1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Teflon Don, Shane Battier.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Dec 30, 2008.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm still trying to figure why this guy gets a free ride on this board. He has been terrible this season and avg since he's been with the Rox. Is it because he's a clean image ex-blue devil? What is it? We talk intangibles and how great he is at them, but what skill do a player use when the team is offensively struggling and you are suppose to be a complete player? Why the free ride? I mean its one thing to mythically shut down a high scoring wing and that takes away your offense, but when you have no one to chase and shut down, why can't he elevate his offense?

I mean I'm not bringing Gay into this, but the rox gave up #8 and a player for him. He was the #6 draftee and has been on the decline every since. Rafer and Battier at the same time without Tracy and Yao having really good scoring games is useless. He doesn't attack the basket, he doesn't make cuts that results in layups either. I guess that's too tangible for him. He should be on the block as much as anyone on this roster.

2. ibm

ibm Member

battier has been playing noticeably subpar this season comparing to the past. recovering from surgery might be part of the reason. i don't think he's untouchable, though i really like the guy. but he deserves a chance. we shall see how he plays after a complete heal. otherwise, there is someone who deserve to be booted before him...

any trade are you suggesting, leebigez?

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I suggest we trade Battier, Hayes and good chemistry to the devil for a 7 footer and a swingman who can jump through the roof and drugs and guns. That'll do it.

4. Lovemachine2000

The man gives his best effort every night despite his recovering from injury; so far this season he may not have been the defensive stopper he was, but he'll be back to his former self as the season progresses; he is not a talented offensive player, but he's shooting 40% from 3-point line; most importantly, you just don't see him quit on any play, something T-Mac and even Yao does (Anyone noticed last night when TMac turned the ball over to Mike James, then let him drive up the court for a layup untouched? Battier and Artest would never let that happen). At $6.5 million per year, I think he's earning every bit of his salary.

5. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Outlaw or Webster for Battier?

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Because he is a defensivly minded player. He doesnt have to score, just play tough D on the other team's scorer. We have plenty of other players who are scorers.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Salary wise = Good return (although not so much, this year so far).

Initial cost (Lottery pick) = Poor return.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1. He is still not 100% from his injury. He had been an iron man until this injury. So give him a break.

2. Who says he is a complete player? :confused:

3. If you cannot see how valuable he is on defense, I don't know what to say. He and Chuck Hayes are two of the smartest defenders in the league.

4. I don't think it has anything to do with him being from Duke. In fact, Dukies have a reputation of not doing very good in the NBA.

5. Swift had negative trade value. We "forced" Memphis to take him off our hands in order for us to give them the #8 pick for Battier.

6. He works hard, never complains. He's not the most talented guy. But he is an overachiever with what he has.

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

To the rest of the world, Battier is an overrated, unathletic, offensively-inept, bench-quality player.

In Houston (and China), he is our savior.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Complete nonsense.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Battier free ride? HA! He's included in almost every trade idea on this board! Battier does a great job and yet asinine Rockets fans constantly criticize him!

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He has not been playing well this season but, like Yao, he gets a bit of a pass for poor play due to his effort and his work ethic.

13. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Because he doesn't give up on fastbreaks and defensive assignments...

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

yes. It's very hard for some of these people to criticize players if they always try hard. Sometimes people just aren't good enough and no one wants to say that.

leebigez, you're one of my favorite poster here because you care about results. I don't care about how great of a person Shane is or how hard he works or how intelligent he is. What are the results? If we can bring in a dumbass lazy player who produces more than so be it.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Garbage

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Name them...

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Shane was brought in as a role player to compliment the skills of our superstars as well as hide their weaknesses. Unfortunately, when the stars are injured or are not producing the role players are unable to consistently pick up the slack for them. They were never brought in to be anything other the pieces around the franchise players.

When people complain about Shane or Chuck's offense it makes me wonder why these guys are getting skewered for not being able to do Tracy and Yao's job.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is spot on.

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The point is that Tracy and Yao are never able to do their jobs consistently over the course of a season and into the playoffs. They are not the next Kobe and Shaq (as leebigez wisely put it).

The theory is fundamentally flawed to begin with. If McGrady and Yao were the next coming of the younger Shaq and Kobe, then maybe this theory of building around Tracy and Yao would work.

As it stands, Tracy and Yao are good players, not great, and THEY ARE INCONSISTENT GO TO GUYS. Therefore, putting offensive scrubs like Rafer and Battier with them doesn't work. We need guys around our Big Two that can COMPENSATE FOR THEIR LACK OF OFFENSE AS WELL AS THEIR LACK OF DEFENSE.

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I find nothing wrong with Battier's game. He plays hard every night as hard as anyone on the team....so there is nothing to criticize him. He's efficient on everything...fundamentally sound. No rushing shot, no turnover...taking charges..play tough D....if he miss shots....he missed shot..but you know he will make it because he's a hell of shooter and it's been proven in the past..so there is nothing there to criticize him.