1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Tao of Yao.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jscmedia, Dec 16, 2003.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Hi, jscmedia here.

I want to invite you Rockets fans to join me for a live interview with Oliver Chin, author of the new book The Tao of Yao, today, Tuesda 12/16, on-line at 5:30 PM central, or 3:30 Pacific and 6:30 Eastern. Below is a review from Publishers Weekly, no light weight org. , on the new book. You can call in with comments and also questions for Oliver.

I broadcast on line at www.wisdomradio.com, or on channel 143 on Sirius Satellite Radio. www.sirius.com The call in line is 1-800-655-2112.

Thanks, and hope you can join me.

Scott Cluthe,
    Executive Producer, Wisdom Today

In this clever twist on the traditional sports biography, Chin focuses on the
    7'5" Yao Ming, the Chinese-born basketball star whose skills during his first
    year playing with the NBA's Houston Rockets were nothing short of remarkable.
    Chin (author of the graphic novel Nine of One) deftly weaves Yao's biography and
    the events of his first season as Houston's number-one draft pick with an explanation of Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching - along with numerous quotes from this venerable Chinese philosophical classic - as a way of explaining the phenomenon
    of a player who is "redefining how Asians could view themselves, as well as the image of the athlete in modern society."

Chin is a skilled writer with an obvious love of basketball who provides compelling insights into Yao's skills, such as how his role as the linchpin for both the Rocket's offense and defense, makes him, in a Taoist sense, the "anti-center" - "Embodying the qualities of water, he is fluid as much as fixed." But Chin sometimes overreaches, such as in his view that "y understanding the basic Taoist relationship between difficult and easy, Yao was able to draw upon Lao's timeless wisdom for comfort in the here and now." A
    player like Yao who signs a $200,000 endorsement deal with Nike can be seen as far more Western than Eastern, a point which Chin himself makes in other good observations about Houston's expanding Asian-American community and the
    remarkable media savvy that Yao has shown when dealing with NBA superstars like Shaquille O'Neal and Charles Barkley.

- Publishers Weekly, 12/15/03
    www.wisdomradio.com www.sirius.com

2. Charvo

Charvo Member

This is why Les Alexander is not going to trade Yao. Les Alexander is rich because he is a smart businessman. Yao can be Vlade Divac, but a billion fans will still be there. I doubt any books would be written about Tim Duncan if he did what Yao did last year.

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

And Chin will also be selling authentic and signed "Towel of Yao" face handkercheifs at his book signing at Walden books tomorrow for 200$ each. Each towel is handmade by an authentic "Taoist*" Chinese person and will go to help their poor developing country**.

* probably not taoist

**China is actually not poor

whats the name of that popular reel big fish song? ;)

4. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Can't even get Yao's height right

:eek:

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

"Tao of Yao" ?
    'Tao' of a 23 years old basketball player?:rolleyes:

How about 'Tao of Money'?

6. tongoj

tongoj Member

Hey, my middle name is "Tao". aww...I like my share in Cash form please. :D

7. DCballer

DCballer Member

Hey, this is not a site to post ads. If your are going to post an ad atleast make a deposit in the tip jar, cheap ass. :mad:

8. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Can't be any worse than those "Leadership Secrets of Jesus Christ" books. Or maybe it can? :rolleyes: