1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Surprising Mystery of Alarm Clock Shopping Online

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrewP, Mar 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I need personal recommendations for a bedside alarm clock. I was pretty surprised to find very few up-to-date or relevant reviews from reputable sites during my initial search.

I use a great app called Sleep Cycle on my android phone but I would like a separate backup solution.

Positives would be:
    Large Display
    Not crazy expensive
    Battery backup

I don't need it to sync with my phone, record my dreams, or be my spirit guide. Just something to wake me up when my phone fails me.

What do you use?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. The Boz

The Boz Member

Emerson SmartSet Dual Alarm AM/FM Clock Radio With SureAlarm.

I own an older model but has same functions. Love it. After the initial set up, you will NEVER have to set the time EVER again. Power failure, time change, leap year, or even unplugging it. Alarm also sounds without power.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerson-SmartSet-Dual-Alarm-AM-FM-Clock-Radio-With-SureAlarm/12546102

Different model on Amazon if you don't like Wally World.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Smartset-Alarm-Clock-Radio/dp/B000A5I0G6

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing that dog wants an alarm clock.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My Amazon Echo doesn't have a display but it makes for an awesome bedside alarm clock.

6. Nero

Nero Member

When did you get that?? I thought they weren't even being shipped until some time in June??

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Philips Wake Light Alarm.

You're welcome. :)

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Gone my entire life without an alarm clock. An amazing biological clock that I can set mentally and it works. All that said just got two kittens, and now I officially have two alarm clocks at 6am each day. They too seem to be biologically set. So get kittens!

9. DrewP

That Emerson one seems up my alley. But I would have to leave the house to get it ugggggghhhhh
    I've looked into this but I worry about waking my girlfriend up. Also I sometimes work overnight shifts so i'm not sure if that would wake me up when there is already light leaking into the room. What has your experience been like?

This is way out of line and totally unfair to basset hounds. She only sleeps maybe 22 or 23 hours a day :)

10. conquistador#11

my dog always wakes me up for his walk. he will shake his collar with the tags. After I ignore, he half climbs to the bed and does it again. After I ignore that, he finally jumps on the bed and barks by my ear a couple of times. ruff story breh.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I got mine last month. It signed up the day it was announce so I got the second batch that was shipped.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Well, how is it? I ordered one, but it's still mostly a mystery to me.

13. DrewP

Take his collar off at night and restrict his access to the bedroom.

They call me..... the dog whisperrrrr....the dog virtuoso

14. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I got mine a few months back. Love the thing. And yes, I use it as an alarm clock as well. You'll get so used to talking to "Alexa," you'll want to make voice commands elsewhere outside the home, but then you'll remember you don't have the Echo with you. It gets updated every now and then as well. For example, when I first got it it wouldn't do sports scores. Now I can check the Rockets schedule and scores as well.

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

If you need an intense alarm get the Sonic Boom.

What's your price range? I am not sure what you mean by "crazy expensive." You could find a number of cheap clocks with the features you mentioned.

If you are looking at alarms in the Emerson price range just buy a Sony or RCA. Emerson products are terrible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007T0W5CA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_S12cvb1BWMAM6

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. The Boz

The Boz Member

18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Have heard good things about these Philips Wake Light alarms and think I might get one. Those of you that like them, what model are you using? Obviously the one that Commodore posted looks promising but wondering if other models are worth the extra cost.

19. Buck Turgidson

Every day I wake up about 30 minutes before something like this

[​IMG]

mother nature is my alarm clock.