1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (3.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., May 2, 2014.

?

Number one pick?

Poll closed May 8, 2014.
  1. Teddy Bridgewater

4.3%
  2. Jadeveon Clowney

40.6%
  3. Khalil Mack

4.3%
  4. Johnny Manziel

24.2%
  5. Trade the pick(minimum of: swap of 2014 1st rd picks; future 1st; 2014 2nd rd pick)

25.8%
  6. Still undecided

0.8%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

6 days out. I think most are locked in with who they want.

One final poll on draft day.

#1 J.R., May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Reggie Bush.

1 person likes this.
  3. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

For me, I am unable to decide between three options and my opinion changes daily. Each of the three prospects intrigues me equally, and I can safely say that I'd be truly happy if the Texans selected any of them.

Jadaveon Clowney: The idea of pairing him up with JJ Watt may just be too good to pass up. Our pass rush would become extraordinary better, as not only would Clowney and Watt be faced with far fewer double teams, but more pass rushing lanes would certainly be opened up for other members of our front-7. However, I don't find Clowney to be the infallible prospect that some people make him out to be, and that he definitely has his flaws and concerns, just like any other player in this draft.

Teddy Bridgewater: His recent fall in the offseason has certainly made me weary, but I fell in love with him during the college season and I'm not so willing to denounce what I witnessed with my own eyes. His command at the line-of-scrimmage is startlingly impressive for a college QB; his pocket presence, ability to go through progressions and pick apart defenses in the intermediate zone just scream elite potential to me. Of course, his physical limitations can be worrisome.

Johnny Manziel: Clearly the most risky pick, but also the most exciting. People too often obsess over his polarizing ability to extend plays and often overlook his ability to make difficult NFL throws, which he certainly can.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I picked trade but my guy is Mack. I think there's a chance they even take him #1 if they can't move down.

To me the perfect draft is to get Mack at 4-6, then either trade up into the 20s to grab Bortles/Bridgewater if they fall. Otherwise I'm waiting until the third round to grab the best available QB, or trading for an additional 2nd rd pick to get the guy you want mid-late 2nd round.

5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I hope they just stay at 1 and get Clowney (some say hes a rare talent that only comes around every 10 years (and were going to pass on him) come on man..
    Just pick him and hoe one of the QB's falls (I wouldnt be suprised if Teddy falls)
    Now if Manziel drops after the 10 pick than you explore every option to trade up into the 1st to get him (just my opinion) if no QB drops than you trade your 2ns Round pick for an early 2nd (of course) + their 3rd and maybe 4th? something like this--cant wait

6. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

J.R.

You caved and added the trade option!?!?! As you previously explained in 2.0 I think there are so many variables for a trade down that are hard to judge. For example what if the haul you described is on the table but its with Dallas at #16. That a looooong way to move down.

I believe the Texans are going to draft Clowney, but I wish they would draft Manziel.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd take Bridgewater over Bortles but it's weird Bridgewater, who might go 2nd round is included in the poll when Bortles isn't (I hate Bortles).

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

i guess im the only guy that chose mack

9. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

It's a real tough choice, but I selected trade.

Jadaveon Clowney will in all likelihood be a perennial All-Pro and an unstoppable force. Especially considering the lack of double teams he'll see with JJ Watt lining up alongside.
    I think the knock on his 'want-to' is a bit exaggerated. If he came out last year he would have most likely been the top pick with much less questions about his motor. The fact that he saw the best running back in college football,, on his own team, Lattimore, tear the crap out of his knee really affected his mindset. Now he is a healthy beast with off-the-charts potential and I would love to see him terrorize Andrew Luck for the next ten years.

On the other hand, this is supposedly the deepest draft in a 'decade' to quote the chron. With that being said, this team has a lot of holes to fill and multiple picks could really help us out. I only hope we don't use a twenty something first round pick on one of these mediocre quarterbacks. Ideally, Kahlil Mack and Louis Nix/Ryan Shazier/Kyle Fuller(assuming Donald is gone) in the first round.

Either choice I would be happy, so long as we don't waste it on a B grade QB.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

I did cave. :eek:

I don't see them trading out of the top ten or really top six with Atlanta. The further they drop, the greater haul they better receive.

Right there with you on the 2<sup>nd</sup> part.

Sorry, there just isn't any support here for Bortles so I excluded him here. That isn't to say, though, that the Texans won't select him (after a trade down).

11. Remii

Remii Member

Well he did put a "minimum trade package." I think it's safe to assume if they were going to trade with a team outside the top 10 like Dallas it would be a bigger trade offer for the Texans to move back that far.

You may be right about Clowney though. We'll know real soon.

12. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

So which one did you vote for?

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Option 1: Trade
    Option 2: Clowney

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

if bortles ends up being the pick....

lol

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I still feel like "trade down" is a cop out since

1. We don't know that's even an option
    2. We'd have no idea what kind of trade packages would be offered even if one were offered

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

If we had options of the first two picks that would be more interesting like i.e.:

Mack + Bridgewater
    Clowney + Mettenberger
    Manziel + Tuitt
    Matthews + Jimmy G
    Clinton Dix + Savage
    etc.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would take Clowney 1, and the best QB avaliable at 2.1-Derek Carr

If Bridgewater is there. Take him.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Manziel or Clowney, but my preference is Manziel, and that's who I voted for.

But it's got to be one of those two players. I think trading down is a mistake bigger than the Astrodome, and we know what's going to happen to the Astrodome.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

trade down, the boring pick
    but your just dropping a couple of spots and adding picks the team needs, especially if you end up with Mack after trading

Mack, a mid round 2nd and a trade piece to trade up for THE QB next year would be better than just Clowney. With a mid round #1 and a high #1 you could probably get whichever 2015 QB you wanted...Mariotta Winston Petty Hundley

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a summary of mock drafts that are out there, looks like a consensus to me.

[​IMG]