1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Sun is Blowing Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 10, 2011.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

true. They are predicting the next couple of years to be very active. Possibly an extreme event similar to what happened in 1859, which reportedly caused telegraphs to catch ablaze.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ If we had an event like the 1859 super eruption the earth would be royally screwed. The modern age would grind to a halt because every transmission line on the planet that wasn't buried would be fried. The surge would probably take out the lines underground too, but that isn't certain.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Out of the ground? :eek:

:p

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No clutchfans? :(

I think this is temporary -- the sun is known to be a big Lebron fan.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JeGRNT_Sd24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Prayers sent.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Look, the sun goes up and the sun gets down.

But, like the heart of the sun, my heart continues to pound.

7. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

My understanding is that CMEs take days to travel to Earth. When one is observed, we can simply shutdown the electrical grid for impact. Disaster avoided.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I knew I smelt something burning.

9. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

just saying. lebron can't win a championship on sunday

trollface.jpg

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Damn, just realized. If China is facing the impact and we are facing away with the Earth protecting us as a shield, we wouldn't lose power; they would. We could invade them hours after impact...plunder their villages, steal all their hot women and take their tall basketball players.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Never mind we're going to freeze to death.
    _____

Rare Drop in Sunspot Activity Could Cause Little Ice Age

The sun is most likely going into hibernation as the latest unusual solar readings, including fading sunspots and weakening magnetic activity near the poles suggest that we are headed towards a solar event that hasn't happened in hundreds of years, according to new data released Tuesday at the annual meeting of the solar physics division of the American Astronomical Society in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Even though the Sun has been active recently as it heads towards solar maximum in 2013, there are three lines of evidence including a missing jet stream in the solar interior, fading sunspots on the sun's visible surface, and changes in the corona and near the poles suggest that the next 11-year-long solar cycle will be far quieter than the current one or it may not even happen.

There are some scientists at the conference who said the current findings from the studies mean that we are at the beginning of a Maunder Minimum, a 70-year period that began around 1645 when hardly any sunspots were observed.

This decline in sunspots coincided with below-normal temperatures, in a climate period known as the Little Ice Age that struck Europe and North America, where temperatures dropped by 1.8 to 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit (1-1.5 degrees Celsius). But scientists warn that the temperature change due to a decline in sunspot activity would likely be minimal and not enough to compensate for global warming.

The Maunder Minimum, a 70-year period with virtually no sunspots, coincided with the Little Ice Age, a period of unusual cold. But it has not been proven whether there is a causal connection between low sunspot activity and cold winters as that period also coincided with an upswing in volcanic emissions, which are known more definitely to contribute to global cooling.

link

12. jae713

jae713 Member

Take that global warming.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I see a 10 part History Channel special looming.

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

swing and miss :eek:

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Global warming has increased the world average temperature about 0.5 C since 1950 or so. It seems like their second sentence doesn't much agree with their first.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Black hole sun won't you come and wash away the pain.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Are you aware the the lyric is "rain", not "pain"?

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

next thing you are going to claim is that Def Leppard doesnt sing "Pour shook-up Ramen on me"

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I still hate Elton John's "Don't let your son go down on me" song. That should not be on the radio!

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

When I was a kid I was convinced Fogerty was singing "there's a bathroom on the right"