculous athleticism. Makes your head spin. The idea of LeBron and Wade both turning up their defensive intensity on the same team (coached by Thibadeau) would be amazing. Both guys could go all out on both ends of the floor because neither would have to carry 75% of the load on offense with each other and Rose on the team.

IMO, the Chicago "super team" with Wade/LeBron or Wade/Bosh joining Rose, Noah, Gibson, Johnson, etc would work very well.

6. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I don't understand why people think just because KG, Ray Allen, and Pierce played together that any other 3 superstars can do it. Don't people realize that they were at the end of their careers and were matured enough to understand whats important.

Bron, Bosh are both 25 and D-Wade is 29. Still in their primes and still honestly want to be the guy. Theres only one basketball. I mean they probably can play but i maybe wrong but i don't see it working out.

Lakers had a dream team roster and lost to Detroit in the finals. Now maybe those guys were old but still.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Rose-Wade-LeBron-Noah on the same team would be scary. The only downside would be lack of shooting, but I agree they would be a dominant defensive team.

8. redrush

redrush Member

Of course if it doesn't work you can trade them and get something maybe something good from the trade but the focal point here is that they stress about winning and winning now. Wade, James and maybe even rose if they do happen to go to Chicago, are at they are best when they have the basketball. Which is why the team paying them big money for. This is not an All-Star game, you are not trying to put up a show; It is about winning basketball games and winning championship. When there is 10 sec left on in the game who are you going to give the ball to. I am glad someone mention about the Boston 3's, This is a perfect example. Pierce handles the ball and drives to the basket, Garnett Is the force around the basket and Allen can hit the 3's and they are perfectly happy with it; because that's what they are paid to do so.

Although this article might sounded "gay" or bitter, I do understand the frustration from the writer. People start to realize that they are just caught up in the idea of this Wade, James, Bosh trio thing and aren't really thinking about the basketball side of the situation. Which contradict their wanting to win mentality.

9. plus1

plus1 Member

So, we should have lost then, in the Olympics... Right.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This guy really loves that ENTER key. Does he have a point? Yeah but it's hidden in 40 stanzas of rant that is just more evidence of how Bleacher is more of a dumpster dive than a credible source.

11. redrush

redrush Member

haha you are serious about the olympics...right. The level of competition is not even in the same sentence. And vinsensual, this is a read to understand something strictly conceptional, not informational purpose; how would an article from bleacher be disqualified from any you would consider a qualifying source.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think LeBron is holding all the other potential max FA hostage at the moment, and holding hostage a score of teams. The summit is more about LeBron' wish to have first pick, and appeasing LeBron. I can't imagine any team, including the Heat, signing someone else if LeBron gives them the go ahead.

So right now, I am sure Wade, Bosh and Johnson are palling around trying to convince LeBron to sign with a team other than their favorites. Saying **** like,"yeah man, come here to Miami and sign and I'll sign too and we can win like 50 championships."

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its still an intriguing enough idea to think about that could have success. I think there's a higher likelihood of the trio being BORING to fans, rather than it being a complete team failure.

Everyone looks at the Celtics Big 3. The 2006 Pistons had four All Stars. Not in different years, all in the SAME year. Tayshaun Prince not an All Star though a very good player himself

Comparing a possible LeBosh Wade trio on the Bulls with those Pistons:
    C Billups - D Rose
    R Hamilton - D Wade
    R Wallace - L James
    B Wallace - C Bosh
    T Prince - J Noah
    A talent favor toward the Bulls. Though remember Pistons could have had freaking Carmelo Anthony to that.

What made the Pistons good was the talent committing to DEFENSE. The Bulls would similarly commit to defense with Tom Thibs. Its almost scary to think about all those guys playing fierce D together. Age, athleticism and IQ all on their side... :confused:

Thats all on paper though. In the real world there's ego clashes, demands and entitlement issues.

14. BigTex

BigTex Member

remember 2006?

15. plus1

plus1 Member

2004, actually. But yea, I was trying to forget about it.

I'm not saying a team with D-Wade, LBJ and Bosh would be a guaranteed winner. I just disagree with the OP's prediction that the forming of said team would lead to the certain death and "disaster" of any team that tries to put the three together.

Sure, the OP makes some valid points in the post and the '04 Team was a mess (despite 'weak' international competition), but it's still a stretch to conclude that they can't/won't change their respective games and work together. '08 was still pretty successful after all.

16. plus1

plus1 Member

My mistake. Guess you were talking about the '06 Worlds

17. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

if you put wade, rose, and lebron on a team you have 3 players willing to pass. That is over 20+ assist average a night. They can share the ball, the defense on the perimeter would be sick, not to mention noah in the post. Get real op, haters gonna hate

18. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Even our own Morey calculated those 3 players on a same team would give about 45 wins or so. Yes its a lot of talent and athleticism, but what makes basketball work is cohesiveness. Especially wade, lebron, rose, those guys are most effective with the ball in their hands and subpar on the offball, there are not many better players than them with teh abll in their hands, but there are much better off ball players with better offball awareness and skils, so this minimizes their strengths and takes away what makes them great, with lebron he is better off with guys who can shoot and run around off ball and just play defense, solid role players like battier and the like than he would be with soemone like rose who is a subpar catch and shoot player....is not as simply as people like it to be whehre ou just put the best scorers together and you get the win, it has to make sense, and fit the puzzle and be cohesive...

19. skattles08

skattles08 Member

The article does make a good point. Rose Wade and LBJ have always been the primary ball handler on their respective teams and for example when lebron isn't handling the ball he gets tentative and hangs out on the wing, which pretty much makes him average. It'd be easier to see this working if these guys weren't all basically point guards at different positions like they are.

Having said that it would also be hard to believe that the best players in the game couldn't adapt to their teams needs and become a system of rotating points where the main ball handler changes at any given time and the other two just follow along until it's their turn.

Not sure exactly how it would pan out but it'd be fun to watch either way