1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans (reportedly) love Patrick Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Egghead, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Treeza

Treeza Member

PPat and PPete?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm going to give you an Hawaiian name....Peepyopee.

[​IMG]

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's right. I mean, all we have to do is draft Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, Von Miller, and Marcell Dareus and we're there baby!

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You can potentially find 2 starters on the defensive side in the first 2 rounds. We also need to stay healthy. Meaning that Connor Barwin, Demeco, and Mario remain on the field all season.

#84 sammy, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. sammy

delete: repost

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's what we did with Mario and Demeco. But really, who believes the Texans are going to nail this draft?

7. sammy

The 11th position in the draft is pretty good for a team with talent. It's crazy how it could have been higher but we ended the season so poorly because of injuries esp on the defensive side of the ball.

A good draft and a key FA acquisition (keeping fingers crossed) could make the Texans finally turn the corner. All i can do is hope. Been seeing a lot of negativity and rightfully so I guess.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two new defensive starters in the draft or chalk this one up as a fail by Smith and Phillips. Also, we should be able to find a defensive starter in FA as well - hopefully in the secondary.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wishing doesn't make it so

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Michael Huff is also going to be on the market, along with Asomugawa. If they fail to bring in 2 legit, good, competent starters for that secondary....well, actually, that's probably what's going to happen. :-/

11. msn

msn Member

obligatory "get 'er done, Morey".

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I agree entirely. Low wonderlic and mental fortitude are two separate characteristics, and I only use VY as my example because he was the only other one who I've heard had such a low score in such a high prospect.

Concerning learning a defensive scheme, it may not even have to come to that. Of course CB is one of the harder positions to acclimate to, but for someone being touted as the next shutdown corner, the most common type of assignment he'll be given: man coverage, there can't be a lot of things the coach will try to change. One of the reasons Nnamdi wanted out was because he thought he was being underutilized on defense. Now PP might not be ambitious enough to want more like that, but if he can provide the same security Nnamdi has over the years that's more than enough.

An easy task for most franchises and their scouting teams.

13. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I would honestly LOVE this move. Peterson is going to be a top 5 DB in the NFL the second he is drafted.

14. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

It would be a miracle if the Texans could get him.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iCj46BMErlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. The Bird

The Bird Member

Well this is Patrick Peterson in the cotton bowl. Looks like he does a pretty solid job.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXJ4FcW8Nug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Actually not one of his better games.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he may be top 5 in 3 years, but not the second he is drafted.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm all for it.

We will suck just enough this year to get Kubes and Smith canned and still get to keep an all-pro prospect!

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Who cares about scheme? All we need him to do is create his own island for the receiver he is guarding.

1 person likes this.
  20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Not being able to trade players (or future picks?) will make it hard for us to trade up to get him, so I'm not holding my breath. However...with this supposedly being Kubiak and Smith's final chances, I think they would jump all over the opportunity to trade up for Peterson (or anyone else that would provide an instant, can't miss upgrade). All they care about is winning this year, so if we have to mortgate the future and trade our #1 this year and our #1 or #2 next year, they'll do it.

I'm torn between the idea of trading up. We could really use a good draft pick that can come in and contribute immediately, but we also have many glaring holes to fill.

Looking at where the Texans are right now, if I had to make a choice, I would probably trade up if we could get Miller or Peterson. If we can't, then I wouldn't mind trading back a few spots and picking up an extra pick (maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder) if we can nab someone like Quinn (probably doubtful) or Prince (I'm not going to try to spell his last name).

I just hope we get some players that can contribute, and, most importantly, stay on the field.

What is the better way to look at it? Get 1 for sure can't miss player and 3-4 maybes (while possibly trading away future picks and/or players), or get 7-8 maybes? Given our track record, I'll most likely take the can't miss scenario.

Pugs