1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans 3rd Head Coach will be...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Dec 6, 2013.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think it is going to be Chuckie.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dom Capers

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

And draft Derek Carr #1 overall, under the condition that he wears #8, grows out his hair, and stars in local ads all over the place?

Sold.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Pete Carmichael, David Shaw, Lovie Smith or Greg Roman. Cowher & Gruden look far too comfortable in the TV booth to want get back into the coaching grinder/blender.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

From the presser:
    Some people we'll visit with are in coaching positions now.
    [D]efensive coordinators have been more successful than offensive coordinators but not by a large percentage. It's based on the individual. We're looking for a coach that is bright, ethical, whose culture fits with our organization. Someone who is innovative, flexible, can make adjustments and has great energy.
    We would like someone with head coach experience and NFL experience. Combo of those two things is the ideal situation.
    There are some not coaching now that will be considered. Lovie is a good example.

Unspoken at the press conference:
    Whoever we hire will agree to have Rick Smith as his GM

As badly as I want him, I think you have to scratch off Cowher, and probably Gruden. Those two would require godfather offers, and I can't fathom either one agreeing to work "for" Rick Smith. Ditto for the very unlikely scenario of Mike Shanahan.

No coordinators making a jump to the big seat for the first time. No college coach jumping to the NFL for the first time. Strongly implied that they have their eye on more than one current NFL coordinator with previous HC experience. Lightly implied they may lean toward a defensive-minded coach.

My gut feeling is that Lovie Smith is the leading candidate, but I hope that won't be the case.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Gruden appeals to me because he's shown to be a QB coach (like Kubiak) along with a "balls to the wall" attitude. I understand that Cowher has been a much more consistent coach, but I feel like management had a lot to do with that. Also Lovie Smith and his passive attitude would remind me of Kubiak too much

Either way you can't go wrong.

Just please don't put us through a college coach experiment. I could tolerate Shaw, but Sumlin would give me a mini-stroke

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I like the idea of either Shaw or Whisenhunt.

8. Apps

Apps Member

We can seek solace in knowing that this position will naturally attract at least a few big names. As far as talent goes this team still has a bunch, and being poised for such a potentially fruitful draft next year, I can't imagine a better situation for any prospective head coach.

9. Raven

Raven Member

He's got to be considered.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Peter King on <a href="https://twitter.com/CSNHouston">@CSNHouston</a>: &quot;If you fix the QB position, you fix the offensive line, this is a walk-in job. This is a walk-in playoff team.&quot;</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/409104048957046784">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>King:&quot;If..candidates walk in and Rick.Smith says our QB on opening day is going to be Matt Schaub…I’d have lot of skepticism about this job.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/409105475532095488">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

11. Raven

Raven Member

Then Rick Smith must be a puppet, who wasn't responsible for most of the dumber decisions, because he should have been the third guy fired this morning.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It is absurd to think that they would eliminate anyone without previous head coaching experience, and is just close minded and stupid on McNair's part if true.

I have a feeling Wade Phillips ends up being the coach, which would be shameful. I'd rather have Kubiak than Wade, to be honest. But having Wade stay permanent is a bumblin move that seems about right for this franchise.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Keenan McCardell on <a href="https://twitter.com/CSNHouston">@CSNHouston</a>: “This is a Jon Gruden team.”</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/409114027181088768">December 7, 2013</a></blockquote>

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Given the history of this franchise and decisions made by Bob McNair, I will be pleasantly surprised if the head coach for the Texans next season is anyone other than Wade Phillips.

And if it's Wade, I'm not at all certain that's even a bit of an upgrade from Kubiak.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Some outside shot names

Kirk Ferentz (Texans have reached out to him BOTH of the last two times they looked for a coach)
    Mike Sherman
    Mike Nolan
    Jim Mora, Jr.
    Mike Holmgren (wants to coach again)

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Wade it is.

17. justtxyank

At the beginning of the season I would have said Wade, but after getting to know people in the organization, I'd be shocked if it is Wade.

18. MadMax

Good to hear you say that. Or good to see you type that. Or something.

19. justtxyank

People are underrating how unhappy Bob McNair is. The firing of Marciano today should be a signal to everyone that he shares in our frustrations. I mean firing the special teams coach when you fire your head coach but no one else? That was a Corleone moment.

20. MadMax

I hear ya..but geez, how many years did it take him to work up enough anger to fire the guy? It's so long overdue that's it ridiculous.