1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The smart move would be to extend Yao now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Pueblo

Pueblo Member

Come on, people. If Yao wants to come back, he is not coming back for a couple of millions. The guy has enough money and will continue to make a lot of money without playing basketball. If he could come back, he would be back to prove that he could still play basketball at a decent level.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's over. don't be stupid. rox needs to move on. it's time to rebuild the team.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't want go through another season trying to convince myself, "This team can be really good IF Yao is healthy."

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

An extension is simply a continuance of PAIN for Yao, the Rockets, and the fans. He should retire. If Les extends him it will be for purposes of financial exploitation not for the Rockets or the fans or Yao. This nightmare must end.

1 person likes this.
  5. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

he brings us a ton of revenue.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Great! Lets buy a championship with all that revenue!

Oh we can't? Well that sucks.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The smart move would be for Yao to become part owner of the team. Give some of that 17 mill. back. Call it an investment. ;)

8. Raven

Raven Member

Of course it's over. It's been over. The problem is that Les doesn't want it to end and neither does Yao. I hate to say it, but Yao will be re-signed. It's not what should be done, but it's what will be done.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This has to be the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. No disrespect, but this is disrespectful to the other players.

10. dial1revenge

dial1revenge Member

If we are thinking about signing him, we need to wait until we know he will be able to play. At this point that doesn't look likely, plus I'd be surprised if any other team would even consider signing him anyways. Right now we need to start looking for someone to man the 5, whether Yao will play or not.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

So making the team better with money, ala getting Landry, Budinger, extra 1st round picks, etc. are all idiotic if it doesn't win a championship?

I like your way of thinking. It's the way the Clippers think every year.

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The negative effects of 17 Million dollars sitting on the bench over the years outweighs the role players we got with that "extra money".

I am not against signing Yao to the minimum but I would rather see the Rockets give a young player a go first.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

When has Yao ever signed a contract that was not market value?

Was it when he got the slotted number as the #1 pick 9 years ago? Or was it when he signed a 6yr/$70 mil extension back in year 3/4?

Please tell the time when the Rockets paid Yao more than what he could've gotten elsewhere, because Les was so fixated on money he missed the chance at a championship.

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Tell me one thing Yao has done great for this franchise? Sure he's a good Center but all his injuries has done nothing to this franchise but set backs after set backs. Why waste money and cap space on his when all hes going to do is be sideline? So what? We pay him 6-7 mil to sit on the bench?

Keeping Yao will slow down our rebuilding process. The Yao's era is over. No point on trying to keep him. He's only going to take up a roster spot and cap space. I much rather hire him as an assistant coach like Patrick Ewing so he can mentor the younger guys.

15. vick

vick Member

It doest matter how much we love Yao, we have to move on. It will be another year at least if he plays again. Time to go another direction. :mad:

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Now would be a good time to hyper extend Yao's knee.

17. mrjuandiego1988

new chinese radio commentator? yao+yi= chinese jim foley and gene peterson? :grin: lol

18. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

What an idiotic idea. People need to learn to let go. It's over. Time to move on.

19. mrjuandiego1988

my grandma from mexico can do some voodoo for yao to come back.... she needs to slaughter a goat and a red rowdy for it to happen lol.....anybody in? :grin:

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

This.
    We need to move on