1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm not sure exactly what needs to happen in order to dethrone the establishment at the top of the men's game right now, but I do know that I'm excited for what comes next. I think I've said this on this board before, but as much as I can appreciate the greatness of Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic, and enjoy the occasional success of a Murray or Del Potro as a usurper, I'm ready for some more uncertainty.

Some bemoan the state of the women's game, where there's no clear hierarchy from year to year after Serena, but I actually like that. I enjoy having absolutely no idea who will make it to the final weekend, which is a feeling that we don't really get to have on the men's tour with any regularity.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

The US open may need to redesign the center court. Players are dying in there.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This finals is wacko.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just wow.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Asterisk final no matter who wins?

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why? Osaka outplayed her.

basso and whag00 like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Judge gave her some points so he tainted the match despite Osaka out playing Serena.

I feel bad for this girl she knows whats up and people will be talking about Serena and the judge not her win. Osaka is crying at the podium right now because she knows what's up.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

She was already ahead, in the second set. She wasn't losing in the 3rd set.

It unfortunate that this nonsense is gonna be the headline, but she won, period. An asterisk suggests a result that isn't valid.

basso likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I posted that right after the incident as a possibility, but there should be no doubt Osaka was the better player and deserved to win. It's unfortunate the joy of her moment was marred and how history will record this.

I felt sorry for her during the ceremony. This reminded me of when the Warriors retired Chris Mullens' jersey.

#89 A_3PO, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    basso likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Osaka was playing the GOAT! Serena has come back against better players. There was no guarantee Serena was going to lose that set especially at the US Open where she is so dominate.

I do agree Osaka one period.

Serena not answering questions so she didn't take away from Osaka's moment was cool.

11. TheresTheDagger

I've seen champions emotional before at a trophy ceremony but never because they felt horrible.

The chair umpire needs to reign in his ego and give players a chance to gather themselves. At the very least verbally warn them they are crossing the line.

12. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Like school on a Saturday...

Did any male player tell a line judge they were going to shove a ball down their effing throat?

Senator likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Serena is one of the most unlikable athlete on Earth, can't believe she's playing the im a mom card, are you kidding me.

wasn't it just a few years ago she threatened to kill the lines person for calling foot faults. what the hell is her problem, roid rage?

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Settle down gangsta.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

name another tennis player our tour today that's as classless. nick kyrgios throws tantrums, but it's mostly at himself, nobody else in tennis does what Serena does when she's losing.

Tennis is pretty tame, her behavior is disgusting

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Nobody else in tennis does what Serena does when she is winning. There are plenty of ******* winners. There are plenty of great players across sports that are terrible, whinny losers in defeat. You don't have to like her to respect her record. I don't think Serena is classless at all, especially all the stuff she has gone through in her career.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You literally cannot name another player on tour that is of a sore loser as Serena is in the past 2 decades. She never gives any credit to her opponents when she loses, she gets upset at reporters after losses or refuses to do interviewed, she verbally abuses refs when she's about to lose, (telling the lines persons she's going to shove ball down her throat).

And today, literally ruined the entire moment for Osaka, but being a damn drama queen. She knows exactly what she's doing when she got an infraction, and she kept pushing it until she lost the game, then she will play the "my baby daughter" victim card.

I don't care about her records, they are great, she's the greatest women's tennis players, but she's also the most unsportsmanlike person on tour.

AroundTheWorld and astros123 like this.
  19. Senator

Senator Member

Serena is a brute and tries to bully chairs when she is losing in big games like clockwork. It has never happened while winning.

Her loutish tactics work against the young girls she plays with because of her muscles and physical strength, but not against educated adults. There is a difference between players who swear at no one in particular out of frustration and those who get in the face of linesgirls and chairs and get very personal with attacks or insults. Yes, we hear men swear in frustration, but not directly at the chair... "I am going to shove this ball down your throat." Show me an incident of that where the man wasn't penalized. This chair umpire is highly respected as well so no... he didnt have it out for her. He addressed the situation as it unfolded to someone who was already 2 games away from elimination.

This has nothing to do with race or sex, so do not take away from Japan's first player to deservingly win a grand slam. I am embarrassed by the American medias fear to tell it like it is.

AroundTheWorld and Svpernaut like this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Shrug* I would care more if tennis was a team sport. Focus on the ball. it's the only thing that matters in tennis. If tantrums has made Serena the GOAT everyone else is doing it wrong.

#100 DreamShook, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018