1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The tide in the US led war on ISIS has started to turn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanking him for killing more civilians and aid workers or......?

Exiled likes this.
  2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How many relics of the past have these guys destroyed. I hope there's at least accurate models if not precise 3D printing of all the lost artifacts and structures these guys destroyed. Just a f'ing shame.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For carrying the banner of white supremacist sacks of garbage everywhere.

Thanks!

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is being worked on, even using pre-Isis controlled photographs to create 3D images that can then be used to produce something. Trafalgar Square will be hosting a recreation in the coming months. Of course it is not the same but the idea is to at least raise awareness and preserve something more than photos.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's very good to know. The loss of such valuable historical artifacts and structures is horrible. I feel guilty worrying about that with all the loss of life, but emotionally it really bothers me.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it is weird but it seems like more of a violation. I guess because of however many wars where objects of historical value were preserved.

But now I see that the Arch of Triumph from Palmyra was already put up in Trafalgar and is now gone. I wasn't in London at the time so I missed it. Obviously such things are better to 3D scan before they become overrun by conflict so that reproductions can be more accurate but what they have done "translating" from photography is still pretty good. This is the future of heritage conservation and preservation even aside from conflict so we will have to get more used to giving up some authenticity of time for authenticity of physical structure at a certain time.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Dei

Dei Member

For turning the tide of war in Syria.

I dunno about that but he's anti-gay so I like him.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Turning the tide in favor of a brutal dictator who is one of the worst in the world, and has repeatedly used chemical weapons against his own civilians?

You are definitely on the wrong side.

Ask someone you know that has any kind of military intel on Assad. They don't have to give you specifics(because they can't) but just ask them where he ranks on the list of murderous, brutal, criminal, dictators.

9. Dei

Dei Member

Says who? There was no hard evidence on that. When Russia intervened, the deal brokered was on the premise that there was an absence of use of chemical weapons. Syria surrendered their chemical weapons cache.

US intel on Syria seems to be at the same level as WMDs in Iraq. Depends on how the military defines "brutal". On the same scale as ISIS? Doubt it. "Civilians"? Depends on whether or not they count rebel fighters with guns. Civilian death is nigh-inevitable in every conflict but it would be unfair to blame it all on Assad. We don't even know the values of the rebel forces the US is supporting.

For sure, though, if Obama had his way, ISIS would be running all over Syria and it wouldn't be a stretch to think that country would be another Libya.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Authenticity is already a difficult topic to wrap my mind around, so it's interesting thing to ponder with VR and 3D printing entering an age of mass adoption.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Everyone is like: Assad is such a bad guy for locking up political prisoners, but can I get some more of that ethical Saudi oil.

lol

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Everyone? .... anyone ?

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Nobody has said that merely locking up political prisoners is what makes Assad a bad guy. That is probably the least of his offenses.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You seem to be mistaken. Use of the chemical weapons was in fact confirmed by the UN. Yes Assad was supposed to have turned over all of his weapons 3 years ago, and yet the U.S. has been able to confirm that he's used chemical weapons attacks this year. He's been using chemical weapons involving chlorine because the chlorine itself is legal, but weaponized chlorine is not legal.

Your defense of Assad is disappointing. It is also laughable that you think Obama would prefer to have ISIS running all over Syria.

15. Cohete Rojo

Maybe it's his stance on not forcing women into male-owned property roles that has people so outraged.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, it has to do with using chemical weapons on civilians multiple times, murdering and torturing civilians, disallowing all political opposition. If you can support those kinds of things, that's on your conscience. I'm not going get behind any leader that allies themselves with that.

17. Cohete Rojo

Who do you think Salafi Arabia is ruled by? The Syrian Civil War's rebel factions have received massive support from an equally, if not, worse familial dictatorship. Assad is no winner, but I'm not so blind to think that the takfiri militants he is fighting are angels.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

I will make it simple for you considering how mentally challenged you are :
    when Isis strikes civilians ,they are no better/worse than Russian . By supporting killing of innocents you are not any better than those who you root for

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm not trumpeting the glory of Saudi Arabia. But as awful as they are, and as much as I dislike them, they aren't even close to being as horrible as Assad. The Rockets were closer to beating Golden State last year than Saudi rulers are to being as bad as Assad.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The battle for Mosul is coming soon.
    _____

U.S. to send more troops to Iraq ahead of Mosul battle

The United States will send around 600 new troops to Iraq to assist local forces in the battle to retake Mosul from Islamic State that is expected later this year, U.S. and Iraqi officials said on Wednesday.

The new deployment is the third such boost in U.S. troop levels in Iraq since April, underscoring the difficulties President Barack Obama has had in extracting the U.S. military from the country.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said in a statement that his government asked for more U.S. military trainers and advisers. Obama called it a "somber decision."

"I've always been very mindful that when I send any of our outstanding men and women in uniform into a war theater, they're taking a risk that they might not come back," Obama said during a town hall event at a military base in Fort Lee, Virginia, televised on CNN.

The new troops will train and advise Iraqi security forces and Kurdish peshmerga forces, primarily in the Mosul fight, but also serve "to protect and expand Iraqi security forces' gains elsewhere in Iraq," U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said.

"We've said all along - whenever we see opportunities to accelerate the campaign, we want to seize them," Carter said.

Though Iraqi forces will be in the combat role, "American forces combating ISIL in Iraq are in harm's way," Carter said, using an acronym for Islamic State.

Some of the 615 new service members will be based at Qayara air base, about 40 miles (60 km) from Mosul, Carter said. Iraqi forces recaptured the base from Islamic State militants in July and have been building it into a logistics hub to support their offensive into the northern city.

Other U.S. troops will go to Ain al Asad air base in western Iraq, where hundreds of U.S. personnel have been training Iraqi army forces.

Carter, who spoke to reporters while traveling in New Mexico, declined to name other locations where the new U.S. forces will be based.

However, he said some of the forces would help enhance intelligence gathering efforts, particularly related to Islamic State's plans to conduct attacks outside its own territory.

"We are prepared to continue to help the Iraqi security forces consolidate their control over the country," Carter said.

"Mosul will be the last of the very large cities that needs to be recaptured, but they’ll need to continue to consolidate control over the whole city,” he added, leaving the door open for U.S. forces to remain in Iraq after the fall of Mosul.

Mosul is Islamic State's de facto Iraqi capital.

In Washington, Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said the troops would be deployed to Iraq in the coming weeks.

Three U.S. service members have been killed in direct combat since the launch of the U.S. campaign against Islamic State.

Abadi met with Obama and Vice President Joe Biden last week on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly in New York, though it was not clear whether the agreement was sealed there.

The United States currently has 4,565 troops in Iraq as part of a U.S.-led coalition providing extensive air support, training and advice to the Iraqi military, which collapsed in 2014 in the face of Islamic State's territorial gains and lightning advance toward Baghdad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-usa-idUSKCN11Y1G8