1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Truth About Ms. Skinner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MadMax, Oct 4, 2000.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Does everyone know about Ms. Skinner now?? She's the pet of Al Gore...the old lady in Iowa who he claims has to forage for aluminum cans to recycle in order to pay for her prescription drugs. Whatever...He brought her up last week and used her a few times in the debate last night. In fact, his last statements involved her and how his plans would affect her.

Do you all know yet the Des Moines Register has been reporting for about 3 days now that she is the mother of a well-to-do businessman in Iowa?? He apparently has offered to pay for all her prescription medications, but she won't accept because she considers searching for aluminum cans to be a hobby (something to do with her time) and feels better about paying for the medicine herself. Admirable, to say the least.

------------------

2. PhiSlammaJamma

If what you say is true, then I say two things. Make that three.

1) Gores prep team was not very good. Something I doubt, but is possible they missed it.
    2) It doesn't really matter. The point was taken by the people and this woman, whoever she is, will be forgotten.
    3) Why wasn't Bush ready to pounce on a fatal error if true?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited October 04, 2000).]

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It is true to the best of my knowledge. I heard it reported last night by Bill Kristol on Fox News and I saw an interview with a reporter from Des Moines who was writing the story.

It's not that the Gore team didn't prepare for it...Gore lies all the time about very identifiable facts. (invented the internet; he and tipper were the basis of "love story"; he discoverd "love canal"; his mom used to sing him the union label song as a lulaby; the cost of his mother's arthritis medication; he didn't know it was a fundraiser, etc) This is just another in a long line.

As for Bush attacking it...why would he?? Bush brought up that he was disappointed in Gore for not being forthright about the Tibetian monastery fundraiser...Gore responds by saying, "You've attacked my character, and I won't respond in kind." Huh??? It's not an attack..it's a fact. It's a strategy of Bush to avoid these things coming from his mouth. He's better to have others talk about the exaggerations that Gore seems to be so prone to engage in. I mean, for heaven's sake...the man used her as the basis for his closing last night in the first presidential debate!!!!

As for the point..I think you're on to something there...he using her as an illustration. The problem is the illustration is a lie.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MadMax (edited October 04, 2000).]

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Max, I don't know of any reporters from Des Moines, but I do know who Bill Kristol is. He is a Republican media consultant. He is the editor of the Weekly Standard, a thoroughly conservative Republican rag. And, best of all, he is Dan Quayle's former Chief of Staff.

In other words, I wouldn't believe him if he told me the sky was blue! [​IMG]

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Go to www.desmoinesregister.com and search for Skinner. You will find a number of articles about her, including one which mentions that her son and his wife have tried to help with her prescription drug bills but she refuses the help.

------------------

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

The website for the Des Moines Register is http://www.dmregister.com/ . The site has several articles on Skinner, which can be found using the site search engine.

Bush really can't attack Skinner, because she is a real person. The fact that she is too proud to accept help from her son only reinforces Gore's point, because a lot of seniors are in the same position, and even more don't have wealthy children. I think it's kind of creative that they "hijacked" her as an example for the Bush campaign.

The most disturbing thing in reference to Ms. Skinner was actually another comment made by Gore in the debate, something to the effect of, "Ms. Skinner traveled from her home in Iowa all the way to Boston in her Winnebego to be here with us tonight." -- giving the impression that Ms. Skinner made a personal sacrifice to drive her own beat-up RV cross country to attend the debate.

From the first article below: Gore has invited 11 "common folks" to Tuesday's debate, including can scavenger Winifred Skinner. Since she won't fly, the campaign is driving her to Boston in an RV. She left Friday.

Des Moines Register: Column by: ROB BORSELLINO -- Register Columnist -- 09/30/2000 http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/12500002.html

Des Moines Register: Parties debate which drug plan fits Skinner best http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/12500003.html
    Note, has the line about the Democratic response to the Bush Campaign using Skinner as an example, "Democrats, upset that Republicans would try to hijack their "poster senior," charge that Skinner would have a long wait under Bush's plan."

Des Moines Register: National spotlight shines on pop-can collector http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/12500002.html

Des Moines Register: Can collector refuses offers of help http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/12518635.html

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

8. oeilpere

oeilpere Member