1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Starters [Episodes]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Nov 22, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

The only real show with no former players who literally have no agenda and actually have some nice discussions, use rational arguments and make it fun too. Only NBA TV is good at times, but the rest shouldn't ever be brought up since it is all nonsense: Cowherd, Undisputed, First Take, Inside the NBA etc.

2. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I like the show, but isn't this the ep where they want to give kyrie MVP over Harden coz of the 'narrative', lol...

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It's ok

Rocket River

DreamShook likes this.
  4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Meh podcast

5. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I used to like The Starters, but got turned off to them last season. They are a national staple and are playing to ratings. They didn't give enough credit to the Rockets last season...

Jontro likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's so obvious this show was put together by the league to curry favor with the potentially lucrative suburbanite market

BigShasta likes this.
  7. arubato

arubato Member

Harden was their MVP last year.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

They didn't want to, they said it will probably be kyrie because of the narrative but harden deserves it. And they're actually right about that. MVP is about narrative right now.

9. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I think they're right about the narrative part. Just look at Westbrook last season. But they didnt agree with it.

I do like the show and watch it on youtube (no adds then). But I cant stand my Australian counterpart "the international man of mystery" Lee Ellis. He constantly puts down the Rockets and Harden. And from a guy who loves the 3pt shot! SMH!

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Most of them agreed with the narrative. Tas was the only one who was on the Harden train. He even had a small argument with the skinny guy about how Harden was the clear MVP.

No he wasn't.

11. arubato

arubato Member

Skip to 36:00

pippendagimp and DreamShook like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I knew Skeets was firmly in the Westbrook camp and Tas was all Harden, I wasn't sure where the other two stood. I thought I remembered Leigh earlier in the season saying he was going Russ if he got the triple double average. I was wrong.

Can you find the exchange Tas had with Skeets about Harden and Westbrook?

arubato likes this.
  13. arubato

arubato Member

I think I remember that exchange as well. That is the reason why I got surprised that they gave it to Harden in the end. I will try to look that up.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

the few times I've watched it, they hardly ever talked rockets and when they do, it's just as a sidenote "oh bytheway" kinda thing. seems like they often take on the most popular opinion of the time and discuss. hence, i turn them off.

OTMax likes this.
  15. abaker28

abaker28 Member

By not agreeing with it, I meant how on numerous occasions last season they quoted that no mvp was chosen from a team that was in the position okc was in.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Agreed. In the big game Harden had, all they said was...yeah but 7 turnovers.

SIL

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

They had top 10 blocks so far and not one from Capela. I'd say the one on Lebron and or Gobert should've been in there.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yeah they have gone about four episodes and not one mention of Harden, the Rockets or CP3. Not even as a side not or part of the top 10 plays. Just odd..

Jontro likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

they're the same as any other mainstream media. i don't take them seriously and their knowledge is very meh.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i like the show a lot. you can't listen to true hoop/basketball analogy/whatever they call it on espn because they almost refuse to talk basketball. i like dunc'd on a lot but because they only talk about basketball (their selling point) it's not as funny. the starters seem to actually know who the players are, who is doing well or poorly without being strictly conventional wisdom, meet my minimum requirement for talking about stats, and i think the show is generally funny. the fact that they are all pretty much white guys my age probably helps with relating to their style and humor. now they can't be hot take-y because they are on nbatv so they hold back on some things a podcast like dunc'd on doesn't, but you take what you can get in basketball talk.

and i don't notice any rockets bias.